New 2011 Jetta VS Hyundai i45 2.0L

Proton_neutron

Would appreciate a debatable view on the above 2 cars. Thx.

New Jetta 1.4TSI Sport 160bhp: 0-100kph: 8.3s 7DSG. Est price: S$130k.

But there should be the 1.4TSI 122bhp and 1.2TSI 105bhp 7DSG versions, starting price from est S$110k.

Hyundai i45 being a larger car, is going for S$120k.

Space and exterior size is important, so is adequate and relaxed performance.

↡ Advertisement

no offence but first things first. Jetta more suitable to compare with new hyundai elantra due to size similarity.

Jetta is never meant to fight with mid size sedans anyway. VW's mid size sedans offering is the new vw passat. that is another story altogether.

that said, people who are looking at either of the cars you mentioned, probably will not consider each other.. maybe some or a few, but not most.

the reason i can think of why you compare jetta and the i45 is because, elantra no fight to new jetta in terms of value, finishing, quality, branding, performance? lol.

even the 122bhp version is nicer than elantra in my opinion.

no offence but first things first. Jetta more suitable to compare with new hyundai elantra due to size similarity.

Jetta is never meant to fight with mid size sedans anyway. VW's mid size sedans offering is the new vw passat. that is another story altogether.

that said, people who are looking at either of the cars you mentioned, probably will not consider each other.. maybe some or a few, but not most.

the reason i can think of why you compare jetta and the i45 is because, elantra no fight to new jetta in terms of value, finishing, quality, branding, performance? lol.

even the 122bhp version is nicer than elantra in my opinion.

Well, given the current COE climate, the Jetta 1.4TSI 122bhp at est S$115-117k is about the selling price of the i45 2.0L, which is S$20k more than the Elantra Elite 1.6NU.

But don't be fooled by the horsepower figures. The 1.4TSI in the Jetta would probably do 0-100kph in 9.7s, which is not achievable by the i45 2.0L [10.5-10.9s] or the Elantra 1.6NU [probably in the region of 11.0-11.5s].

I'm foreseeing the new 2011 Jetta to be quite a huge seller in local markets. The exterior size is close to the Renault Fluence for reference, means people will think you're driving a Passat rather than a Jetta!

If only VW were to bring in the 1.4TSI version of the Passat.

Neutral Newbie

IMHO...space wise...i45 beat Jetta. Price wise, i45 2.4 is going for about 117K actually. I find the 2.0 not so shiok...:)

exterior size...i45 also win....

exterior looks..........dunno..personal taste....

Thus if interior space is important ,price for price,, i45 2.4 technically win...:)

BTW...I am holding on to buying my ride is because I wanted to see how the Jetta drive is like. But VW SE says size not much different, interior updated to be like Passat.....and my VW connection still says end June then come...:)

IMHO...space wise...i45 beat Jetta. Price wise, i45 2.4 is going for about 117K actually. I find the 2.0 not so shiok...:)

exterior size...i45 also win....

exterior looks..........dunno..personal taste....

Thus if interior space is important ,price for price,, i45 2.4 technically win...:)

BTW...I am holding on to buying my ride is because I wanted to see how the Jetta drive is like. But VW SE says size not much different, interior updated to be like Passat.....and my VW connection still says end June then come...:)

If the new Jetta has on paper specs, the same dimensions as the Renault Fluence, I'm ever so willing to wait patiently for the car to arrive, and yes, in end-June/ early-July.

Now, it's the engine options that is a question mark. VW UK only has the 1.4TSI 160bhp version. Though VW Singapore would probably launch both the 122bhp and 160bhp together, with the 1.2TSI 105bhp coming in later.

The i45 sure looks better than the staid looking Jetta, however, I suppose interior space would be quite similar if the new Jetta were to be Fluence size.

And the i45, as many reviews put it, reportedly, the 2.0L is underpowered and does no justice to what you'd expect, judging from the exterior outlook of the car. I'm not willing to pay the taxes of a 2.4L engine, so the i45 2.4L is out of the question.

Hyundai will launch their 1.6Turbo 204bhp engine next year, with the Veloster Coupe. I wonder when it'll make its way to the i45/ Elantra sedan.

(edited)

If the new Jetta has on paper specs, the same dimensions as the Renault Fluence, I'm ever so willing to wait patiently for the car to arrive, and yes, in end-June/ early-July.

Now, it's the engine options that is a question mark. VW UK only has the 1.4TSI 160bhp version. Though VW Singapore would probably launch both the 122bhp and 160bhp together, with the 1.2TSI 105bhp coming in later.

The i45 sure looks better than the staid looking Jetta, however, I suppose interior space would be quite similar if the new Jetta were to be Fluence size.

And the i45, as many reviews put it, reportedly, the 2.0L is underpowered and does no justice to what you'd expect, judging from the exterior outlook of the car. I'm not willing to pay the taxes of a 2.4L engine, so the i45 2.4L is out of the question.

Hyundai will launch their 1.6Turbo 204bhp engine next year, with the Veloster Coupe. I wonder when it'll make its way to the i45/ Elantra sedan.

actually, as observed above. people have different buying mentality, some go for space or practicality.. while your focus is mostly on performance.

difficult to judge in such a manner, esp when u want a fair result. to me, the best overall package still goes to Jetta.

on your reply regarding elantra vs jetta is unfair.. well, you based your comparison on 2 cars with near price margin. i based mine (elantra vs jetta) on what the respective car makers want their cars to go up against with. compact sedan car segment, elantra and jetta is in it, the i45, is not. i45 vs passat, camry, teana, accord etc. jetta vs civic, elantra, mz3, altis etc.

since you are more oriented towards more performance for the buck, the jetta is the clear choice :D

Edited by Coupecabriolet

actually, as observed above. people have different buying mentality, some go for space or practicality.. while your focus is mostly on performance.

difficult to judge in such a manner, esp when u want a fair result. to me, the best overall package still goes to Jetta.

on your reply regarding elantra vs jetta is unfair.. well, you based your comparison on 2 cars with near price margin. i based mine (elantra vs jetta) on what the respective car makers want their cars to go up against with. compact sedan car segment, elantra and jetta is in it, the i45, is not. i45 vs passat, camry, teana, accord etc. jetta vs civic, elantra, mz3, altis etc.

since you are more oriented towards more performance for the buck, the jetta is the clear choice :D

Well, I guess so. The new Jetta has a same/ larger interior space [especially with regards to rear legroom] as/ than the Passat big brother! The i45 is brought into the picture because of the similar price tag to the est ones of the Jetta.

Yes, you're right, as to the Jetta is competing with the Elantra rather than the i45. But I'd say, the Jetta slots in between the Elantra and i45, so there's no direct competition between these 3 cars. The units that Singapore will be getting probably isn't the "built-down-to-cost" USA version with hard interior plastics. Instead, I suppose we'll be getting the ones from Turkey/ Germany, with a better built interior. It'd also be safe to say, current interior features of the outgoing Jetta will set the standard for the new Jetta to have as well.

Thanks to the high CAT A COE, it just doesn't make much sense now to get a 1.6L Jap/ Korean car. Just top up $10-$20k more, which isn't a big % over the current $90k Koreans/ Japanese and you can get for yourself a much larger continental car.

Why not?

Neutral Newbie

How abt the road tax, insurance and FC?

Jetta FC is good. My friend can clock 800km per tank.. [;)]

But there should be the 1.4TSI 122bhp and 1.2TSI 105bhp 7DSG versions, starting price from est S$110k.

How abt the road tax, insurance and FC?

Jetta FC is good. My friend can clock 800km per tank.. [;)]

Obviously Jetta's 1.4TSI will be delivering better fuel economy compared to the 2.0L engine of the i45. Not to forget, thanks to lower engine cc and the establishment of VW Singapore, the insurance of the VW Jetta, even though it's turbo-engine, is not too expensive either.

There's a vast difference between the road tax figures.

Jetta 1.4TSI: $620/yr [savings of $590/yr]

i45 2.0L: $1210/yr

Neutral Newbie

Thats why my frend "downgraded" his camry 2.0 to jetta.

Cos of the road tax, insurance, installment and FC etc.

Performance wise buay su seh. Can take on a 1.8l car.

More pratical thinking as FC, road tax and insurance are the long term expenses, esp FC.

Only thing is VW after sales service sucks... [whip][furious]

Obviously Jetta's 1.4TSI will be delivering better fuel economy compared to the 2.0L engine of the i45. Not to forget, thanks to lower engine cc and the establishment of VW Singapore, the insurance of the VW Jetta, even though it's turbo-engine, is not too expensive either.

There's a vast difference between the road tax figures.

Jetta 1.4TSI: $620/yr [savings of $590/yr]

i45 2.0L: $1210/yr

I'm also looking forward to the new Jetta!

But my question is still.. Have they solved all the known issues, especially the gearbox?

you are buying either one or you are just asking for fun? ^_^

you are buying either one or you are just asking for fun? ^_^

one of my uncles ask me to post this question on forums and he wants to get feedback on these 2 cars.

why don't consider the mondeo? it will beat both of them down

The new Mondeo's styling is a bit effy. But yeah, I'll recommend it to my uncle.

I'm also looking forward to the new Jetta!

But my question is still.. Have they solved all the known issues, especially the gearbox?

Thus far, if you don't do any modification to the dry-clutch 7DSG, there won't be any issues.

Yes, VW has ironed out the problems and issues with the 7DSG gearbox already, ever since they introduced it in the new Golf Mk6....

↡ Advertisement