Strategies on buying used car

Cook1234

do youself can within a day.

let dealer do few days

you very kancheong to drive the car meh

even transfer also cant drive.

no insurance

That's provided you already had your insurance confirmed approved and chopped.

it's not abt kancheong or not, it's to provide full information if you wanna advise ppl and not just half of it

Ppl is asking if it is possible to settle in a day and not whether kan cheong or whatever you mentioned.

It is possible to settle in a day, insurance can settle within a few hours. Got cover note can drive liao.

Even with outstanding loan also can settle in a day just need to start early and run a few place.

I did it before.

thanks for the reply bro, same thought here too [:p]  [laugh]

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1

Can la.. but where got people see car liao immediately say buy and settle on same day one.. 
From the day you decide to buy, sure already had made pre- calling and arrangement to say settle loan or get bank loan or buy insurance etc lor..
Say until as if wah .. I go down to dealer, see a car at 9:30 am.. can drive home at 9:30 pm so fast.

Won't be immediate.

Takes few days.

You need to fill up forms.

Submit online / paper.

Wait for LTA to process.

Notify you of successful transfer.

But, nobody is so gancheong like you lah, why you want immediate ?

Beacuse just pass mah, want to drive fast. Also, 2nd hand car from my uncle, was asking to see whether can immediately transfer then can use the car. HAHAHA

I though transfer can do online. 

From 26 November 2018, vehicle owners will be able to use SingPass/CorpPass 2-Factor Authentication (2FA) for four new digital services on the One.Motoring website: transfer of vehicle ownership; transfer of PARF/COE rebates; transfer of Temporary Certificate of Entitlement (TCOE); and vehicle deregistration

Used vehicle should be totally safe to buy, so probably it makes sense to buy a car at a rental service as they give the recommendations needed?? for example, https://iversta.com/, has anybode tried it yet?

How you know it’s totally safe?

How many used cars you bought before?

• Dislike 1

Lets say if I decided to buy a used car from a direct seller, will the transfer be immediate? How will the transfer process be like?

Yes, all can be done within the same day. 

If car no more outstanding loan, buyer buy insurance online ( immediate can get cover page, dont have also never mind, LTA can link to all insurance company) both party just have to bring IC  go to LTA at sin ming lane, take queue number, do the "paper work" over the counter, buyer go pay the $11 transfer fee, transfer done, go back to car park, one hand give key one hand take money. 

Sgcarmart has a used car take over form, just download the form, both party sign, put down date and time of hand over. Once handover done, the car is yours. 

Been there, done that.  [laugh]  [laugh]  [laugh]

Edited by Tianmo
  • Praise 3

do youself can within a day.

let dealer do few days

you very kancheong to drive the car meh

even transfer also cant drive.

no insurance

That's provided you already had your insurance confirmed approved and chopped.

seriously, you sure you know what you are talking?

who tell you let dealer do takes few days?  who tell you transfer  liao cannot drive?  who tell you no issuance can do transfer? 

get your facts right lah.

Can la.. but where got people see car liao immediately say buy and settle on same day one.. 

From the day you decide to buy, sure already had made pre- calling and arrangement to say settle loan or get bank loan or buy insurance etc lor..

Say until as if wah .. I go down to dealer, see a car at 9:30 am.. can drive home at 9:30 pm so fast.

Where got ppl see car liao immediately say buy and settle on the same day one? 

Who tell you dont have? You dont know does not mean dont have hor. 

I did that a few years back, yes I did that. so who say dont have?

I saw the car I wanted at sgcarmart, call the dealer at 11am, ask questions over the phone, arrange to see the car at 1pm. Went to bank draw cash, went over to see car, everything in order except one handle not working. Pay deposit, dealer buy insurance for me on the spot over the net, print out cover letter, dealer send car to get the handle done, wait for admin staff to settle e transfer, I go have a kopi, 3pm dealer call me can go back collect car liao. 

Paid up the balance in cash, sign take over form, dealer tell me give me a free grooming, but too rush for them to do, so he called up the groomer at auto bacs, give them car plate number, i drove the car there, wash vacuum and wax. 

by 6pm I already at home, login buy season parking liao, that is including go pump petrol. 

need to take 9.30am to 9.30pm so long meh? 

siao is it? 7 hours only leh, and that's from calling to reach home. 

• Praise 4

I saw the car I wanted at sgcarmart, call the dealer at 11am, ask questions over the phone, arrange to see the car at 1pm. Went to bank draw cash, went over to see car, everything in order except one handle not working. Pay deposit, dealer buy insurance for me on the spot over the net, print out cover letter, dealer send car to get the handle done, wait for admin staff to settle e transfer, I go have a kopi, 3pm dealer call me can go back collect car liao.

Paid up the balance in cash, sign take over form, dealer tell me give me a free grooming, but too rush for them to do, so he called up the groomer at auto bacs, give them car plate number, i drove the car there, wash vacuum and wax.

by 6pm I already at home, login buy season parking liao, that is including go pump petrol.

Wah you must have been sharp or lucky to have met that dealer , if by now you are still convinced that they are good , must share the lobang here.

I bought my current used car and it took me two days to get the car from the day i saw it, i thought already damn fast. Some more the sales guy quite good, he dropped by my house to pick up my IC to do transfer and number retention etc and returned ths IC to house chop chop.

Edited by Ct3833

Exactly

Once you see, all gd, within the day all can b done

• Praise 1

Wah you must have been sharp or lucky to have met that dealer , if by now you are still convinced that they are good , must share the lobang here.

I bought my current used car and it took me two days to get the car from the day i saw it, i thought already damn fast. Some more the sales guy quite good, he dropped by my house to pick up my IC to do transfer and number retention etc and returned ths IC to house chop chop.

LUCKY!!! cfm is lucky, I am never sharp with car dealers.  [:p]

I cannot remember the name liao, but it was located at ubi auto car mart, I think is level 4 beside the big staircase. I remember the staircase because we went up to see car via that staircase, and drove one round around the car park. 

I think the reason is, firstly the car was with them for more than 6 months, and they quite urgently wanted to get rid of the car. Thats why can only view car at 1pm, because the sales person need to go draw the car out from their warehouse.  I was also paying them in cash in full, so that may have gone away with the paper work on loan. And finally the ex owner kept the car in great condition, the dealer didnt do any touch up,  otherwise the handle would have been fixed before I saw the car. So i took the car as it was after they fixed the handle. 

Most times, many dealers only do the touch up after cfm sales, that will take some days also. The more touch up needed, the more time required lor. 

Those cars groom until kim kim and swee swee ones, usually will cost more, but turn ard time also alot faster. 

So more lucky than anything for me, but still it can be done in the same day lor. And I sold a car to direct buyer before, also done in the same day. ... [laugh]  [laugh]  [laugh]

Edited by Tianmo

LUCKY!!! cfm is lucky, I am never sharp with car dealers. [:p]

I cannot remember the name liao, but it was located at ubi auto car mart, I think is level 4 beside the big staircase. I remember the staircase because we went up to see car via that staircase, and drove one round around the car park.

I think the reason is, firstly the car was with them for more than 6 months, and they quite urgently wanted to get rid of the car. Thats why can only view car at 1pm, because the sales person need to go draw the car out from their warehouse. I was also paying them in cash in full, so that may have gone away with the paper work on loan. And finally the ex owner kept the car in great condition, the dealer didnt do any touch up, otherwise the handle would have been fixed before I saw the car. So i took the car as it was after they fixed the handle.

Most times, many dealers only do the touch up after cfm sales, that will take some days also. The more touch up needed, the more time required lor.

Those cars groom until kim kim and swee swee ones, usually will cost more, but turn ard time also alot faster.

So more lucky than anything for me, but still it can be done in the same day lor. And I sold a car to direct buyer before, also done in the same day. ... [laugh][laugh][laugh]

Tbh no need to be lucky, if buying a few months old 2nd hand car and you are not those fussy type, why not possible to settle in a day. And we are talking about you "FULL CASH" demon king so everything can chop chop.
  • Praise 1

LUCKY!!! cfm is lucky, I am never sharp with car dealers. [:p]

I think the reason is, firstly the car was with them for more than 6 months, and they quite urgently wanted to get rid of the car. Thats why can only view car at 1pm, because the sales person need to go draw the car out from their warehouse. I was also paying them in cash in full, so that may have gone away with the paper work on loan. And finally the ex owner kept the car in great condition, the dealer didnt do any touch up, otherwise the handle would have been fixed before I saw the car. So i took the car as it was after they fixed the handle.

So more lucky than anything for me, but still it can be done in the same day lor. And I sold a car to direct buyer before, also done in the same day. ... [laugh][laugh][laugh]

Confirm lucky or not i dont know but cobfirm rich man lah. Pay full cash some more. Haha.

The last few used cars i bought all have no respray, body have mild scratches or dents around but i dont mind. To me, it is a true indication of the car condition before it is sold, not a car that have been langa, or never maintained but respray nice nice before selling off.

So one point i want to highlight is , when buying a used car, especially not the very new used car, focus more on the car condition which is more difficult and time consuming to assess, not the bodywork.

Edited by Ct3833
  • Praise 2

Tbh no need to be lucky, if buying a few months old 2nd hand car and you are not those fussy type, why not possible to settle in a day. And we are talking about you "FULL CASH" demon king so everything can chop chop.

Yah, if car is relatively new with no major issue, and buyer not so fussy over small small things, cfm possible to settle within a day. Just that dealers will always ask for more time so they dont have to rush, can do things at their own pace. 

I dont always pay full cash lah, just happen that time the car was quite an old one and price not too high, so thought mai ma huan with the paper work on loan, just get it over with. Anyway, I am not a full cash person, I always believe in taking loan one, keep cash in hand always better.  [:p]  [laugh]  [laugh]

• Praise 1

Confirm lucky or not i dont know but cobfirm rich man lah. Pay full cash some more. Haha.

The last few used cars i bought all have no respray, body have mild scratches or dents around but i dont mind. To me, it is a true indication of the car condition before it is sold, not a car that have been langa, or never maintained but respray nice nice before selling off.

So one point i want to highlight is , when buying a used car, especially not the very new used car, focus more on the car condition which is more difficult and time consuming to assess, not the bodywork.

No lah, me no rich man lah. I believe in taking loan and keep the cash one. Just happen that was an old car and value not very high, so just get it over with. Any value higher, must fill up loan application form liao.  [laugh]

yah, I totally agree with you on these points. When i buy used cars, I dont look at the cosmetic first, although many times the heart will feel stronger than the head. Luckily my head still wins end of the day. But then I guess buy car just like buying anything else, sometimes luck play a part too.  [laugh]  [laugh]  [laugh]

• Praise 1

AFAIMC

1- Cosmetic not important, colour not important

2- Price and mechanical condition very important

3- Number of ownership not important

4- Accident history not important

5- LTA compliant fairly important

6- Interior condition rather important

Because

1- can easily enhance if really need to scratch the itch and pocket allows

2- budget budget budget...inclusive of maintainance costs - value for my hard earn money

3- Used, what to do?

4- Again it’s Used, how to check unless bring to WS specializes in accident repair? We can only self check on various panel alignment, colour tone etc

5- Modified CAT, EXO or Snail would be a headache to resolve

6- Since most of the time spend would be behind the wheel - Sagging roof lining, rattling or squeaky panels would drive me nuts

My two cents and just me...

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1