$$ to Promote Cricket in Sengkang Schools

Enye

Hypersonic

How many of you (or your children) play cricket?

I never knew there is a cricket league in Sengkang?!

S$200,000 to push sports in the north-east

by Patwant Singh 04:47 AM May 23, 2011SINGAPORE - A new fund of S$200,000 was launched yesterday to promote sports culture in the North-East Community Development Council (CDC).

Cricket and football will be the first two sports targeted.

The programme was launched at an open field at Compassvale, in the company of five Members of Parliament from the area - Teo Ser Luck, Michael Palmer, Dr Janil Puthucheary, Zainal Sapari and Gan Thiam Poh.

All tried their hands at cricket, which will make use of the fund by organising coaching clinics for neighbourhood schools.

The sport has a considerable following in the area, with the two-year-old Sengkang Cricket league growing in popularity.

The competition currently features 12 teams and a base of around 150 players.

Yesterday, Teo, the Minister of State for Trade and Industry, and Mayor of North East CDC, said: "Sports is one way to bond our community, and to me it is one of the most effective activities to integrate our citizens together, new or local citizens."

Previously the Senior Parliamentary Secretary for the Ministry of Community Development, Youth and Sports, Teo revealed he would maintain his links with the sporting world.

"Currently, I will still be leading some of the committees that I have been chairing, like the Olympic Pathway Programme, Youth Sports Development and some of the other smaller projects that I have been doing with sports," he said.

"While I can always extend my help when it is needed, I think renewal and succession planning is always good for injecting new ideas and new energy into all these projects nationally."

↡ Advertisement

Neutral Newbie

I dont have any kids but I did play during my secondary/JC days. About 10 over yrs ago.

How many of you (or your children) play cricket?

I never knew there is a cricket league in Sengkang?!

The programme was launched at an open field at Compassvale, in the company of five Members of Parliament from the area - Teo Ser Luck, Michael Palmer, Dr Janil Puthucheary, Zainal Sapari and Gan Thiam Poh.

except for our muslim MP, the rest could just open a table and play "finger Tai Chi" ........ :ph34r:[:p][:p]

Hypersonic

I don't anticipate many local students actively participating in this since it has never been a popular sport in Singapore.

There are definitely not enough FT children to make the numbers and who knows what the principals will do to encourage participation among local students.

I just hope that students will not be forced by schools to attend these sessions to ensure that this promotion is a success.

i thought they already have a VERY EXPENSIVE cricket club sitting in the middle of the town [rolleyes] [rolleyes] , the members get to watch free NDP or firework show every year [laugh]

Hypersonic

cricket like nt much ppl play leh

[sweatdrop]

As new citizen or FT from a certain country increase, they begin to fight for their "right". Now we got pinoy show, the FT also want their cricket.

I was telling my wife yesterday when we watched this on CH5 news.

5-10 yrs ago, never saw anyone playing this sport. All the foreigners come in then it becomes popular...

Turbocharged

Don't you know that it's one of the most "English" games? With complicated rules and weird terminology that few people can grasp! [laugh]

Anyway, yes, with certain kind of FT coming in, can now even see kids batting around cricket balls (not the real full-size one) at playground in the evenings. Soon... soon... more will come and there'll be enough to form team!

(edited)

It's for the farking new bangalas and indians la.. not for homegrown Singaporeans like us..

Anyone can play as long as they know how to hold their bat [:p]

Edited by Agalvilaku

Don't you know that it's one of the most "English" games? With complicated rules and weird terminology that few people can grasp! [laugh]

Anyway, yes, with certain kind of FT coming in, can now even see kids batting around cricket balls (not the real full-size one) at playground in the evenings. Soon... soon... more will come and there'll be enough to form team!

The kids here doesn't play with the real cricket ball, they either play with softballs (Tennis balls) or plastic ball. Even the grounds near balestier road is too small for professionals. With the population of 2Million, West Indies were world champion for twice in Cricket, so, you don't need to import and form a team. If you try to import and create a team, it will end up in the same fate of what happened to singapore football team. One cannot become world champion by watching the game, you can become one by playing it. It is sad that not many kids playing any sort of games nowadays.

The kids here doesn't play with the real cricket ball, they either play with softballs (Tennis balls) or plastic ball. Even the grounds near balestier road is too small for professionals. With the population of 2Million, West Indies were world champion for twice in Cricket, so, you don't need to import and form a team. If you try to import and create a team, it will end up in the same fate of what happened to singapore football team. One cannot become world champion by watching the game, you can become one by playing it. It is sad that not many kids playing any sort of games nowadays.

Where got time to play games? All the new parents nowadays pushing tuition and brain training classes to their kids.. how to enjoy a simple game at the void deck or neighbourhood field?

Where got time to play games? All the new parents nowadays pushing tuition and brain training classes to their kids.. how to enjoy a simple game at the void deck or neighbourhood field?

It is sad that they lose their childhood for none of their fault. The world has been same even without A+ scores. As a father, i am always happy when my son returned with a muddy shirt or scratches on his knee after a football game from his school or if he hits a good shot in cricket(yes, he plays both games equally good as me [angel]:) ). Yes, neighborhood is too boring, even if i chase him to the playground, he returns and say that no one is around in the play ground and ended up playing with me. So, nowadays, taking him 20Kms away to my friend's house to just play in the playground.

Can the white scums stop wasting our money to sponsor some FT trash sports?

Our own people already nothing to eat Liao n the white s--t refuse to up social welfare, yet take our money n sponsor these keling sport tat no true sgrean ever see, let alone play??!!

If the FT s--t skins wan to play, then do it elsewhere n ESP not with my money!!!

Vote for opposition; the benefits are showing now!

but then they need to start to ramp up their supporter number to prepare for 2016 wah, maybe by then FT-turn-local > true-blue-locals.....

Can the white scums stop wasting our money to sponsor some FT trash sports?

Our own people already nothing to eat Liao n the white s--t refuse to up social welfare, yet take our money n sponsor these keling sport tat no true sgrean ever see, let alone play??!!

If the FT s--t skins wan to play, then do it elsewhere n ESP not with my money!!!

Vote for opposition; the benefits are showing now!

↡ Advertisement