SAF Pledge: Allegiance To President & ROS

Vulcann

i only look forward how to siam the next ict ippt & saf craps, & ndp is meaningless too, after all its a dog eat dog world, no amount of serving this nation will make YOU stands out, its only a transition hub for elitist

& for fark sake stop sending saf pioneer magazine to my mailbox

during my time they charge a fee for the pioneer mag, not sure they still doing it now, u can actually cancel it which i did a few years ago. give them a call, number can be found in the mag or the envelope, tell them u dont want it. they will ask for reason, my reason is tt i can read the contents online(yes u can), so no need the hard copy to be deliver to me.

↡ Advertisement

Me - Camp 1, Alpha Coy , 1985. Makes me ancient huh ? :D

Haha! JUSTIFIED...and Ancient! [cool]

No lah, I'm getting there too man...getting there too! [:(]

Was it Echo or Charlie Coy?

Ya our DIs told us abt the horrible incident of a poor recruit who died under mysterious conditions during the 24km route march.

Actually we didn't encounter any wild boars during BMT but heard that there were elephants there.

Many stories circulating abt the island though...

I don't remember mate! Elephants?!? Never seen one there, lots of boars though, seen families running around like in Nat Geo Wild. Anyway, we 'lau peng' kinda OT this thread already! Better break out of nostalgia and get back on track before we get scolding!

Errr...what was this thread about ah??? [confused]

The SAF Pledge

We, members of the Singapore Armed Forces, do solemnly and sincerely pledge that we will always bear true faith and allegiance to the President and the Republic of Singapore.

We will always support and defend the Constitution.

We will preserve and protect the honour and independence of our country with our lives.

So says the SAF pledge which many of us have been saying throughout our NSF & reservist days.

My question is why are we pledging our allegiance to the President? Is it because he is the head of state? What about the PM or the Defence Minister who is the head of MINDEF & of course SAF.

And the allegiance to the Republic of Singapore is to her people or the government of the day?

Other than comments from fellow MCFers bros & sis, any constitutional experts to comment?

y president? my guess apart tt he is the head of the state and he is solely elected by the people without being involve in any of the political parties. PM and def minister position is rather appointed, anyway the PM is supposedly appointed by him also.

allegiance basically is to the people of course, dun forget tt government of the day was elected by the people.

(edited)

Yup, took the pledge at CMPB and then private bus transport us to Pulau Brani. Every yr say the same pledge on 1st july @ Tuas naval base parade square and then its half day off!!! One of the very few times I wore my No.3 uniform. [laugh]

Not sure allegiance to who, but upstair one phone call, we are activated. The phone call was from a private from ops room. So I guess we pledge our allegiance to the ops room guy/gal??? [laugh] Kena thrice during my time.

P.S : Oops, should be downstair. Ops room in bomb bunker. [laugh]

Edited by Adrianli

Got la, they made us raised our hands to say that pledge during the first day of enlistment and every time during SAF day on July 1.

Maybe you attend C during those days? [laugh]

Yeah, i think so. Should have said pledge in first day of enlistment.

Unless they change doctrine liao recently (5-10 years ago).

Most recent, retired COA should know. As such, got say pledge of allegiance to president or not, if yes, keechiew....

(edited)

Theoretically, the President is the head of state, and the head of the civil service administration.

Theoretically, the Presidency forms one of the three pillars, where the Legislative and Judiciary form the other two, and all three are supposed to be independent.

Theoretically, the President guards our reserves and has the power to veto the government if he deems the usage of the reserves as inappropriate.

Theoretically... [:p]

May i correct your understanding on the concept of separation of powers...

There are 3 organs of the state

1. executive - meaning the cabinet ministers

2. legislative - meaning the parliament

3. judiciary - the judges

All 3 organs are supposed to be independent and separate from each other, this is the concept of separation of powers eg the law minister cannot comment on a case that is being heard in court as this will affect how the judges pass sentence.... Similarly, a cabinet minister cannot tell the judge how to award damages if his ministry is being sued by a citizen...

Here in SGP, the members of the executive are also members of the legislative, which can be confusing at times when u talk about strict separation of powers.

The president is a ceremonial role and doesnt fit in any of the above, as with the Queen of England. I do not think he has the power to veto how the reserves are used as the power to use the reserves lie with the legislative (i think they need 2/3 majority to change any laws on how the reserves to be used)

Edited by Fishy

Nah mate! I quite bobo one [blush] scare miss! [blush]

LOL......... then if that happens, you'd better climb and stay up there on the tree.... but the boars will wait 24 hours downstairs for you [:p]

(edited)

y president? my guess apart tt he is the head of the state and he is solely elected by the people without being involve in any of the political parties. PM and def minister position is rather appointed, anyway the PM is supposedly appointed by him also.

allegiance basically is to the people of course, dun forget tt government of the day was elected by the people.

Very basic and 'root' of the matter:- a country is made up of its people, not just the PM and his gang...... they are just elected by the people to lead ie their power is 'given' by the people subject to how good they meet KPIs.

Loyalty to country = loyalty to its people and whatever policies etc which serve the people, not the PM+gang.

If any ruling gang is f up, loyalty of us remains with the people, not the f up policies.

Keep a close watch on any ruling party to see if its up to it in bringing good life and true democracy to the people.

Edited by KARTer

(edited)

this is to ensure you know why we prataman 4 mil a year excluding any other type of bonuses

rumors has it (strange that it has to be rumor) that he takes home about$7mil a year after all the bonuses

anybody for president

someone is laughing and talking to himself "Hey, sgpreans are damn stupid, pay me $_m a year and i can just shake legs and sleep, once in a while smile a bit for photo shoots.... where else can anyone find such a job....." :D

Edited by KARTer

(edited)

Haha! JUSTIFIED...and Ancient! [cool]

No lah, I'm getting there too man...getting there too! [:(]

NSMened?

Me, together with many bros, "graduated" and kena dumped liao!!

No more IPPTs, ICTs, MOBs...

HURRAY!!

Like my inchik used to say: WANT SOME MORE OSO DUN HAVE!!

[laugh]

Edited by Vulcann

Turbocharged
(edited)

it used to be that the pr3sdient gots lots of power, then in the 80s p@p decided to change alot of it so now pr3sident become figurehead oniz, which raise the question y pay a figure heard $4,000,000++ per annum? to s!l3nce h!m? :X

Edited by Duckduck

Errr...what was this thread about ah??? [confused]

Errr...thread is about SAF's allegiance to the EP, governement of the day or the people [dizzy]

actually.... i wouldnt be able to say anything if any soldier were to ask that question during ICT... lucky never had to....

https://www.theonlinecitizen.com/2019/06/15/former-ns-man-raises-question-toward-saf-pledge/

swear-in.jpg

Former NS man raises question toward SAF pledge

Neyla Zannia 2019-06-15 Opinion

by Simon Lim

I express my opinions as a Singapore citizen.

I have served my full-time National Service almost 40 years ago and yesterday when I chanced upon the Singapore Armed Forces (SAF) pledge on-line again, it drawn on me a very different meaning and feeling, one that I have not given serious thought to over the decades. Let me explain.

“We, members of the Singapore Armed Forces, do solemnly and sincerely pledge that we will always bear true faith and allegiance to the President and the Republic of Singapore. We will always support and defend the Constitution. We will preserve and protect the honour and independence of our country with our lives”- SAF Pledge.

This is the SAF Pledge that generations of SAF personnel have recited but I seriously wonder how many of them truly, truly digest, understand and concur with every single word in that pledge.

I take strong issue with the part that says, “We will bear true faith and allegiance to the President.”

The reality in Singapore today, very, very unfortunately, is that our President is a controversial President, whether we as a people are honest and courageous enough to admit it or not. I stress, firstly, the President is not a Malay President even though the Elected Presidency (EP) criteria for that election clearly stated that the EP was Reserved for the Malays only.

Next, it was a walked-over and nobody, absolutely nobody cast a vote for her even though that was supposed to be an Elected President. In other words, she was engineered and manoeuvred into the Office of the President of the Republic of Singapore by this People’s Action Party (PAP) government.

Given all that, I ask myself when I read the SAF Pledge very slowly and digest it word for word how could I be expected to bear true faith and allegiance to such a President and preserve and protect it with my life? Wow!

My allegiance and loyalty should be and will forever be with my country and the Constitution but to such a president??? My answer to my question is that I do not think that I would like to be an unthinking or even a fat pawn. Think.

This was first published on Simon Lim’s Facebook page and reproduced with permission.

• Praise 5

POTUS is the Commander in Chief and holds the key to nuclear weapons. Even the american military don't swear allegeonce to the legitamitely elected POTUS.

Want us to swear allegience to a selected president?

Kiss my apples....  -_-

• Praise 2