Toyota Prius Alpha/Plus

Yongwd

Again, I am not referring to the combined torque of 142nm even out by the hybrid system. I described the usefulness of the 400nm by the hybrid motor (M2) which serves the purpose of fuel saving - to turn the wheels without burning a drop of petrol in an EV takeoff for example. Performance in Prius+ is not about power and race but Economy.

A friend asked me: How your Prius perform? I said: My petrol bill is lower, less often to the pump and my heartbeats are slower as I learn to enjoy driving a hybrid by "forcing" the use of the 400nm drive motors only.

Agree on the heartbeats, and we are smoothing out traffic waves if we leave enough gaps and help save some fuel for the drivers behind .

However , I can’t get only electric motors to glide when I drive above 80-90km/h , any tips to share?

↡ Advertisement

Hi everyone, chanced upon this thread while Iâm looking for a car with a 5+2 config...but realized that this carâs speedometer/driver display is on the center part of the front dashboard (ie not right in front of the driver). Is there a HUD that projects info like speed onto the windscreen in front of the driver?

If not, Iâm wondering how do you guys get used to this? :)

No HUD. The speed display is more towards the right end of the display. Not a problem for me to get use to it.

speed display is nearer to the wind screen like VIOS and some say more safe as the eyes take less time to switch between the road and the meter?

• Praise 1

are you refer to below piece of toyota engine link below?

https://www.wardsauto.com/10-best-engines/2016-winner-toyota-18l-dohc-4-cyl53-kw-drive-motor

I am puzzle as I didn't realise it can output 400Nm of torque from its motor.

Yes, it can.

The M2 hybrid motor actual output is 163nm. When the car is at stationary, the motor is reduced by a gear ratio of ~2.6 and this translates to a multiplied output of >400nm to the drive shaft. Hope this explained.

Agree on the heartbeats, and we are smoothing out traffic waves if we leave enough gaps and help save some fuel for the drivers behind .

However , I can’t get only electric motors to glide when I drive above 80-90km/h , any tips to share?

Actually it is very challenging to achieve a pure EV drive above 70km/h, the last I tried on a very smooth surface road (you know you are on one when the tire noise is almost absent), the ICE cut in at 72km/h when I tried to go a little faster to placate the cars behind me :)

Try this: If you are cruising in EV at 50 - 70km/h, light tap the pedal to invoke the traction motors and once you see the yellow flow arrow appears, off your foot from the pedal (if press more than 2 secs, the ICE may start) and continue to try prevent ICE starting by light taps on the pedal. Quite interesting.    

Yes, it can.

The M2 hybrid motor actual output is 163nm. When the car is at stationary, the motor is reduced by a gear ratio of ~2.6 and this translates to a multiplied output of >400nm to the drive shaft. Hope this explained.

like that your mentioned Touran 250Nm also have included gear ratio before drive shaft?
  • Praise 1

like that your mentioned Touran 250Nm also have included gear ratio before drive shaft?

OK, may be I should have clarified the 400nm I mentioned is referring to "Torque at Wheel" instead of "Motor's Torque".  Yes, the torque at wheel for the 1.4tsi is very much higher, if I still remember, it is ~ 3X the engine torque and that explains why the touran can pull away that fast despite of its weight.   But it has a cost - the engine rpm will have to reach ~1500 - 2500 for the sweet spot.  That's lot of fuel to burn.

For the Prius+, 400nm is produced instantaneous when the hybrid motor is turned, say at 1rpm.  400nm torque at wheel is not a lot but enough for the 1.5ton car to takeoff and if conditions favourable, sustain vehicle speed at 50km/h without a drop of petrol. 

OK, may be I should have clarified the 400nm I mentioned is referring to "Torque at Wheel" instead of "Motor's Torque".  Yes, the torque at wheel for the 1.4tsi is very much higher, if I still remember, it is ~ 3X the engine torque and that explains why the touran can pull away that fast despite of its weight.   But it has a cost - the engine rpm will have to reach ~1500 - 2500 for the sweet spot.  That's lot of fuel to burn.

For the Prius+, 400nm is produced instantaneous when the hybrid motor is turned, say at 1rpm.  400nm torque at wheel is not a lot but enough for the 1.5ton car to takeoff and if conditions favourable, sustain vehicle speed at 50km/h without a drop of petrol. 

your info is really misleading to other readers. 

For Prius you shared Torque on wheel while Touran you shared Torque on engine, which is no a apple to apple comparison. 

i believe normally for ICE it can reach easily ~1500rpm, take example an Elantra 1.6MPI 1500rpm generate around 100Nm, then multiply by 1st gear and final drive ratio, the generated torque on wheel already 1603NM

Nevertheless i can agreed the instantaneous torque from the electric motor is definitely win most ICE easily. 

• Praise 2

Thanks a lot for your clarifications! However i still feel that touran has better pull off the line and continues to pull hard till 220km/h. Tried on NSHW last month. Prius+ when i floored throttle in power mode, nothing much seems to happen but a lot of sound only. Cannot really feel 400nm. No offence but i feel that the prius will struggle a little if not a lot and strain out the ICE. Additionally, the CVT makes the sound really annoying, like when you are haunted by your wife nagging at you. [bounce1]

• Praise 2

Actually it is very challenging to achieve a pure EV drive above 70km/h, the last I tried on a very smooth surface road (you know you are on one when the tire noise is almost absent), the ICE cut in at 72km/h when I tried to go a little faster to placate the cars behind me :)

Try this: If you are cruising in EV at 50 - 70km/h, light tap the pedal to invoke the traction motors and once you see the yellow flow arrow appears, off your foot from the pedal (if press more than 2 secs, the ICE may start) and continue to try prevent ICE starting by light taps on the pedal. Quite interesting.    

its difficult, i tried from 80-95km/h, cant get the electric motor only.

50-70km/h is easier.

Thanks for sharing!

its difficult, i tried from 80-95km/h, cant get the electric motor only.

50-70km/h is easier.

Thanks for sharing!

However, driving at 50-70 km/h on a highway would be completely idiotic. It would be better if EM can sustain at least 85km/h -90 Km/h which makes more sense. Imagine travelling at 70km/h on NSHW  [crazy]  [confused]

Recently took my friends tuned mazda 5 to NSHW, floored but only 220km/h, quite disappointing. Touran after tuning should be much higher... Is there anyone who has/planning to tune their prius +? On highway listed at 165km/h only, might be even less when carrying full load.

Thanks a lot for your clarifications! However i still feel that touran has better pull off the line and continues to pull hard till 220km/h. Tried on NSHW last month. Prius+ when i floored throttle in power mode, nothing much seems to happen but a lot of sound only. Cannot really feel 400nm. No offence but i feel that the prius will struggle a little if not a lot and strain out the ICE. Additionally, the CVT makes the sound really annoying, like when you are haunted by your wife nagging at you. [bounce1]

Fully agree on your finding of Prius+ on NSHW but the reason of owning the Prius is not speeds but economy and quietness of the HSD where the ICE can be as low as 1200 rpm at 110km/h. You barely hear it except the road noise.

One point need to clarify, the 400nm Torque at Wheel (T@W) when the car takeoff will fall back to 163nm where the motor's gear is backed to 1:1 ratio and from then on.  That's why no matter how you tekan the pedal, you won't get the 400nm but the roar of the low power ICE which again, tuned for economy. 

However, driving at 50-70 km/h on a highway would be completely idiotic. It would be better if EM can sustain at least 85km/h -90 Km/h which makes more sense. Imagine travelling at 70km/h on NSHW  [crazy]  [confused]

Recently took my friends tuned mazda 5 to NSHW, floored but only 220km/h, quite disappointing. Touran after tuning should be much higher... Is there anyone who has/planning to tune their prius +? On highway listed at 165km/h only, might be even less when carrying full load.

It would be challenging to tune the Prius as there are 3 power sources/inputs to the drive shaft.  A low power generator/drive motor M1, main traction motor M2 coupled directly to the drive shaft and the ICE.  The sources are managed fuzzy-logically by the computer.  Not sure any tuner can do to change all the related parameters.

*Prius is designed for city and urban areas use where speed is limited.  If frequent expressway beyond 90 km/h, the best choice is diesel.

220km/h !

Touran @ 220km handling good? feel light at high speed?

Fully agree on your finding of Prius+ on NSHW but the reason of owning the Prius is not speeds but economy and quietness of the HSD where the ICE can be as low as 1200 rpm at 110km/h. You barely hear it except the road noise.

One point need to clarify, the 400nm Torque at Wheel (T@W) when the car takeoff will fall back to 163nm where the motor's gear is backed to 1:1 ratio and from then on. That's why no matter how you tekan the pedal, you won't get the 400nm but the roar of the low power ICE which again, tuned for economy.

Hey Chonsiew, how u find out 1200 rpm @ 110 km/h ?

Yes Prius serves different needs . Younger days I want need for speed , now I want need to save fuel .... yet to visit the petrol station after 1 week... still got half tank to go :D

• Praise 1

220km/h !

Touran @ 220km handling good? feel light at high speed?

Not floaty like mazda 5 lor. Obviously better than Q7, xc90 and most suvs&mpvs. Only better 7 seater might be cx-9 or sharan.

• Praise 1

Hey Chonsiew, how u find out 1200 rpm @ 110 km/h ?

Yes Prius serves different needs . Younger days I want need for speed , now I want need to save fuel .... yet to visit the petrol station after 1 week... still got half tank to go :D

In the absence of RPM Gauge or electronic Scan Gauge, the PSD simulator can be a source to verifying. Get the page (link) to work and play with the level and you will see at 110 km/h, the rpm can be from 4000+ rpm (maximum power, most noisy) to 1200 rpm (light load/resistance cruising, quietest).

post-160208-0-94775400-1546973676_thumb.jpg

Power Split Device (PSD) 

http://eahart.com/prius/psd/

• Praise 1

Hi, can I check how do you gets check the fuel consumption from the dashboard? Is it through the “Trip A or Trip B”?

I use Trip A to statistical check miles every barrels. Trip B is to get total miles for average FC indication.

It is a quite good car at this price level. Just tried PWR mode and feel it is really powerful, even more power than my last 1.6L sedan car.

Wonder whether can hybrid drive (ECO and PWR mode hybrid) can achieve better FC...Will it hurt car?

If you can achieve 18 - 20 km/l, there is really very little you can complain for a wagon that weight more than 1.5 ton and can take 7 or big loading with the 3rd row seats downed.  I think the most important objective other than fuel saving, the smoothness and quietness of the car's operations should be appreciated.  For examples, you don't feel the thump when you change Forward/Reverse with the drive-by-wire joystick. You don't feel the air-con compressor abruptly cut in/out and you don't hear belts/pulleys noises like in the last car you drove. Even the engine/air-con cooling fans are so silent and smooth in operations.  The car feel tight and most notably, the Atkinson engine runs without extreme heat - Go feel it! The engine is warm but never too hot unless you run the engine at 4000 rpm all the time:)  Actually, the more fuel you saved in a drive, the cooler is the engine (this explains why Toyota hybrid car will last). 

Enjoy driving Toyota Hybrid-Synergy-Drive. 

• Praise 1

I use Trip A to statistical check miles every barrels. Trip B is to get total miles for average FC indication.

It is a quite good car at this price level. Just tried PWR mode and feel it is really powerful, even more power than my last 1.6L sedan car.

Wonder whether can hybrid drive (ECO and PWR mode hybrid) can achieve better FC...Will it hurt car?

Were u driving a Sunny ? Hmm...prius+ feels faster... [crazy]

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1