Altis 1.6 or Elantra 1.6

Quantum

Altis 1.6 or Elantra 1.6  

226 members have voted

1. 1. Altis 1.6 or Elantra 1.6

• Elantra 1.6
    • Altis 1.6

wonder whats the difference in omv.. other than demand.. tat may be useful if u wanna change car in future as it affects the paper value of the car..

↡ Advertisement

Supersonic

March edition of Torque said that in a comparison of Altis vs Cruze vs Forte vs Fluence, Altis was still the most powerful and responsive despite being on a 4 spd gearbox.

Surprisingly altis scored the most powerful and responsive car?! [shocked] So whether it is 4 speed or 6 speed makes no difference?! [rolleyes]

(edited)

Surprisingly altis scored the most powerful and responsive car?! [shocked] So whether it is 4 speed or 6 speed makes no difference?! [rolleyes]

Torque and useable power that come in early plays a part. Max horsepower quoted normally comes on at very HIGH engine speed where most of us will not be even touching it at its half mark.

Edited by Kangadrool

if given choice, maybe elantra seems a better option, newer moder and MIK not MIT

to me surprised, avante disappeared lah from Hyundai price list :excl:

March edition of Torque said that in a comparison of Altis vs Cruze vs Forte vs Fluence, Altis was still the most powerful and responsive despite being on a 4 spd gearbox.

But it also said Cerato is the most effortless of the lot. Kind of contradicting the way they comment.

all toyota car & van are bone shaking rides, everytime i get in 1 i get nausea

You are one unique person. Toyota rides are the best when one is looking for comfort.

You are one unique person. Toyota rides are the best when one is looking for comfort.

yes i agree! and they are one that will never let you down!

Reliabilty, resale, power / economy : Altis

Modern car (features), cheaper, look : Elantra

elantra is cheaper cause that is the lower spec model. the higher one with S/R is $98,999.

elantra is cheaper cause that is the lower spec model. the higher one with S/R is $98,999.

True, just compared the basic models of each. Altis is costlier by 1K

No doubt 4speed is ancient.

But I find that Toyota's 4speed still able to do the job of providing power and efficiency.

It's like who needs a 6speed gearbox when a 4speed can do the job. Probably BM thinking.

For a 4speed comparing with a 5speed gearbox, You will only see the difference on NSHW. Speed greater than 120-130.

this is rubbish

if a 4 speed gearbox has no advantages over a 5 speed gearbox, then it goes to say that a lower speed gearbox has no advantages too

in such a case they should just market a 2 speed gearbox instead, a 2 speed gearbox is much cheaper and has far higher reliability

or heck just do away with the different speeds and offer a 1 speed gearbox

a gearbox is a torque converter, no matter how good your engine is it depends on your gearbox to provide the power and efficiency

also the more gears will be felt during acceleration, not at max speed

at 120 - 130 it is the final gear ratio that makes a difference, not the number of gears

just compare the forte 4 speed auto vs the newer 6 speed auto

pick up is faster yet the newer model is more fuel efficient

ignoring cvt, the highest number of gears in an auto gearbox currently belongs to mercedes yet it only has 8 speeds

your 4 speed auto has only half that number

Reliabilty, resale, power / economy : Altis

Modern car (features), cheaper, look : Elantra

i don't believe the altis has better power / economy

the elantra has a newer engine and has a 6 speed auto vs old engine and 4 speed auto

i haven't driven the elantra before, but i know that the avante isn't a slow car

Is the new elantra rear suspension using torsion beam (saw in sgcarmart spec - torsion beam) ? If it is, then it's really disappointing and a step backward. :angry:

The old avante rear was using multilink and the ride comfort is far better than Forte (using torsion beam).

i don't believe the altis has better power / economy

the elantra has a newer engine and has a 6 speed auto vs old engine and 4 speed auto

i haven't driven the elantra before, but i know that the avante isn't a slow car

I might be wrong as I test drove both of those cars in a gap of 3-4 months. I did not feel lot of difference between the two (I felt Altis was marginally better). But definitely New Altis is better than the previous one. Technically, Altis is with new engine too (DOHC Dual VVTi).

Well, at the end of the day, driving comfort is individual's feel. Go for it and decide for yourself!

Neutral Newbie

My brother in law bought altis 2 years ado at 55k. Recently when he wanted to sell away his car, the dealer offer 62k. Still making money after 2 years of using his car. The resale value of altis definetly higher than elantra. (Somehow, his tomyam car almost every three months need to get repair at BM due to different tom yam problem, but the resale value still very good le). Decide it for urself.

I might be wrong as I test drove both of those cars in a gap of 3-4 months. I did not feel lot of difference between the two (I felt Altis was marginally better). But definitely New Altis is better than the previous one. Technically, Altis is with new engine too (DOHC Dual VVTi).

Well, at the end of the day, driving comfort is individual's feel. Go for it and decide for yourself!

toyotas have very soft suspensions, during acceleration the rear suspension will absorb more pressure downforce at a lower speed causing the driver to feel faster than he really is

not sure about the new engine part though, i've never sat in a new altis so i won't be able to tell if its any good

however i've driven a forte before and i know that the fortes are very good as it is

↡ Advertisement