China: 1st time in Shanghai

AFV_V200

Ok can will find hotel around the area there.

Btw got fly with china eastern before?

Among the major china airline, this had the worst service. Good luck.

Just hope your flight is not delay by too much [sly][sly]

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1

sq flies a380 into PVG from sin.

• Praise 3

+1

Better stick with SIA. Nothing comes close even though it's more ex.

Remember to remove the "SIN" luggage sticker before you step out of the airport. Stay low profile. Actually I won't go there to do shopping, it's not cheap. In fact nothing interesting in big cities.

Edited by Watwheels
  • Praise 1

Hi guys just don't feel like creating new thread so tap on the old thread

Will be going to shanghai for a week, bought the ticket for dec.

Since my last visit was like 6-7 years ago with little impression (was with tour guide), so basically i only know the bund, oriental tower and nanjing lu. But unfortunately i forgot all these places and even my hotel name!

So all the experts here can advise which hotel best? Preferable 5 star with budget 100-250 per night will do. Location is important best if located connecting to a large shopping mall.

And anyone has lobang for car rental with driver? I might need to use it for few days. Preferable luxury sedan cos only 3 people.

Kum sia in advance :D

I stay at this hotel 2 yrs ago. Right beside Nanjing Lu and a subway station, Nanjing Lu East station.

Grand Central Hotel Shanghai

http://www.tripadvisor.com.sg/Hotel_Review-g308272-d1478708-Reviews-Grand_Central_Hotel_Shanghai-Shanghai.html

Unless you are traveling out of Shanghai, If not I think taxi and MRT is easier.

Shanghai traffic jam is very bad during peak hour if you go by taxi.

Edited by Tohto

sq flies a380 into PVG from sin.

Sq timing not good

Prefer afternoon flight like china eastern.

P.s sq economy and china eastern biz difference only 300

I stay at this hotel 2 yrs ago. Right beside Nanjing Lu and a subway station, Nanjing Lu East station.

Grand Central Hotel Shanghai

http://www.tripadvisor.com.sg/Hotel_Review-g308272-d1478708-Reviews-Grand_Central_Hotel_Shanghai-Shanghai.html

Unless you are traveling out of Shanghai, If not I think taxi and MRT is easier.

Shanghai traffic jam is very bad during peak hour if you go by taxi.

I will be traveling with elder in wheelchair, so taxi still better option. Don't dare to take their crowded subway

Will list grand central as one of my choice.

Southern or China Air better ...

How about scoot?

I personally took china eastern before 6-7 years ago and indeed not good cos plane was old.

Now new plane thought would be better

How about scoot?

I personally took china eastern before 6-7 years ago and indeed not good cos plane was old.

Is not just about plane.

Their service was real bad.

During business trip to China that need to visit a few city, I will avoid China Eastern and try to take Air China for domestic flight. Somemore Air China still got Krisflyer miles.

Edited by Tohto

Is not just about plane.

Their service was real bad.

During business trip to China that need to visit a few city, I will avoid China Eastern and try to take Air China. Somemore Air China still got Krisflyer miles.

Ok then i think i will take SQ economy better. I am worried with the delays

Can try The Puli Hotel , Jingan district , Puxi . Nearby within walking distance got at least 3malls and very near to nanjing west road . Lots of nice eatery nearby .

If you need transport , call 8613916504555 , Mr Lin . Rates pretty reasonable , car well kept and clean .

Been staying at this hotel for the last 6 years , free wifi and even the stuffs from mini bar is free .

Food wise , can try seafood steamboat at Hui Ge , Chinese food at Shu Ze Hui , tepanyaki at ambrosia . You can google all these places .

Shopping wise , other than the usual malls like IFC , SWFC , highest viewing tower , should try Tian Ze Fan , nice local place to shop and have coffee there during winter .

Edited by Hubwee
  • Praise 1

How about scoot?

Scoot doesn't fly Shanghai.

The planes SQ uses on this route are mostly old planes like B777-200. The entertainment system are often of the very old small screen type, very dark, and the meals onboard (especially SH-Sin) suck big time, yet SQ charges $1300-$1600 on normal fares for Econ. It is definitely over-priced unless on promo like $6-700.

Shopping (for the missus) if going for small fashion shops/brands can consider Xiu Jia Hui area (上海六百/百合 I think....http://www.xjh-sc.com/6bai.htm

In Dec it will mostly be winter fashion of course!

For Taxi I think they run on CNG/LPG, so trunk space may be smaller.

Dec is going to be cold - in Shanghai it is 阴冷 - wet cold which feels worse, so dress warmly!

In the evening if nothing to do, go for foot/body massage after all the shopping walking. Just don't follow any touts into taxi!

Enjoy your trip!

• Praise 1

The planes SQ uses on this route are mostly old planes like B777-200. The entertainment system are often of the very old small screen type, very dark, and the meals onboard (especially SH-Sin) suck big time, yet SQ charges $1300-$1600 on normal fares for Econ. It is definitely over-priced unless on promo like $6-700.

Shopping (for the missus) if going for small fashion shops/brands can consider Xiu Jia Hui area (上海六百/百合 I think....http://www.xjh-sc.com/6bai.htm

Dec is going to be cold - in Shanghai it is 阴冷 - wet cold which feels worse, so dress warmly!

In the evening if nothing to do, go for foot/body massage after all the shopping walking. Just don't follow any touts into taxi!

Enjoy your trip!

Thanks bro for the tip, i may bring forward the trip to mid november.

Can try The Puli Hotel , Jingan district , Puxi . Nearby within walking distance got at least 3malls and very near to nanjing west road . Lots of nice eatery nearby .

If you need transport , call 8613916504555 , Mr Lin . Rates pretty reasonable , car well kept and clean .

Been staying at this hotel for the last 6 years , free wifi and even the stuffs from mini bar is free .

Food wise , can try seafood steamboat at Hui Ge , Chinese food at Shu Ze Hui , tepanyaki at ambrosia . You can google all these places .

Shopping wise , other than the usual malls like IFC , SWFC , highest viewing tower , should try Tian Ze Fan , nice local place to shop and have coffee there during winter .

Noted bro later before the trip will print out my itinerary haha

• Praise 1

Enjoy your trip!

SQ now had A330-300, 777-300ER and A380 flying, you need to check their flight schedule.

I just have a fast check, most of the flight are using newer plane already.

Concerning the temperature, the same 5degC at Shanghai feel a lot colder compared to Bejing.

post-29292-0-31747400-1413266667_thumb.jpg

Edited by Tohto

if you are travelling with an elder with a wheelchair, some china airlines do not have chute and it is stairs. hard for elderly so you need to check if they have. the wet cold mentioned is quite uncomfortable in the early mornings. winter starts in mid to late dec, to early feb.

• Praise 8

Anyone going to shanghai? I going again for disneyland and probably a visit to shanghai tower. Most importantly makan2 haha.

Then also considering to go beijing for 2-3 night stay, then come back to shanghai again, which one better take flight or hsr? I see flight time in google 2.5hrs, comparing sg to shanghai 5hrs 20min and to beijing 6hrs, how come it took longer from shanghai to beijing?

• Praise 1

Anyone going to shanghai? I going again for disneyland and probably a visit to shanghai tower. Most importantly makan2 haha.

Then also considering to go beijing for 2-3 night stay, then come back to shanghai again, which one better take flight or hsr? I see flight time in google 2.5hrs, comparing sg to shanghai 5hrs 20min and to beijing 6hrs, how come it took longer from shanghai to beijing?

I travel by HSR between shanghai and Beijing.

HSR is more reliable than the domestic flights. HSR station is also right in the Beijing city center. While airport is far away.

I never trust China domestic flights, no delays is abnormal in China domestic flights.

If you have a 2 hours delay, the total time is same as HSR already.

Edited by Tohto
  • Praise 3

Take HSR sure arrived in time. Airplane no guarantee arrived in time
  • Praise 1