Prius is too quiet, may pose safety risk??

Billcoke

(edited)

I have ride in a Prius and it is so quiet that it is like riding in a electric golf buggy.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prius

--------------

Quietness

See also: Electric vehicle warning sounds

The Wall Street Journal reported in February 2007 on concerns that quiet cars like the Prius may pose a safety risk to those who rely on engine noise to sense the presence or location of moving vehicles.[88] Blind pedestrians are a primary concern, and the National Federation of the Blind advocates audio emitters on hybrid vehicles,[89] but increased risks may also affect sighted pedestrians or bicyclists who are accustomed to aural cues from vehicles. However there is also a lack of aural cues from vehicles that have a conventional internal combustion engine, where engine noise has been reduced by noise-absorbing materials in the engine bay and noise-canceling muffler systems. In July 2007, a spokesman for Toyota said the company is aware of the issue and is studying options.[90] In the USA both state[91] and federal legislation[92] have been proposed, and the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration held a public hearing.[93] Different groups and companies are looking at solutions.[94][95] In 2010, Toyota released a device for the third-generation Prius meant to alert pedestrians of its proximity.[96]

-------------

Edited by Billcoke
↡ Advertisement

Turbocharged

I have ride in a Prius and it is so quiet that it is like riding in a electric golf buggy.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prius

--------------

Quietness

See also: Electric vehicle warning sounds

The Wall Street Journal reported in February 2007 on concerns that quiet cars like the Prius may pose a safety risk to those who rely on engine noise to sense the presence or location of moving vehicles.[88] Blind pedestrians are a primary concern, and the National Federation of the Blind advocates audio emitters on hybrid vehicles,[89] but increased risks may also affect sighted pedestrians or bicyclists who are accustomed to aural cues from vehicles. However there is also a lack of aural cues from vehicles that have a conventional internal combustion engine, where engine noise has been reduced by noise-absorbing materials in the engine bay and noise-canceling muffler systems. In July 2007, a spokesman for Toyota said the company is aware of the issue and is studying options.[90] In the USA both state[91] and federal legislation[92] have been proposed, and the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration held a public hearing.[93] Different groups and companies are looking at solutions.[94][95] In 2010, Toyota released a device for the third-generation Prius meant to alert pedestrians of its proximity.[96]

-------------

bro, this is the key point.

Supersonic

I think even the lastest C class CGI merc also very quiet until you cannot heard any engine sound.

I think even the lastest C class CGI merc also very quiet until you cannot heard any engine sound.

So is the C class Kompressor, W204.

Old news & there are 2 solutions:

Toyota's official (optional) solution

prius_noisemaker.png

My solution (free):

stayonsidewalk.jpg

[:p]

Old news & there are 2 solutions:

Toyota's official (optional) solution

My solution (free):

[:p]

Christmas-Holidays-Little-India-Singapore-The-Crowd.jpg

Love to see Prius drivers testing the features at Little India.