Toyota Prius Alpha/Plus

Yongwd

If you can achieve 18 - 20 km/l, there is really very little you can complain for a wagon that weight more than 1.5 ton and can take 7 or big loading with the 3rd row seats downed.  I think the most important objective other than fuel saving, the smoothness and quietness of the car's operations should be appreciated.  For examples, you don't feel the thump when you change Forward/Reverse with the drive-by-wire joystick. You don't feel the air-con compressor abruptly cut in/out and you don't hear belts/pulleys noises like in the last car you drove. Even the engine/air-con cooling fans are so silent and smooth in operations.  The car feel tight and most notably, the Atkinson engine runs without extreme heat - Go feel it! The engine is warm but never too hot unless you run the engine at 4000 rpm all the time:)  Actually, the more fuel you saved in a drive, the cooler is the engine (this explains why Toyota hybrid car will last). 

Enjoy driving Toyota Hybrid-Synergy-Drive. 

Hi bro, seen u mentioned before the 400nm of torque. Can u explain it further? TIA

HI all, other than fuel consumption and reliability, is there any other reasons to choose this over the touran? [laugh] Like to hear opinions...Cheers!

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1

Hi bro, seen u mentioned before the 400nm of torque. Can u explain it further? TIA

HI all, other than fuel consumption and reliability, is there any other reasons to choose this over the touran? [laugh] Like to hear opinions...Cheers!

i guess its mainly about cost

• follow up per service cost,
  • tyre replacement cost,
  • spare parts cost
  • workshop service can be done outside
  • Jap cars resale easier than Conti
  • Praise 1

i guess its mainly about cost

• follow up per service cost,
  • tyre replacement cost,
  • spare parts cost
  • workshop service can be done outside
  • Jap cars resale easier than Conti

For that i definitely agree, but how is the prius+ on full load? Can the handling match up to conti? Albeit being an Mpv, driving pleasure cannot be totally neglected i guess... [:p]  [sweatdrop]  :a-panic:

• Praise 1

For that i definitely agree, but how is the prius+ on full load? Can the handling match up to conti? Albeit being an Mpv, driving pleasure cannot be totally neglected i guess... [:p]  [sweatdrop]  :a-panic:

i fetch 6 people no issue on power.

i have no idea how to compare a conti as never own one 7 conti seater b4.

cant feel the different when test drive Renault and Citroen as on small roads. maybe others can share.

If money is not a concern, i guess can go for Conti as u will be differentiated and not be identified as a grab driver.  [laugh]

• Praise 1

cant feel the different when test drive Renault and Citroen as on small roads. maybe others can share.

If money is not a concern, i guess can go for Conti as u will be differentiated and not be identified as a grab driver.  [laugh]

Yes, saw many prius + on the road as PHV.  Am curious what cars did you cross shop the prius + to? For me french offerings(5008, C4 GP and renault Gs had way too unrefined powertrains). 216i and 1.2 c4 had rough 3 cyl which sounded disgusting and vibrated ridiculously. Cannot believe the 216i is at all a bimmer. Disgrace to BMW. Small 3rd row and narrow body made it suitable for 4 adults to fit comfortably.(middle seat and rear 2 seats were practically useless). Sorento, Carens and RGS had rough diesel engines which i did not like, especially during full throttle. Booked car in may, hence did not get chance to test out the new prius+, sadly as i could have saved a lot. :a-bang:  :a-m1524:  :a-rip:

• Praise 1

All of these cars have no boot to spare when fully loaded with 7 pax. Found out that the boot in touran was unable to fit two large suitcases when 7 seats are up(same goes to all mid-sized mpvs). Since i was considering to have my own daily and this mpv to be the family car, i limited my budget to 150k. Should I have known that we needed the boot space, would have gone for larger mpv or 7 seat Suvs(cx-9 or Q7). XC90 had an unpleasant drivetrain and cannot match up to Q7 on quality. Previa, Elgrand and odyssey had whiny cvts and were pretty underpowered. Additionally, the lack of headroom in Previa was disappointing. Elgrand was a great car but the lacklustre drivetrain made it an unattractive package. Odyssey had ridiculously loud tire roar, wind whistle and engine roar at high speeds. If I were to nuy a family car again, the Sharan, Q7 and CX-9 would be the only 3 i would look at.

All of these cars have no boot to spare when fully loaded with 7 pax. Found out that the boot in touran was unable to fit two large suitcases when 7 seats are up(same goes to all mid-sized mpvs). Since i was considering to have my own daily and this mpv to be the family car, i limited my budget to 150k. Should I have known that we needed the boot space, would have gone for larger mpv or 7 seat Suvs(cx-9 or Q7). XC90 had an unpleasant drivetrain and cannot match up to Q7 on quality. Previa, Elgrand and odyssey had whiny cvts and were pretty underpowered. Additionally, the lack of headroom in Previa was disappointing. Elgrand was a great car but the lacklustre drivetrain made it an unattractive package. Odyssey had ridiculously loud tire roar, wind whistle and engine roar at high speeds. If I were to nuy a family car again, the Sharan, Q7 and CX-9 would be the only 3 i would look at.

Wow seems that u have done quite a bit homework!

My Budget range between 100-120k, so only targeted Senic , Outlander, Space tourer, Freed, Sienta , Prius +.

Yes , boot space with 7 pax will be bigger MPV.

What is the car u booked in the end?

My Budget range between 100-120k, so only targeted Senic , Outlander, Space tourer, Freed, Sienta , Prius +.

Sharan, cheapest amongst cx9 and q7.

Pretty worth it at 150-160k

• Praise 1

Haha, yes test drove many cars. I booked touran in the end for its spaciousness, power, comfort, handling and great NVH(soundproofing). Bought at only 120k

Sharan, cheapest amongst cx9 and q7.

Pretty worth it at 150-160k

CX-9 is also pretty good value at around 158-9k for showroom unit back in end of 2018.

Yes, Touran is a good choice as long as you have $$ standby. Owned the twin-charger before and drove it for 5 and the only justifiable reason to let go was warranty ran out and at that time, replacement of the dual-clutch (famous issue then) without warranty can be daunting.  All said, I would still love Touran for its superlative performance, built and handling.

Now the torque:

Touran: High torque(250nm), high horsepower(150bhp) and high rpm(6500)

Prius+: Higher torque(400nm), medium horsepower(134bhp) and limited rpm(4000)

Touran starts to turn wheels at 1200 engine rpm (~250nm torque), Prius+ starts to turn wheels at 0 engine rpm (electric motor already provide the 400nm torque).  in short, the 400nm torque is significant for take-off from a standstill without using a drop of fuel (save fuel) and continue to mitigate engine use during driving *save fuel).  One thing is clear, the 400nm does not and never designed to spin the wheels like a race car (save fuel).

HI all, other than fuel consumption and reliability, is there any other reasons to choose this over the touran? [laugh] Like to hear opinions...Cheers!

Yes, Touran is a good choice as long as you have $$ standby. Owned the twin-charger before and drove it for 5 and the only justifiable reason to let go was warranty ran out and at that time, replacement of the dual-clutch (famous issue then) without warranty can be daunting. All said, I would still love Touran for its superlative performance, built and handling.

Now the torque:

Touran: High torque(250nm), high horsepower(150bhp) and high rpm(6500)

Prius+: Higher torque(400nm), medium horsepower(134bhp) and limited rpm(4000)

Touran starts to turn wheels at 1200 engine rpm (~250nm torque), Prius+ starts to turn wheels at 0 engine rpm (electric motor already provide the 400nm torque). in short, the 400nm torque is significant for take-off from a standstill without using a drop of fuel (save fuel) and continue to mitigate engine use during driving *save fuel). One thing is clear, the 400nm does not and never designed to spin the wheels like a race car (save fuel).

prius alpha 400NM , really?
  • Praise 2

prius alpha 400NM , really?

Again, I am not referring to the combined torque of 142nm even out by the hybrid system.  I described the usefulness of the 400nm by the hybrid motor (M2) which serves the purpose of fuel saving - to turn the wheels without burning a drop of petrol in an EV takeoff for example.  Performance in Prius+ is not about power and race but Economy.

A friend asked me: How your Prius perform?  I said: My petrol bill is lower, less often to the pump and my heartbeats are slower as I learn to enjoy driving a hybrid by "forcing" the use of the 400nm drive motors only.

Edited by chonsiew
  • Praise 1

Hi, can I check how do you gets check the fuel consumption from the dashboard? Is it through the “Trip A or Trip B”?

I don't but to average out the total mileages clocked with number of tanks filled.  For my last calculation:

Total distance traveled: 16259 km

45-Litre tanks used  : 20

Thus, 16259/20/45 = ~18km/l. (Not that great by I am happy knowing I I have subjected to the car to carry).  Calculate this way is more accurate and definitely real world.

• Praise 1

Again, I am not referring to the combined torque of 142nm even out by the hybrid system. I described the usefulness of the 400nm by the hybrid motor (M2) which serves the purpose of fuel saving - to turn the wheels without burning a drop of petrol in an EV takeoff for example. Performance in Prius+ is not about power and race but Economy.

A friend asked me: How your Prius perform? I said: My petrol bill is lower, less often to the pump and my heartbeats are slower as I learn to enjoy driving a hybrid by "forcing" the use of the 400nm drive motors only.

are you refer to below piece of toyota engine link below?

https://www.wardsauto.com/10-best-engines/2016-winner-toyota-18l-dohc-4-cyl53-kw-drive-motor

I am puzzle as I didn't realise it can output 400Nm of torque from its motor.

• Praise 1

Hi, can I check how do you gets check the fuel consumption from the dashboard? Is it through the âTrip A or Trip Bâ?

Either should work , just press and hold before u start the trip
  • Praise 1

Hi everyone, chanced upon this thread while I’m looking for a car with a 5+2 config...but realized that this car’s speedometer/driver display is on the center part of the front dashboard (ie not right in front of the driver). Is there a HUD that projects info like speed onto the windscreen in front of the driver?

If not, I’m wondering how do you guys get used to this? :)

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 2