Which is faster? tiptronic manual vs clutch manual

Mecontle

I compare a non-DSG box with paddleshift or sport gate (omitted since proven that DSG is faster than manual)

1 auto-box: rev to peak torque & upshift

2 manual-box: same

is the 0-100 same for both?

Anyone has experience on this?

↡ Advertisement

Twincharged
(edited)

I compare a non-DSG box with paddleshift or sport gate (omitted since proven that DSG is faster than manual)

I know the Nissan 370z 7 speed Auto is a bit faster than it manual ones.

Edited by ER-3682

(edited)

In the hand of a skilled driver, manual should be faster. If its (dual clutch transimmsion) vs conventional manual, dual clutch should be faster. Hope this helps! [:)]

Edited by Aaronlkl

auto cars upshift at max rpm not max torque

therefore unless you are comparing a 7 speed DSG vs a 6 speed manual, i believe the manual will surely be faster

not sure about the newer transmissions like dual clutch manual though

>In the hand of a skilled driver, manual should be faster. I

but can human shift faster than 0.2s? thats the pace of auto shift!

>auto cars upshift at max rpm not max torque

peak torque is at lower rpm than peak hp say we know the engine stats Eg. 180Nm@4000, 140hp@6000 then usually we upshift at past 4k rpm for best compromise

>Auto WRX250bhp beat 5spd wrx 230bhp...400m race.

I think ur right if bhp is too much then auto or manual no longer matters

I think manual can shift faster than auto if the person really driving very spiritedly..

4AT Sunny n a 5MT Sunny.. 4AT Vios vs 5MT Vios..

Compare same specs but gearbox variant is more fair than putting a 250BHP vs a 230BHP..

guys u didnt get the right topic [dizzy] , i meant shifting manually with an auto box vs shifting manually with a manual box, do u think both pickup speed are comparable?

Twincharged

guys u didnt get the right topic [dizzy] , i meant shifting manually with an auto box vs shifting manually with a manual box, do u think both pickup speed are comparable?

Then comfirmed Manually with an autobox faster,because in the 370z case,the pedal shift,my right hand just need to attack the 'up' pedal,the shift is instead.

Shift manual with auto box, when done correctly is always faster bro. Correctly means you keep the engine running at its peak torque as much as possible, and once the rpm starts to exit the peak torque band, you gotta shift.

That said, if want fast, don't bother with conventional auto trans. Get either a DSG, or for much more fun, a good old trio pedal manual.

That said I have to OT a bit a lament the decline of the MT. It's so much more fun and rewarding, it's fast, it's economical. For man who takes pride in their driving skills, an MT is the car to have at least once in your life time.

call himself driftking yet when he changes gears he lets his foot off the accelerator

he'll be half a second faster if he continues to floor while changing gears, the additional rpm gain will help with a 6 speed gearbox

I believe for straight road acceleration (0 ~ 100), DSG > manual > paddleshift.

But if the location were at a winding and undulation road, then manual > paddleshift > DSG.

After reading all ur replies I think it means if my factory spec says auto-box is 10s & manual-box is 9s then it means that with my sport gate shifter I should be near 9s, swee!

Twincharged

After reading all ur replies I think it means if my factory spec says auto-box is 10s & manual-box is 9s then it means that with my sport gate shifter I should be near 9s, swee!

There are many factors,to hit 9 ses to 100 km/h,you need to press your gas pedal to max,change your gear while your foot is pressing the gas pedal....also tires must pump a bit more air.

(edited)

From the way the question is phrased no wonder ppl got confused.

The way I see it it's a no brainer question. Regardless the auto has a manual override via paddleshift or it's a tiptronic autobox it's still an autobox which has a torque converter as a transmission medium to transfer power from the engine to the gearbox. And the fact is the engine speed is faster dan that of the transmission speed for an autobox. There will be a lag before the transmission speed catches up. So it will definitely be slightly slower dan a manual box no matter how the autobox's style of manual override is designed.

Today's auto have improved a lot from those of the past where there's even more lag. Torque converter drum are slimer so that the oil takes less time to fill & drain, dan there's the lock up clutch to further reduce the difference in speed between engine & transmission.

Actually ppl dun know that the torque converters are used in medium & heavy industry machinery like cranes. A crane also have a motor and a gearbox, in-between will be the torque converter to transfer the energy produced by the electric motor. In other words the torque converter existed before cars had them as a transmission medium.

Edited by Watwheels

If the auto gearbox comes with high stall speed, then it'll match or could be slightly faster than manual. However, this setup is not common due to high heat generation.

Most road cars comes with low stall speed to minimise the generation of heat, and hence it'll be slower than manual.

↡ Advertisement