Tyre pressure

Mllcg

Last month, I sent the car to workshop and they set the tyre pressure at 290kpa.

the tyre looks under inflated, so top up till 320kpa. I feel better with this pressure.

Is indicated in the tyre that the max pressure is 340kpa, see picture below.

Is it too high?

Thank you.

attachicon.giftyre.jpg

Wow yours is 747 Jumbo Jet ah?

Most car tire recommended abt 220kpa n u can pump till 340kpa??????

I just pump 215kpa(recommended is 210kpa) just nice for grip, comfort n FC.

Over-inflate like yours wil feel shiok n light but yr grip is gone till slightly slippery road n corner u wil skid out for sure. E brake also no grip so u just keep moving till BANG.

↡ Advertisement

I think it should be fine to follow the tyre pressure set by your workshop, cos they are the experts. My own tyre pressure also pump in accordance to my tyre workshop mechanic's recommendations.

If you looked at other cars' tyres, many will looked like under inflated, especially the front 2 tyres, with the bottom part fatten out. But you can't trust your eyes. Only a tyre gauge can confirm it. It may look under inflated but in fact, it is not.

Yes u r right.

It is normal for Radial tires to have the bulge at the sidewall even at the correct pressure so it can b misleading to many inexperienced drivers.

Only way is to use a good accurate tire pressure gauge to check tires when ty r cold.

Wonder pump natrogen and normal air how different, actually normal air also is 80% Natrogen, WS natrogen also is not 100% pure, how much different?

Wonder pump natrogen and normal air how different, actually normal air also is 80% Natrogen, WS natrogen also is not 100% pure, how much different?

I also tot no big deal till I pump Nitro.

Now I only need to go pump tires every 3-4 months or longer.

last time every week must go to petrol station n Q like what. Tires MUST b cold n those pumps not accurate.

Now I just drive easy peasy.

kachunt feel different lor....

I read somewhere b4 that no need follow car manufacturers recommended tyre pressure just dun exceed 90% of the maximum pressure ur tyre side wall indicates than u should be fine just adjust according to ur preferences less for comfort and more for better fuel economy.

• Praise 1

What is so difficult about following the recommended tire pressure?

I dun understand why ppl are so insistent on going with their butt feel.

There's a reason why the car maker gives you a number to follow.

Your tires are one of the important factors when it comes braking. The braking distance, its effectiveness all of which could be affected by the tire pressure. What you want to get is a balance. You can't have it all on performance or you can't have it all on fuel economy.

So why do something you will regret later?

• Praise 1

Your tires are one of the important factors when it comes braking. The braking distance, its effectiveness all of which could be affected by the tire pressure. What you want to get is a balance. You can't have it all on performance or you can't have it all on fuel economy.

Fully agree with you bro..... as a friend of mine mentioned before that our ride and its passengers are "secured to the road" by 4 palm-size of tyre. We need to adhere to the car manufacturer on the its tyre pressure recommendation to ensure optimum pressure to satisfy safety, stability and fuel economy.

But, we sometimes try to follow our 'good feeling' on this issue (pressure, tyre size (upgrade), etc) ... :)

I have changed to a bigger rim and tyre. the car manufacture recommendation on tyre pressure may not be applicable any more.

Anyway, I have restored the pressure to 290kpa - what kah motor workshop pumped earlier.

thanks all the bros

Contrary to popular belief, tyre pressure is not determined by the type of tyre or its size but

upon your vehicle's load and driving application i.e. speed

To find out what your car's tyre pressure should be, consult the manufacturers tyre placard usually found inside the driver's door sill, glove box, fuel filler cap or under the bonnet.

The placard also displays the manufacturers recommended tyre sizes.

Tyre pressures should be checked when the tyre is 'cold', as pressure increases as the tyre becomes 'hot'.

Take the "cold" reading and check them against the recommended tyre pressures from your placard.

Heavy loads or towing puts an extra strain on your tyres. So if your vehicle is fully loaded with passengers and luggage, the general rule is to add 28kpa (4PSI or 4lbs).

At high speed, (defined as driving at 120km/h for over one hour), your tyres will wear out twice as fast as when you drive at 70-80 km/h. If your tyres are under-inflated by twenty per cent tyre life can be reduced by thirty per cent. The rule here is to add 28Kpa (4PSI) from your Minimum Compliance Plate Pressure. Don't inflate your tyres above 40 psi or 280 kPa. When the tyres get hot from driving, the pressure will increase even more.

Believe it or not, checking your tyre pressure can have a big impact on our environment. An under-inflated tyre creates more rolling resistance and therefore more fuel consumption. By keeping your tyres inflated to their proper levels, you can help maximise your car's fuel economy and minimise its impact on our environment.

Informative read from Bridgestone

• Praise 1

thanks for many feed back here are very positive too.

Follow what car manufacturer you wont go wrong (but did happened mistake too).

what marked on the tyre is MAX (working pressure) for that particular tyre .

how much is the best (NO answer from me)

you can always pump to your own preference but not any thing lower than car lable and higher than tyre marking

and higher is 99% better for mileage(fuel and tyre life)

and upsize tyre should go little higher than smallest size

Those not sure one just drive to any tyre workshop and ask loh. Rather than looking all over your car, or by visual gut feel.

For my 18" I pump 250.

But pumping 300 IMO really too excessive, unless it's 22" wheels?

• Praise 1

Those not sure one just drive to any tyre workshop and ask loh. Rather than looking all over your car, or by visual gut feel.

For my 18" I pump 250.

But pumping 300 IMO really too excessive, unless it's 22" wheels?

the vehicle maker tyre pressure label is easily found either driver door pillar , door side or fuel pump cover.

so it is not very hard to locate them

best person to ask is still tyre expert (shop )

otherwise just refer to your car owners manual [thumbsup]

Turbocharged

I think need not be too alarmed if you pump to 280 or 300 ; provided that you comply to your vehicles recommended pressure on the stock tyres.

My Golf R32 stock is 225 40 R18 ; and the recommended pressures found inside wheel cap are :

1or 2 passengers without luggage - Front 280 Rear 280

4 or 5 passengers with luggage - Front 300 Rear 320

I pump 280 ( 40 psi ) on cold ; and still have lots of grip.

• Praise 1

I think need not be too alarmed if you pump to 280 or 300 ; provided that you comply to your vehicles recommended pressure on the stock tyres.

My Golf R32 stock is 225 40 R18 ; and the recommended pressures found inside wheel cap are :

1or 2 passengers without luggage - Front 280 Rear 280

4 or 5 passengers with luggage - Front 300 Rear 320

I pump 280 ( 40 psi ) on cold ; and still have lots of grip.

I think it's on the high side. I drive a Renault Megane R26 and pump 250 for both front and rear (same tyre profile as yours). The tyre wear seems to tell me that I am over inflating it.

• Praise 1

(edited)

those who insist not to follow car maker's specs and to pump high high, suggest you change all four wheels & tyres to space saving spare tyres - yes, you can pump 80 psi for those. [sly]

Follow specs can die meh? [laugh]

Edited by Kangadrool
  • Praise 1

Supercharged

Yes, cos some car owners upsize their rims and tyre, so the sticker at the door (which state the pressure of the stock tyres) doesn't apply anymore.

So best is to ask the tyre shop.

those who insist not to follow car maker's specs and to pump high high, suggest you change all four wheels & tyres to space saving spare tyres - yes, you can pump 80 psi for those. [sly]

Follow specs can die meh? [laugh]

But space saver tyres can travel max 80 km/h only leh.... [sweatdrop]

the last person i ask is tyre shop people. Many simply knows nothing and only know how to fit a tyre.

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1