Dell Streak Or Samsung Galaxy Tab

NightWind

Dell Streak Or Samsung Galaxy Tab  

26 members have voted

1. 1. As above. Which is better value for money?

• Dell Streak 5"
    • Samsung Galaxy Tab 7"

Hi i am trying to find a replacement tablet phone for my HTC HD2. I love the HD2 for its 4.3" screen. Its great for watching youtube and websurfing and pics and movies and songs. But the typing and texting is terrible. I have to type very slowly. And the phone also hangs alot and reboots and I have the clear the memory cache regularly.

So i am soucing for 2 possible replacements tablet phones. I like the Samsung Galaxy Tab because of its size (7") but it may not fit into my pocket. So the Dell Streak at 5" appears a better choice. Except that this is Dell's first foray into the mobile tablet phone market so i guess the Dell Streak is their guinea pig. Plus it does not look as nice as the samsung tab.

So do share your views with me and your recommendations...oh yeah i wont get the Ipad (1 or 2). The thing cant even make calls and video conference...thats more of a fad fun gadget than a real working tool. No offence i need the tablet to also work with and that included doing excel and word and pdf.

Thanks

↡ Advertisement

Yes i think I can wait. My HTC HD2 should be able to last another 2-3 mnths although its quite heavily used daily.

But i dont like buying and paying a premium for so called latest fads and technology. I look at my needs, which are quite down to earth;

a) Need word/excel/pdf

b) Need email, internet, facebook, youtube, Skype

c) Need Tethetring as i use the phone as a modem for my laptop

d) Need Camera, video and phone conferencing

e) Need multi-language text input and output, English & Chinese

f) Need Radio and Bluetooth

g) Need a large HD scrren at least 4.3" and above for above

I think most tablets will support all of the above easily, the exception is the Ipad as it is not a phone. So thats why I dont mind using older technology (from last year) especially since these are on proven platforms with known limitations. For e.g. u will note I chose the Dell Streak 5" over the Dell Streak 7" for this reason.

If it was not for the poor texting interface I would be perfectly happy with my HDC HD2....but i text hell alot on the mobile, on emails, sms, skype, internet forums...all on the mobile so the poor text interface really pisses me off....

Yes i think I can wait. My HTC HD2 should be able to last another 2-3 mnths although its quite heavily used daily.

But i dont like buying and paying a premium for so called latest fads and technology. I look at my needs, which are quite down to earth;

a) Need word/excel/pdf

I think most tablets will support all of the above easily, the exception is the Ipad as it is not a phone. So thats why I dont mind using older technology (from last year) especially since these are on proven platforms with known limitations. For e.g. u will note I chose the Dell Streak 5" over the Dell Streak 7" for this reason.

If it was not for the poor texting interface I would be perfectly happy with my HDC HD2....but i text hell alot on the mobile, on emails, sms, skype, internet forums...all on the mobile so the poor text interface really pisses me off....

Hmm what about the desire HD instead of a tablet since you already carry a laptop around?

a) Need word/excel/pdf

Just got my Galaxy Tab last weekend, and it fit your requirements perfectly.

The internet browser is such a joy to use, coming from ipad. Now every webpage is rendered perfectly and quickly like a desktop, unlike the ipad that will decide where you can surf so you ended up still having to use the laptop or PC! And the screen size at 7" is perfect for surfing internet. ipad a bit too big and bulky to carry around.

And two free apps stand out: Thinkfree office, and NavFone. Both work perfectly.

The Tab also 'copy' heavily how it function, especially the android store and PC sync concept. So those used to ipad or iphone will take to it very very easily. No learning curve at all.

Only issue I have is that it seems cannot last very long. Maybe I downloaded too many free apps that do location reporting thing. Still monitoring.

Navfone is no longer called that.... it has been changed to SG GPS.

In stock form, there is quite alot of lag. (Need to root and apply lagfix. Whether you want to do over-clock and undervolt to speed it up while minimising battery drain is another option)

The Galaxy Tab's 7 inch screen is still rather small to use for apreadsheets & documents. (Maybe just for emergency viewing) Constant zooming in & out of web pages is also a pain. (That's where ipad's screen size is appreciated)

It is quite cumbersome to use as a phone due to its size.... need to use bluetooth headset. I tried using it for 2 days with BT when my Galaxy S went in for repairs.... no way I'm gonna use it as my primary phone. Call comes in and I'm fumbling for the headset... or headset connectivity got doscinnected..... unless you intend to have the headset on all the time (ear ache) and to carry the Tab with you everywhere you go to prevent headset disconnecting.... else you might get into the embarrasin situation of speaking very loudly to a large piece of contraption being held close to your face.

Camera's photo quality is not good. Probably can suffice for video conferencing. But depending on the data signal strength & speed at the location, it was at best quite choppy during my testing. I've not come across any loaction that had fast enough data speed to give smooth video conferencing. Not advisable to use for work whereby it will be quite irritating.

Tethering is good. But this saps the battery rather fast. If plugged into your notebook to do wired tethering, then it'll not sap the battery that much.... but your notebook's batt would be the one that is drawn down very quickly. Either way, you'll need to get an external battery pack to support extended tethering. Though I've not tethered till the Tab went flat.... I'd figure it'll be like 1.5 to 2 hours at most.

Battery life is very dependent on the brightness setting, but put it too low and in areas that are too bright.... you'll not be able to see anything. Also, it does not last as long as claimed. (7 hours of movies I think). I do video streaming on Wifi at home and a typical movie of about 1 hour 15min will sap about 30 to 35% of battery life.

If you're willing to put u with all these.... then it'll be a great buy.

Go for dell streak if u want mobility, light weight, fits into pocket nicely....i am using one now, no regret, act as phone and tablet, 5" is cool

I walked into a store in HK wanting to purchase the Ipad but was outta stock.

So it boiled down to Galaxy Tab and Dell Streak. Dell streak was more portable. Need no BT headset to make calls. Batt life reasonable, 2 days for me. 2.2 Froyo is good for the moment.

One thing about the Dell Streak, if u have a bad habit of leaving it on charge for a full day, it might kill your motherboard. Known problem. Mine died and had to get the board replaced. under warranty,

Galaxy Tab is not really mobile and cant fit into my pocket. Also, to make calls, BT headset is necessary. IMHO, it zaps lotsa batt power and batt life is importat to me.

The salesman compared it to the Dell Streak. Yes, it has a smaller screen but it is more user friendly.

Hi i am trying to find a replacement tablet phone for my HTC HD2. I love the HD2 for its 4.3" screen. Its great for watching youtube and websurfing and pics and movies and songs. But the typing and texting is terrible. I have to type very slowly. And the phone also hangs alot and reboots and I have the clear the memory cache regularly.

So i am soucing for 2 possible replacements tablet phones. I like the Samsung Galaxy Tab because of its size (7") but it may not fit into my pocket. So the Dell Streak at 5" appears a better choice. Except that this is Dell's first foray into the mobile tablet phone market so i guess the Dell Streak is their guinea pig. Plus it does not look as nice as the samsung tab.

So do share your views with me and your recommendations...oh yeah i wont get the Ipad (1 or 2). The thing cant even make calls and video conference...thats more of a fad fun gadget than a real working tool. No offence i need the tablet to also work with and that included doing excel and word and pdf.

Thanks

In my opinion, the Streak is still considered as a phone (large one). Whereas the Tab is a tablet (small one)

If going for a phone, then I'll prefer a dual core model like the new Galaxy S2 which is faster & display colour & resolution is better.

For tablets, I think the Galaxy Tab is the only one that can double up as a phone. Not sure if the new upcoming Tab2 will have phone features while being larger than the original Tab, but if it has, then it'll be an added selling point.

Thanks, so the samsung tab can tether. Thats important for me.....does it also support chinese text (pin yin)?

So far according to this poll most favour the samsung tab....do u know how much it costs (without line)? thks

(edited)

Thanks, so the samsung tab can tether. Thats important for me.....does it also support chinese text (pin yin)?

So far according to this poll most favour the samsung tab....do u know how much it costs (without line)? thks

Cheapest I know is $688 from the only handphone shop in Bedok Point 3rd floor. You can google the shop as it has branches elsewhere, like AMK.

Actually what you want depends really on yourself only. It depends on what you using it for. For me, I do not use it as my main phone. I have a voice/data line there with reassurance that I can make voice call and sms when I need it. It is for close contacts only. And to make voice calls without BT/handsfree is defintely ok with default loudspeaker mode. You can adjust volume to make it softer and put it closer to you. Putting it to your face sure make people laugh at you.

It is not for video conference calls, definitely, though I think it should do the job with the > 1Mbps speed I consistently getting. My ipad definitely cannot do the job. And the 7" size is very handy for carrying around and surfing internet under landscape mode, no need to strain or zoomthe page at all. My opinion is that it is good enough for viewing documents, though not as main tool for work.

I also bought it knowing that an upgrade to Gingerbread is in the pipeline. I have checked and confirmed with Samsung Singapore that it should be soon. But if you don't mind splurging a bit more, HTC Flyer is a better option having identical spec, with announced upgrade to Honeycomb later on. Whymobile.com is selling it at $860 vs $720 for the Tab. But for me, Tab is good enough.

Sometime deciding based on specs is not really wise, better to see the damn thing in action to get a feel. You might change your opinion and write it off straight away, or fall in love with it. You can borrow it from friend or molest it in shops that carry it. The Best Denki in Parkway has a working sample. If you stay east perhaps we can meet up to show you.

Edited by Best_ctzn

Thanks...$688 is still not cheap....exceeds the price of a PS3 320gig...hmmm...do u know how much the dell streak 5" is?

If it is much cheaper i might just get the Dell Streak instead.....

Thks heaps this helps alot. I cant bellieve the Dell Streak 5" is more expensive than the Galaxy Tab.

And if u look at the huge price reduction in the Galaxy Tab to $538....there must be a reason for this? Maybe the user interface really sucks???

Check it out on Challenger

http://www.challenger.com.sg/newinstores.html

As of April 15 teh price is S$538, member S$528.

If you scroll down further, in January it was selling at S$998! :wacko:

Thks heaps this helps alot. I cant bellieve the Dell Streak 5" is more expensive than the Galaxy Tab.

And if u look at the huge price reduction in the Galaxy Tab to $538....there must be a reason for this? Maybe the user interface really sucks???

Definitely not! most probably is because the successors at 8.9" and 10.1" will be launched in US from June/July onwards. But this 7" Tab is relatively new as it was launched only in Oct 2010 worldwide. So if you wait further, it might go even lower.

Thks...i can understand the price reduction in those terms.....i'll wait till July...my HTC HD2 should be able to hold out....no hurry. Thks heaps

Definitely not! most probably is because the successors at 8.9" and 10.1" will be launched in US from June/July onwards. But this 7" Tab is relatively new as it was launched only in Oct 2010 worldwide. So if you wait further, it might go even lower.

↡ Advertisement