Effective remedy for motion sickness?

Albeniz

When you're travelling, look far away at the horizon if possible.

That will desensitize your balancing system.

Our ears is responsible for the balancing system.

yes a major issue with traveling with kids prone to this is that they often are sitted too low without their usual child seat. It's one of the reasons why my girl always vomit but she's usually fine in SG (of cos sg terrain is also flat)

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1

I got to thank my primary teacher for always pull my ear .... its only now I understand his good intention. 

:XD:   rite .....  [knife]

• Praise 7

I avoid drinking the orange juices served onboard as the drink generates phelgm in my throat which makes me wanna puke after some time.

• Praise 3

It seems like in NS, everything experience there always can survived de. But after ns liao, many things suddenly cannot survived?! 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fCR0ep31-6U

:XD:

The closest thing to this is a pregnant lady having morning sickness and the smell of pig hand cooked in vinegar causes her to throw up.

It's not motion sickness and if she was not pregent she will happily eat the pig hand.

Edited by DACH
  • Praise 2

Pig hand?  <_<  [laugh]  :XD:

I noticed those who have motion sickness as a passenger will not experience motion sickness if the person becomes a driver.

Why?

Have to concentrate on driving which takes the mind off sickness.

I used to go sailing a lot and always get sick during first few hours.

Then learned how to navigate and had to concentrate on that and voila no sickness.

Edited by Neutrino
  • Praise 3

Pig hand?  <_<  [laugh]  :XD:

I noticed those who have motion sickness as a passenger will not experience motion sickness if the person becomes a driver.

Why?

nope. I get it as a driver as well, but depends on terrain. 

i do get it sometimes in SG but it's when the the roads are terrible, lot of those metal temporary roadworks along thomson, upper Bt timah or near mandai region.

• Praise 2

You mean even sit at the back of the car seat, by looking far away could help in motion sickness? I find that i need to able to see infront of the road, then it will reduce my motion sickness. If sit behind the seat, looking at the side window, I would still feel giddy and nausea.

Maybe my ears already spoilt, thats why balancing become haywire.

Edited by 13177
  • Praise 1

Best cure for motion sickness is alcohol, if you can take. A small cup of Aquavit or two cans of Tigers will counter it nicely + you get to drink your favourite beverages instead of taking strange tasting medicines.

[:)]

I know it runs counter of what many preaches, but this advice actually comes from a seafarer.

Edited by Kangadrool
  • Praise 2

i do get it sometimes in SG but it's when the the roads are terrible, lot of those metal temporary roadworks along thomson, upper Bt timah or near mandai region.

Agreed, driver might get motion sickness too. When i drive up those long and high carpark ramp, i would feel giddy.

I am one of those really unfortunate ones who suffers from motion sickness easily since a kid

I always feel nauseous be in bus, car, taxi, whatever transport u name it, I will have it

My best friend during school time is sour plum, I always have it where ever I go as it really helps to relief the symptoms, and it's so bad that I have to always bring a plastic bag with me. Sour plum sort of save me through my growing up years

It only got better when I am in my twenties and now I prefer to drive than be driven, some like to brake and brake, I will feel very unwell with these type of rides

Good thing I don't suffer from motion sickness so easily and frequently as last time so haven't had sour plum for the longest time which is a relief as well

When i first took a plane to KL and then changed to a cab to go up genting ~40+ yr ago as a small kid, i remembered the flight was ok, but the old winding road those days (v different from the nice highway now) caused me to almost throw up also. My mother also bought sour plums then. I never knew why it helped though.

Oh, on the braking part, this one i understand very well. I used to tell my wife (then fiancee) when we were driving manual car that if the gear changing is not smooth, it will cause passengers - and i used my grandmother as example - to puke... She later used this same analogy to suan her younger brothers when they started driving and the vehicle jerked a lot [laugh]

• Praise 1

I do suffer from mild motion sickness in cars, but never to the extent of actually puking or being unable to function. It is also generally terrain-dependent, and the weird part is that I start feeling strange after a prolonged period of highway travel, while going round and round a mountain road is perfectly fine (when in Hong Kong, I enjoy the minibus rides on the mountain routes!) Another ironic thing about me: I can do my work on my laptop in a moving vehicle, but the moment I play games or surf other things, I get dizzy! I guess it's a good thing as it keeps me productive. 

Probably related to this, I realized that I do get motion sickness as a driver only in high vehicles on a long highway drive. For instance, in the past I enjoyed driving lorries around the neighbourhood or through minor roads, but I would feel really dizzy after driving on 5th gear for barely 10 minutes on the highway, such that I had to quickly exit the highway to avoid being a road hazard. I get it with some MPVs and SUVs too, though to a lesser extent -  I can usually complete a 30 minute drive but have to rest and refresh myself before taking the return journey. I experience no such issue in most sedan cars, and I can also sprint round HK's mountain roads for hours on end in the cars I've owned there so far (all sedans) and still feel great. 

• Praise 1

yes a major issue with traveling with kids prone to this is that they often are sitted too low without their usual child seat. It's one of the reasons why my girl always vomit but she's usually fine in SG (of cos sg terrain is also flat)

hmm... if height is a factor, one surefire way to test out is to bring her go and take double decker and sit upstairs lor. Ask her to see far far. If she's ok, then it's confirmed a big factor.

Still got sell this now ?

TB17HNlFVXXXXaGXpXXXXXXXXXX_!!0-item_pic

I think so. A colleague gave me one few years back, told me it's good for cough. 

Is it good for motion sickness too?

Turbocharged

If I read a book or the handphone on the bus, will feel like puking.

Sitting in the back seat of a lousy taxi with bad handling skills also same.

My remedy is to try go to sleep.

• Praise 1

so for your case, you used axe oil to mitigate the trigger is it? Did you do anything else that helped it? 

i just told my wife about it. Looks like we'll standby all the various suggestions found in MCF - and see which one works.

Just a hanky with a few drops of axe oil.

So far nobody sitting next to me has ever complained.

Its really not a heavy smell.

The other thing is not to eat too much before the flight

but if really hungry then coke helps and potato chips.

Coke brings up all the air so less bloated feeling means

less wanting to be sick and when you don't feel well but

need to eat something then chips is always appetizing.

This is also a solution for people with gastric who always

travel and never eat meals on time. Every airport has coke

and chips.  [thumbsup]

:D   

• Praise 1

Just a hanky with a few drops of axe oil.

So far nobody sitting next to me has ever complained.

Its really not a heavy smell.

The other thing is not to eat too much before the flight

but if really hungry then coke helps and potato chips.

Coke brings up all the air so less bloated feeling means

less wanting to be sick and when you don't feel well but

need to eat something then chips is always appetizing.

This is also a solution for people with gastric who always

travel and never eat meals on time. Every airport has coke

and chips.  [thumbsup]

:D   

The air in the sealed aeroplane won't be pleasant with all the burps and farts. haha.

↡ Advertisement