Toyota Prius Alpha/Plus

Yongwd

(edited)

http://www.reuters.com/article/2011/05/13/toyota-prius-idUSL3E7GD0KJ20110513?feedType=RSS&feedName=marketsNews&rpc=43

UPDATE 1-Toyota gets 25,000 pre-sale orders for Prius Alpha in Japan

May 13 (Reuters) - Toyota Motor Corp said it had received 25,000 orders for the Prius Alpha hybrid wagon and minivan models in Japan before sales start on Friday, underscoring strong demand for fuel-sipping vehicles as gasoline prices rise. That is equivalent to more than eight times its monthly sales target of 3,000 units.

The Prius Alpha is the first of an extended family of Prius models planned by the world's biggest automaker, and a sales start had been delayed from April due to production disruptions after the magnitude-9.0 earthquake on March 11. Toyota said customers will have to wait longer than usual for delivery due to the ongoing disruption to production.

Rival Honda Motor Co has also postponed sales of its Fit Shuttle station wagon, which will be available in both gasoline and gasoline-electric versions, from the initial plan of March 18.

A Honda spokesman said production of the Fit Shuttle had started in small lots this week, but that no sales date had been fixed. Honda stopped taking pre-sale orders for the car after the quake, he said.

Toyota's Prius Alpha comes in a two-row, five-seater version and a three-row, seven-seater version. Both get 31.0 km to a litre of gasoline, about twice the mileage of similarly sized conventional models, chief engineer Hiroshi Kayukawa told a news conference.

The seven-seater model is Toyota's first mass-produced car to use a lithium-ion battery. But procuring enough of the next-generation battery was difficult during the current supply chain crisis and customers with orders for the model may not be able to purchase one until next April, when tax incentives for hybrids are set to expire, Toyota said.

The five-seater version starts at 2.35 million yen ($29,000), while the seven-seater starts at 3 million yen.

Toyota first unveiled the extended Prius family at the Detroit auto show in January, announcing plans to begin selling the five-seater version, to be called the Prius v in North America, this summer. The three-row model will go on sale in Europe in mid-2012, under the name Prius+. [iD:nN10285824]

Kayukawa said Toyota would initially target monthly sales of 2,000 Prius v's in the United States and 2,000 Prius+'s in Europe.

Toyota, the pioneer in hybrid technology, has a goal of selling at least 1 million hybrid vehicles globally a year by mid-decade. It plans to offer the hybrid option across its entire line-up by 2020. ($1 = 80.945 Japanese Yen) (Reporting by Chang-Ran Kim; Editing by Chris Gallagher)

Edited by Yongwd

(edited)

So sad that Prius Alpha never made it locally ...

or the Honda Fit Shuttle ...

Edited by Valrosx
  • Praise 3

Supersonic

So sad that Prius Alpha never made it locally ...

or the Honda shuttle ...

richburg is selling the prius v. 160k for the 7-seater..... [sweatdrop][sweatdrop]

• Praise 2

The facelifted Prius Alpha looks pretty good. Are there any PIs bringing it in?

Have been eyeing on this model for quite sometime.

Spoken to some PI, they can custom import this model, estimated cost around $110K before rebate without COE. Base on the Japnese spec, the CO2 is at 89g/km which qualify for $30k rebate.

All in cost with current COE, pricing should be around $135K to $140K.

Now waiting for another PI offer for comparison before making the decision.

• Praise 3

Spoken to some PI, they can custom import this model, estimated cost around $110K before rebate without COE. Base on the Japnese spec, the CO2 is at 89g/km which qualify for $30k rebate.

Saw some Prime Taxi use this Prius Alpha, how they buy these cars?
  • Praise 1

Please share more details if you have them. 

This model looks good. 

Saw some Prime Taxi use this Prius Alpha, how they buy these cars?

If I am not wrong, they are using the Prius 1.8.post-53933-0-36313700-1469403256_thumb.jpeg

Please share more details if you have them.

This model looks good.

y

Sure, will keep you posted once more information available. Maybe we can organize a group buy to get more discount.

y

Sure, will keep you posted once more information available. Maybe we can organize a group buy to get more discount.

I was interested in this previously but the lack of availability was a major concern (esp for parts and maintenance expertise). Lack of second row aircon was a big letdown too (although there are ventilators). Nevertheless, the biggest benefits are the fuel consumption, Toyota reliability and spacious interior. Middle row with 3 full seats is a luxury in this category ad well. I think most ppl interested in this model would have gone for the Sienta instead so it might be difficult to organize a group buy.

I was interested in this previously but the lack of availability was a major concern (esp for parts and maintenance expertise). Lack of second row aircon was a big letdown too (although there are ventilators). Nevertheless, the biggest benefits are the fuel consumption, Toyota reliability and spacious interior. Middle row with 3 full seats is a luxury in this category ad well. I think most ppl interested in this model would have gone for the Sienta instead so it might be difficult to organize a group buy.

When the first thoughts of changing my ride, Sienta was first in mind.

Changed my mind after seeing the car in the show room, as it will be under power on full load (petrol version, hybrid version will be worst). The roof of Sienta is the real turn off, similar to those they have with Hiace.

Looking around for 7 seaters, not much selection. Most of it like the Toyota Triplets and Honda Stepwagon too bulky for me, looks more like a van than a MPV. 

Now am considering between Prius Alpha and Mazda 5. Will definitely go for the Alpha if is within my budget. As for Mazda 5, read the review, consumption was between 9.6 to 11 km/l is the main considering factors.

Changed my mind after seeing the car in the show room, as it will be under power on full load (petrol version, hybrid version will be worst). The roof of Sienta is the real turn off, similar to those they have with Hiace.

Looking around for 7 seaters, not much selection. Most of it like the Toyota Triplets and Honda Stepwagon too bulky for me, looks more like a van than a MPV. 

Now am considering between Prius Alpha and Mazda 5. Will definitely go for the Alpha if is within my budget. As for Mazda 5, read the review, consumption was between 9.6 to 11 km/l is the main considering factors.

Get your priority right.

Looks or 7 seaters.

7 seaters that is comfortable to all adults passenger including the last row definitely looks like a van.

That's why rich ppl in HK uses Alphard more than RR.

Seems like you're only aiming for Jap models. At this price point, the Touran is a decent candidate too. The only concern is whether they've completely fixed the gearbox problems. Else there are the French options (C4GP, Grand Scenic, 5008) or the Zafira Tourer. Think competition in this category is the main reason why the PIs are reluctant to bring the Prius Alpha in.

If I am not wrong, they are using the Prius 1.8. image.jpeg

They do have Prius 1.8 like you mentioned, have Prius Alpha as well, the car body is longer than Prius, and there is Prius a badge at the back of the car.

I dun know how to post photo here from hp.

They do have Prius 1.8 like you mentioned, have Prius Alpha as well, the car body is longer than Prius, and there is Prius a badge at the back of the car.

I dun know how to post photo here from hp.

Ya, you are right, they do have Prius Alpha in Prime Taxi. Imported in by their sister company.

Anyway, I had checked with LTA, was told that the CO2 emission was tested at 96g/km, which the CEVS falls under $15K rebate. However, I forgot to asked when was the last test conducted and on which model.

↡ Advertisement