SAF Pledge: Allegiance To President & ROS

Vulcann

deh, first day go CMPB, give IC then got pledge already. Even before anything. <_<

Yep, remember that sad sad day at CMPB which saw me at Tekong at the end of it. But the island kinda grows on you and was very happy during my BMT there! Can't remember saying no pledge though...but that doesn't mean I didn't lar, I just can't remember because my memory is damn fcuked up!

↡ Advertisement

Yep, remember that sad sad day at CMPB which saw me at Tekong at the end of it. But the island kinda grows on you and was very happy during my BMT there! Can't remember saying no pledge though...but that doesn't mean I didn't lar, I just can't remember because my memory is damn fcuked up!

You oso Tekong?

Book in book out RPL v sianz...

Camp 1 or camp 3?

(edited)

You oso Tekong?

Book in book out RPL v sianz...

Camp 1 or camp 3?

Haha! Yeap, RPL...thanks for reminding me of the name of that funny "wu suo nanyang" boat we were on! I clean forgot it was called an RPL :D

Camp 1 ... 1995

Edited by Hermitage

Pledge my allegience to the President? That's too much to ask for a ceremonial position.

Theoretically, the President is the head of state, and the head of the civil service administration.

Theoretically, the Presidency forms one of the three pillars, where the Legislative and Judiciary form the other two, and all three are supposed to be independent.

Theoretically, the President guards our reserves and has the power to veto the government if he deems the usage of the reserves as inappropriate.

Theoretically... [:p]

Haha! Yeap, RPL...thanks for reminding me of the name of that funny "wu suo nanyang" boat we were on! I clean forgot it was called an RPL :D

Camp 1 ... 1995

Mine oso Camp 1 & Falcon Coy Pl 21, 1988 [;)]

Still rem last time my DI bringing us to pick durians in btw guard duty.

Those were the days...

Pledge my allegience to the President? That's too much to ask for a ceremonial position.

Precisely the same reaction after the powers that be who have recently pour cold water over the enthusiasm of some excited candidates declaring what they intend to do if got elected & this is because of what the constitition stated about the ceremonial role of the EP.

What will happen if a rogue government takes over one unfortunate day & suddenly the SAF personnel who have been pledging their allegiance to the President & ROS all this while are urged instead to follow orders from them?

Does the ROS represent the government of the day or us citizens?

Mine oso Camp 1 & Falcon Coy Pl 21, 1988 [;)]

Still rem last time my DI bringing us to pick durians in btw guard duty.

Those were the days...

Hwah! Your memory is fantastic man! WoW, '88...was that before the 3rd door was built into that infamous Charlie bunk? Remember being in Bravo Coy, goodness only knows what platoon though!

Yeah guard duty was a siong but sometimes quite amazing thing! Saw a huge silver-backed wild boar sniffing around our cookhouse once when prowling [shocked]

Frankly speaking.... my 2-1/2 year in SAF. never mention this pledge before [laugh]

as for president personal opinion is because president is head of state similar to king.

As human beings like us, the presi can make mistakes, when this happens, are we going to support him blindly?? Maybe since he has no executive power, he cant really do harm to others / our nation, therefore he has no chance even to make mistake? :D

Mine at BMTC Tekong. cannot remember saying the same pledge leh... the one i took was longer. :ph34r:

maybe when you said it you were having hi fever, said also forgot straight away, now how to remember it? :D

Hwah! Your memory is fantastic man! WoW, '88...was that before the 3rd door was built into that infamous Charlie bunk? Remember being in Bravo Coy, goodness only knows what platoon though!

Yeah guard duty was a siong but sometimes quite amazing thing! Saw a huge silver-backed wild boar sniffing around our cookhouse once when prowling [shocked]

you didnt load and shoot these wild boars?? wasted!! :D

this is to ensure you know why we prataman 4 mil a year excluding any other type of bonuses

rumors has it (strange that it has to be rumor) that he takes home about$7mil a year after all the bonuses

anybody for president

The SAF Pledge

We, members of the Singapore Armed Forces, do solemnly and sincerely pledge that we will always bear true faith and allegiance to the President and the Republic of Singapore.

We will always support and defend the Constitution.

We will preserve and protect the honour and independence of our country with our lives.

So says the SAF pledge which many of us have been saying throughout our NSF & reservist days.

My question is why are we pledging our allegiance to the President? Is it because he is the head of state? What about the PM or the Defence Minister who is the head of MINDEF & of course SAF.

And the allegiance to the Republic of Singapore is to her people or the government of the day?

Other than comments from fellow MCFers bros & sis, any constitutional experts to comment?

Camp 1 ... 1995

Me - Camp 1, Alpha Coy , 1985. Makes me ancient huh ? :D

Was it Echo or Charlie Coy?

Ya our DIs told us abt the horrible incident of a poor recruit who died under mysterious conditions during the 24km route march.

Actually we didn't encounter any wild boars during BMT but heard that there were elephants there.

Many stories circulating abt the island though...

Me - Camp 1, Alpha Coy , 1985. Makes me ancient huh ? :D

Haha quite appropriately.

Alpha was a errr... a 白马 Coy in my time IIRC.

Very welfare as accordance to my buddies who had friends there.

Your coy line was all the way to the front while ours was far back near to the SOC.

Wow time really flies...