Where To Enjoy A Good "Affordable" Steak?

Vulcann

Yes, cast iron skillet is gold standard. but my friend has something like this

http://www.amazon.com/Scanpan-Classic-2-In...l/dp/B0000CDUUI

with good meat, good enough to beat most steaks served in singapore.

I remember seeing in the supermarkets for quite sometime, grill pans which have been treated with ceramic coating for that non stick effect. similar I think? can't remember whether it is derived from Korea or Japan.

↡ Advertisement

you need a high temperature to sear the surface of the steak quickly so you can seal in the natural juice asap. a teflon pan cannot withstand the high temperature a cast iron one can, especially if you are referring to a griddle pan.

this is what i have been taught by a sous chef.

You r right. Not just cooking steaks, all other dishes need high temp to seal the taste. Our home cooking can never achieve that

Those restaurants gas stove are huge industrial type. The fire is really big and can reach high temp easily.

like my steak-loving friend said,

"if u are willing to buy good meat $20/cut and above, have a smoking grill, good steak is guaranteed"

but i won't let him use my kitchen hahaha [laugh]

like my steak-loving friend said,

"if u are willing to buy good meat $20/cut and above, have a smoking grill, good steak is guaranteed"

but i won't let him use my kitchen hahaha [laugh]

We cant do much in our apartment kitchens. as ducted kitchen hoods are illegal, we only can count on kitchen hoods that are operating on recycle mode and hoods in the latter category don't do their job very well unfortunately. The best place to cook a roaring good steak is in one's backyard. [thumbsup]

What does 'taste' look like?

I've never seen taste seeping out of my steak? [;)]

Another tip is to let a steak rest for 5 minutes or so before eating.

This allows the juices to redistribute.

you seem like one who is very particular about food. Go read up on Maillard Reaction.

Edited by Happily1986

Went to look for the grill pans. Most of them are > 100 bucks!! Ikea is selling one around $30 but dun think it's good. The one from Happycall seems reasonable at $80+ Maybe I'll go for the kimchi then.

Went to look for the grill pans. Most of them are > 100 bucks!! Ikea is selling one around $30 but dun think it's good. The one from Happycall seems reasonable at $80+ Maybe I'll go for the kimchi then.

I used this at my friend's place before. still okay to grill steaks 1.5cm thick

grilla-grill-pan__18799_PE103964_S4.jpg

wah, this is a very useful thread. Once wasted $30 getting a "good" steak from Cold Storage but don't know how to cook it properly --> didn't turn out good [:(]

there is one more western restaurant at joo chiat road. can't remember he unit number, you go in from entrance from Hotel 81 side, walk in. you would see it after few minutes drive. It was featured in Straits Time live, where it state you could the NFL superbowls "LIVE".

Nice thread

IMO I like UNO in tpy

Jerry I like but over priced

Hg 805 only used to be good 15-20 yrs back

Oh nice I like to go try the mariners corner

During valentines I jus cooked myself

Jus rub salt onto beef

Heat up the pan with the lines one I Duno how to call that

Dun even need oil

Jus place the steak afew minutes on ea side

U get the very nice done steak with that grilled lines

Fry up some onions with teriyaki sauce, seaseme oil n Chinese wine

Pour it onto the steak that's it

Paisay my style more towards Chinese haha

Cheap n nice dinner for my family

Kovan area also got afew bistro into beef steak

Google it

(edited)

Jerry I like but over priced

Haha, Jerry BBQ's steaks, ribs, pull pork, buffalo Wings and fried mushrooms naise but slightly over priced but their BBQ's are all grilled by imported Hickory Woods from US. Owned by a taiwanese lady married to an american, Ive been doing are their promotional materials for many years and they always up their prices every time they repeat their print orders. :D

Edited by KaKiLang