Effective remedy for motion sickness?

Albeniz

I used to have this same problem. It's the smell of the disinfectant on the plane.

After smelling this and I try to control not puking when they start serving the smell of food will trigger it.

Even the smell of cherry disinfectant used in Mt Avenia horse Peter toilet makes me want to puke.

I think they did a study people that want to puke because of the smell of disinfectant are all geniuses so you have a very smart boy there.

And yes axe oil helps. I never fly without it.

ð

Walau....don't use axe oil in a confined cabin space leh.

Some other may puke instead

↡ Advertisement

@atrecord, bro, from grandmother passed down pattern, no scientific explanation one which always work for us.  [laugh]  [laugh]  [laugh]

Is to paste this over the belly button before the journey. 

tokuhon.jpeg

but this one like out of stock a long time liao, the nearest to this is  this

39709.jpg

• Praise 1

I used to have this same problem. It's the smell of the disinfectant on the plane.

After smelling this and I try to control not puking when they start serving the smell of food will trigger it.

Even the smell of cherry disinfectant used in Mt Avenia horse Peter toilet makes me want to puke.

I think they did a study people that want to puke because of the smell of disinfectant are all geniuses so you have a very smart boy there.

And yes axe oil helps. I never fly without it.

motion sickness can either take some anti-emetic medication before hand.

dimenhydrinate would be suitable for your kids age as prophylaxis. but cause drowsiness.

If he's old enough, u can take blackmore's ginger tablets. Work almost as well as the sedating medications.

my girl vomits on buses and car rides overseas as well. So when i go TW, will mostly take trains.

wah tks...

These can buy from pharmacies, or need see GP to prescribe?

When we went Taiwan, some of the mountain routes quite winding, and the drivers drive everyday so boh dai ji, but my wife and kids a bit jialat... For me still ok, since many moons ago i was used to worse - sit in M113 inside there goreng goreng  [laugh]

If you're going on those mountainous routes, got no train one leh... better plan properly to avoid them if really cannot tahan.

the last few times he puked, what was he doing on the plane? tried giving him sweet?

We also baffled by it. Don't remember any difference between the times he puked, and those that he didn't in the past leh. The first trip he puked, he was still enjoying the in-flight entertainment, and still ate (he will finish whatever my wife or parents can't finish...), but later on the active-ness went down and he started to keep quiet, then boh ho seh already...

Don't think we tried sweets, How does that help, actually?

Go clinic and get doctor to prescribed anti nauseating medicine. Last time every time before a long drive to genting, we will go clinic to get for our son. Take it just before the plane moved. It the same medicine they give if one of your symptoms is vomiting.

OK, think we'll definitely do that.

Oh, if talking about drive to Genting. It involves altitude too. Apart from motion sickness, some people - like my wife - seem to be susceptible to altitude sickness too...

yah, i also scared, scully later kanna whacked or cursed  [sweatdrop]

@atrecord, bro, from grandmother passed down pattern, no scientific explanation one which always work for us.  

Is to paste this over the belly button before the journey. 

tokuhon.jpeg

but this one like out of stock a long time liao, the nearest to this is  this

39709.jpg

Wah, this is interesting!  [thumbsup]

I long long time no see the Tokuhon already. Young that time my parents got buy...

OK, will remember this 'magic formula'. Think prepare everything, and hope one or more of them will work  [laugh]

Must be belly button? And how long before must paste leh? 

Wah, this is interesting!  [thumbsup]

I long long time no see the Tokuhon already. Young that time my parents got buy...

OK, will remember this 'magic formula'. Think prepare everything, and hope one or more of them will work  [laugh]

Must be belly button? And how long before must paste leh? 

Tokuhon like out of stock very long liao, we try to buy a few times cannot get, ended up switching to sanoplas. 

yah must cover the whole belly button, and interesting, one pc just nice cover up swee swee. 

We usually paste for the kids just when we board the plane, or 15 min before long coaches ride. So far so good.

But my kids have since growth up and we no longer do this liao.  [laugh]  [laugh]  [laugh]

Wah i think my son sure si bey happy...

just recently @vratenza complimented him for making our old washing machine moved again. And now you say he's genius... (like you)

Are you serious that there really is an aeroplane (disinfectant) smell? My wife and I actually brushed it off as BS leh... never noticed it. If true, maybe we should have treated it more seriously.

But axe oil worried not everybody can tahan leh. Later boh puke, but kanna wallop instead [sweatdrop]

It's really the disinfectant smell. That's why Mt A toilet makes me want to puke also.

In fact just reading your post brought back memories of the smell and I was feeling quezy.

Probably need to see GP

Yeah nope, not going up to the mountains, should be just normal roads.

yeah i'm bit prone to motion sickness as well, so once i feel bit queasy, i know my girl confirm GG liao. 

wah tks...

These can buy from pharmacies, or need see GP to prescribe?

When we went Taiwan, some of the mountain routes quite winding, and the drivers drive everyday so boh dai ji, but my wife and kids a bit jialat... For me still ok, since many moons ago i was used to worse - sit in M113 inside there goreng goreng  [laugh]

If you're going on those mountainous routes, got no train one leh... better plan properly to avoid them if really cannot tahan.

My daughter hav the same problem on my 1st road trip to Cameroon Highlands. B4 that no problems, even road trips to Genting is ok.

So nowadays to b safe, she will pop 1 motion sickness pill b4 we go on long hauls....

novomin_174.jpg

• Praise 3

yup novomin is dimenhydrinate.

My daughter hav the same problem on my 1st road trip to Cameroon Highlands. B4 that no problems, even road trips to Genting is ok.

So nowadays to b safe, she will pop 1 motion sickness pill b4 we go on long hauls....

novomin_174.jpg

Twincharged

We asked him why like that, and he said it's the smell on the flight that he cannot tahan. Wife suggested bring axe oil this time, but i think better ask for more pro help... from experts here  [laugh]

usually if one is on a long haul flight from the beginning , it should be ok ... its only if joining from transit then you will "fee" the power from the flight.

when I was working in the airlines, you can imagine when the doors of the long haul plane opens ... wooh !! you would wish you had a few cartons of Dettol with you !! and even for short flights for Air India ... the smell of spices !!

• Praise 1

I always wonder why a person can have motion sickness? It is due to what factors which causes a person to have motion sickness? I also have motion sickness since young, dont like to sit long distance bus/car/train, but never puke but only feel giddy and nausea and never need to take motion sickness pill. Then quite funny along the way i dont feel so strongly of the feeling of giddy and nausea even during my army days when i need to sit at jerking 3-tonner. But now when i get older, my motion sickness seems to feel quite bad again, even now slight jerkiness, i would feel giddy and nausea, and i cant sit at the back seat of a car/taxi.

We also baffled by it. Don't remember any difference between the times he puked, and those that he didn't in the past leh. The first trip he puked, he was still enjoying the in-flight entertainment, and still ate (he will finish whatever my wife or parents can't finish...), but later on the active-ness went down and he started to keep quiet, then boh ho seh already...

Don't think we tried sweets, How does that help, actually?

don't know leh but when i kid and i have motion sickness my mum give me eat sweet leh

I always wonder why a person can have motion sickness? It is due to what factors which causes a person to have motion sickness? I also have motion sickness since young, dont like to sit long distance bus/car/train, but never puke but only feel giddy and nausea and never need to take motion sickness pill. Then quite funny along the way i dont feel so strongly of the feeling of giddy and nausea even during my army days when i need to sit at jerking 3-tonner. But now when i get older, my motion sickness seems to feel quite bad again, even now slight jerkiness, i would feel giddy and nausea, and i cant sit at the back seat of a car/taxi.

your vestibular (balance) system is no longer accustomed to such quick and unpredictable movements. So it starts to go out of sync (sorta like computer lag) and that makes u feel sick as there's a dis concordance between your systems.

It's like why kids can do like cartwheels etc and don't feel any giddiness. Lol try doing a cartwheel at this age, it's a bit disorienting.

Yup i don't do well in some taxis and PHVs as well. Sometimes even my own car especially after the tyres have been rotated and rebalanced.

Let the person with this probelm share with you guys. I am not exaggerating. when i was young, primary school, the max is 3 bus stops and the cocktail will be out.

as i grow older and older, i travelled more than 15 hours in rocking coach, no problem. i think it can be overcome. mind got to be distracted and sleep is best medicine.

so try to expose him more to overcome it. understand this is how sailor do it too. 

• Praise 1

I don't have motion sickness but smells of certain medicated oils like Axe brand, White flower & the green coloured one & Coffee always made me nauseous.

That's one of the reasons I don't like to take taxis or other people's car because of the smell & the airfreshener used.

• Praise 2

your vestibular (balance) system is no longer accustomed to such quick and unpredictable movements. So it starts to go out of sync (sorta like computer lag) and that makes u feel sick as there's a dis concordance between your systems.

It's like why kids can do like cartwheels etc and don't feel any giddiness. Lol try doing a cartwheel at this age, it's a bit disorienting.

Yup i don't do well in some taxis and PHVs as well. Sometimes even my own car especially after the tyres have been rotated and rebalanced.

I guess my balancing system is spoilt, thats why even minor jerk i also feel sick.  :sick:  Think nothing to do with age lo, cause some people very old also dont have motion sickness.

For those who are prone to motion sickness, avoid situations that can bring it on, eg.,

-Try to get seats further front on a flight

-Sit in front of moving vehicle, don't be backseat passenger.

-or, be the driver instead. It's true that those who fall sick in a car won't have it when they became the driver.

-Avoid full meal before boarding a flight or vehicle

-Have sourish sweets/drinks handy

-Find out what scents that make u feel calm or evoke pleasant feelings; essential oil, certain medicated oils.

-In smelly situation where it's beyond one's control, apply favourite scent on nostrils or apply some on a knotted kerchief to inhale frequently.

Sharing some of the medicated oils that I usually have with me:

post-109106-0-19684900-1509949137_thumb.jpg

Something like this that's used to rub on baby's tummy. There's a smaller version; brown coloured liquid in a green cap bottle.

post-109106-0-19034100-1509949156_thumb.jpg

• Praise 2

Let the person with this probelm share with you guys. I am not exaggerating. when i was young, primary school, the max is 3 bus stops and the cocktail will be out.

as i grow older and older, i travelled more than 15 hours in rocking coach, no problem. i think it can be overcome. mind got to be distracted and sleep is best medicine.

so try to expose him more to overcome it. understand this is how sailor do it too. 

Must also depends on the person's body. If the balancing system is really spoilt, also no point to expose and overcome it. Lol.

↡ Advertisement