• Search this thread
  • Reply to this topic
166 replies to this topic | 73 praises

Posted 18 July 2011 - 11:24 AM

Cook1234
  • Cook1234
    2nd Gear
    The points of the user determines the rank. The higher the points, the higher the rank.
    Author Image
    The bar represents the rank and points of the user. The longer the bar, the higher the rank and points.

Points are accumulated from other users who Praise or Disliked this users' posts.

Got strategy to save on buying used car using these quidelines:

1) buy a parf car with about 3 years left to go> so that there's not much money the dealer can mark up anyway.
2) go for mileage about 10-15kpa. <10k pa is too underutilized and may pose other problems.
3) go for agent serviced.
4) preferably 1 owner and parked in sheltered place.
5) prepare not to take loan so that 1) dealer cannot make money for loan 2) can get rid of car anything if not happy or if any major defect without suffering any loss from early loan settlement because value of car is near paper value anyway.

If bros and sis notice that in ST advertised are usually newer cars, thus much can be marked up on price and dealer can make on loan also. Dealers don't mind advertising bacause they stand to make a lot if deal is realised.

So sgcarmart is the place to go to looks for such good value cars if bros and sis scrutise hard enough.

Just my humble view and may not suit everyone, especially those looking for cars with latest features etc.

Posted 18 July 2011 - 11:28 AM

Davidtkl
  • Davidtkl
    6th Gear
    The points of the user determines the rank. The higher the points, the higher the rank.
    Author Image
    The bar represents the rank and points of the user. The longer the bar, the higher the rank and points.

Points are accumulated from other users who Praise or Disliked this users' posts.

These are tips not strategy.

Posted 18 July 2011 - 11:28 AM

Mcf777
  • Mcf777
    NOS-ed
    Author Image

10-15k pa for a 7yrs old car?
conti car still able to find easily.
B&B car quite difficult, unless they reset the speedo.

And if you are buying Toyota/Lexus car, Borneo will not reveal car owner records

===================================

Distributor: Used car's record confidential unless...

WE REFER to Madam Jenny Han's letter last Saturday ('It's a Catch-22 situation with used cars').

The policy of Borneo Motors is to respect and maintain the confidentiality of our customers' data at all times, even if they are no longer owners of the vehicle.

This confidentiality of customer information is maintained unless and until required by a legal authority to reveal it.

Borneo Motors will also consider a written authorisation from the owner (or previous owner as the case may be) to release the information to a specified buyer.

In contrast, customers who purchase pre-owned Toyota or Lexus vehicles from Borneo Motors' pre-owned division are provided with official confirmation on the condition of the vehicle as well as pertinent vehicle service maintenance and repair history.

This ensures customers can make an informed decision and enjoy peace of mind when purchasing a pre-owned Toyota or Lexus vehicle from us.

Alison Ong (Ms)
General Manager
Customer Relations Division
Borneo Motors (S)

Edited by Mcf777, 18 July 2011 - 11:33 AM.

Posted 18 July 2011 - 11:30 AM

Toyo
  • Premium member
    Toyo
    Supercharged
    Author Image

u also need to consider the wear and tear parts that need to be replaced for a 7 year old car. Could add up to a couple of thousand bucks

Posted 18 July 2011 - 11:30 AM

SimonTan
  • SimonTan
    Banned

Go and ask for a long test drive. Must test the used car right? Must get opinion right?

Then drive it to another second hand dealer, telling him you you want to sell/trade in that car!
The second dealer will give you his most honest answer to the real worth of the car. This old lah, that wear out lah, old model hard to sell lah, low Coe value, etc etc.

With that in mind....make a offer somewhere in between to the first car dealer for the car!

That's my best advice for all car buyers!!

Posted 18 July 2011 - 11:38 AM

Asd78
  • Premium member
    Asd78
    4th Gear
    Author Image

Can meh? Wont they be following you on your test drive?
-------------------------------------------------------------------

Posted 18 July 2011 - 11:51 AM

LoverofCar
  • Premium member
    LoverofCar
    NOS-ed
    Author Image

Ya, as a ex-owner of the car..i want my detail to remain confidential as well...I had an experience before when I sold my 2 years old car...the buyer actually called me to ask about the car history...KNN..damn tu lan....I call the agent and fark him upside down!

''Don't take life too serious...learn to forgive and forget..after all.....no one get out of life......alive''

Posted 18 July 2011 - 11:52 AM

Moredhel
  • Premium member
    Moredhel
    6th Gear
    Author Image

Go and ask for a long test drive. Must test the used car right? Must get opinion right?

Then drive it to another second hand dealer, telling him you you want to sell/trade in that car!
The second dealer will give you his most honest answer to the real worth of the car. This old lah, that wear out lah, old model hard to sell lah, low Coe value, etc etc.

With that in mind....make a offer somewhere in between to the first car dealer for the car!

That's my best advice for all car buyers!!

Normally you talk alot of c--k.

But this suggestion is good. laugh.gif
Sexy Ass Tiko Ranger:- ^^
"How fortunate for leaders, that the masses do not think." - Hitler.

Posted 18 July 2011 - 12:04 PM

Soya
  • Soya
    2Fast2Furious
    Author Image

maybe TS's 'strategies' is for buying these 3yrs left to go cars?

http://www.sgcarmart...h...288&DL=1231

or

http://www.sgcarmart...h...646&DL=2175

laugh.gif laugh.gif

Posted 18 July 2011 - 12:40 PM

Old-driver
  • Old-driver
    6th Gear
    Author Image

maybe TS's 'strategies' is for buying these 3yrs left to go cars?

http://www.sgcarmart...h...288&DL=1231

or

http://www.sgcarmart...h...646&DL=2175

laugh.gif laugh.gif

Wahahaha....

Posted 18 July 2011 - 12:45 PM

Galantspeedz
  • Premium member
    Galantspeedz
    2Fast2Furious
    Author Image

1) buy a parf car with about 3 years left to go> so that there's not much money the dealer can mark up anyway.
2) go for mileage about 10-15kpa. <10k pa is too underutilized and may pose other problems.
mileage can be adjusted
unless you can verify, if not same as not saying
1 owner yes. sheltered carpark cannot verify
5) prepare not to take loan so that 1) dealer cannot make money for loan 2) can get rid of car anything if not happy or if any major defect without suffering any loss from early loan settlement because value of car is near paper value anyway.
if dun take loan. they will up the price or less discount. LPPL

If bros and sis notice that in ST advertised are usually newer cars, thus much can be marked up on price and dealer can make on loan also. Dealers don't mind advertising bacause they stand to make a lot if deal is realised.

So sgcarmart is the place to go to looks for such good value cars if bros and sis scrutise hard enough.

Just my humble view and may not suit everyone, especially those looking for cars with latest features etc.

you must know how dealer work...
MCF PS3 Gang
MCF Hamsup Tiko Ranger

Posted 18 July 2011 - 05:55 PM

Jcosta
  • Jcosta
    1st Gear
    Author Image

When i went to look around for 2nd hand cars i went with a cousin of mine who is a mechanic. One thing he helped me with was advising me on choosing a car that also wouldn't be too expensive to fix in case of having any troubles with it. I think that for most people that can also be a good point to look for.

Posted 18 July 2011 - 10:45 PM

Jim
  • Jim
    4th Gear
    Author Image

When i went to look around for 2nd hand cars i went with a cousin of mine who is a mechanic. One thing he helped me with was advising me on choosing a car that also wouldn't be too expensive to fix in case of having any troubles with it. I think that for most people that can also be a good point to look for.

Dont mind me asking, is there any specific car model that is not expensive to fix? I am quite surprised by the cost to repair my Honda for a rather small superficial damage....good thing I'm not paying.

Posted 18 July 2011 - 11:02 PM

Jcosta
  • Jcosta
    1st Gear
    Author Image

Dont mind me asking, is there any specific car model that is not expensive to fix? I am quite surprised by the cost to repair my Honda for a rather small superficial damage....good thing I'm not paying.

Sure they are all expensive to fix but surely you agree that there are brands whose parts or fixing expenses are a lot more expensive than others, at least it's what I think but maybe i'm not right;)

Posted 18 July 2011 - 11:24 PM

Staz
  • Staz
    Neutral Newbie
    Author Image

$1000 fix auto sliding door cheap?

Posted 19 July 2011 - 01:11 AM

Jim
  • Jim
    4th Gear
    Author Image

Sure they are all expensive to fix but surely you agree that there are brands whose parts or fixing expenses are a lot more expensive than others, at least it's what I think but maybe i'm not right;)

All I know is VW used to be a massive pain to fix with long wait for parts but that was a long time ago. I suppose we have to stick to popular AD models then. My car is PI, JDM only, which is probably why it is so expensive, even though it is a popular car model.

Thanks!

Posted 21 July 2011 - 05:44 PM

Svensson
  • Svensson
    Neutral Newbie
    Author Image

You can also used car cover paint protection (auto lakbescherming) - it becomes more expensive :)bot_img_05.jpg

Posted 21 July 2011 - 06:20 PM

GoodCar
  • Premium member
    GoodCar
    6th Gear
    Author Image

Dealer also reading this arh.:)
Anyway dealer also got family to feed, as long as don't chop too much can liao.

Posted 22 July 2011 - 12:55 AM

SGCarmarter
  • SGCarmarter
    Neutral Newbie
    Author Image

I've traded in my ex-car for another 2nd hand Chevy to a dealer which i bought the car from.

I first downpay for the Chevy and sales agreement in April and oso did the trade-in documentations within the next few days with them.

Till now, I still receive reminder letters from Maybank to pay installation and overdue interest for my ex-car. While on the other hand, I'm oreadi paying installment for the Chevy.

Later, I found out from one-motoring website that I still have both car registered under my name.

The car dealer have quit the company and ask me to talk to another dealer which says their admin is sorting things out. But 3mths oreadi!! @@

Is it normal for trade-in deals to be like this?

Should i pay for my ex-car loan installment?
(I'm worried if i dont pay, will affect my credit rating and affect my HDB loan assessment...)

pls anyone can enlighten me who how to make the car dealer to deregister my car?

Thanks

Posted 22 July 2011 - 01:16 AM

Roh96
  • Roh96
    Supercharged
    Author Image

There is always a risk in buying a used car. The best option is to buy from someone u know, like friends, friend's friend, neighbours, colleagues.

Back to General Car Discussion  ·  Cars Top Reply to this topic
SgCarMart Quotz

Quick Reply

Tags: strategies, buying used car and 1 more...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users