Strategies on buying used car

Cook1234

Put it the other way. Worst is to sell to friends, neighbour or relatives.

Even buy from frens no guarantee is a good buy.

Wait car spoil here n there, fren say, "Dunno leh. I drive is no problem. Maybe u bad luck. "[:/]

↡ Advertisement

Dealer's loss is not necessarily your gain.

I prefer to buy 2-3 years old car, first owner takes huge hit on depreciation. Cars these days are usually build to last at least 5 years, after the fifth or sixth year, lots of wear and tear items to replace. 7th? Sounds scary, too much risks to save a few thousand dollars.

Mostly all my cars I drive till 10 years scrap or 20 years for COE car. So far no problems other than usual wear n tear items.

U just need to take basic care, have a good n honest mech n drive sensibly.

Most cars can easily last 20 years or more if looked after n serviced according to the handbook. [thumbsup]

Mostly all my cars I drive till 10 years scrap or 20 years for COE car. So far no problems other than usual wear n tear items.

U just need to take basic care, have a good n honest mech n drive sensibly.

Most cars can easily last 20 years or more if looked after n serviced according to the handbook. [thumbsup]

The oldies with less electronics, yes, the newer models are not build like before, from my own experience.

If you buy new and keep for 10 years, perhaps. But if you buy pre-owned, it can potentially be a painful experience. I used to own an old conti, after 6-7 visits to various workshops and noone had a clue what was wrong, I scrapped it. It was taking up too much of my time and monies. If you know the history of the car, it is at least easier to troubleshoot, if not it can take weeks if not months and numerous trips to the workshop to fix the problem, could be penny wise and pound foolish...

Neutral Newbie

I've traded in my ex-car for another 2nd hand Chevy to a dealer which i bought the car from.

I first downpay for the Chevy and sales agreement in April and oso did the trade-in documentations within the next few days with them.

Till now, I still receive reminder letters from Maybank to pay installation and overdue interest for my ex-car. While on the other hand, I'm oreadi paying installment for the Chevy.

Later, I found out from one-motoring website that I still have both car registered under my name.

The car dealer have quit the company and ask me to talk to another dealer which says their admin is sorting things out. But 3mths oreadi!! @@

Is it normal for trade-in deals to be like this?

Should i pay for my ex-car loan installment?

(I'm worried if i dont pay, will affect my credit rating and affect my HDB loan assessment...)

pls anyone can enlighten me who how to make the car dealer to deregister my car?

Thanks

you are basically screwed. LTA only acknowledge registered name to the car. So in your case, you are still the owner of the ex-car. Talk to the dealer that still holding on to your ex car. You should consider making a police report as car stolen.

The oldies with less electronics, yes, the newer models are not build like before, from my own experience.

If you buy new and keep for 10 years, perhaps. But if you buy pre-owned, it can potentially be a painful experience. I used to own an old conti, after 6-7 visits to various workshops and noone had a clue what was wrong, I scrapped it. It was taking up too much of my time and monies. If you know the history of the car, it is at least easier to troubleshoot, if not it can take weeks if not months and numerous trips to the workshop to fix the problem, could be penny wise and pound foolish...

take it to the AD instead of various WS

Conti u need a mech experienced with conti. Many ah beng mech even have trouble with BnB jap cars. [laugh][laugh][laugh]

I also tot of getting an old Merc(COE) but my regular mech not that good in them n he told me so. Thats why I never get.

That is true, love the conti feel but not worth the trouble back then. Maybe when I am semi retired and have monies to sparse, otherwise better to buy new conti or used Japs, always the reliable workhorse.

(edited)

there is no strategy alot of it is on buyer judgment and negotiation skills

Edited by Ithunk

(edited)

10-15k pa for a 7yrs old car?

conti car still able to find easily.

B&B car quite difficult, unless they reset the speedo.

And if you are buying Toyota/Lexus car, Borneo will not reveal car owner records

===================================

Distributor: Used car's record confidential unless...

WE REFER to Madam Jenny Han's letter last Saturday ('It's a Catch-22 situation with used cars').

The policy of Borneo Motors is to respect and maintain the confidentiality of our customers' data at all times, even if they are no longer owners of the vehicle.

This confidentiality of customer information is maintained unless and until required by a legal authority to reveal it.

Borneo Motors will also consider a written authorisation from the owner (or previous owner as the case may be) to release the information to a specified buyer.

In contrast, customers who purchase pre-owned Toyota or Lexus vehicles from Borneo Motors' pre-owned division are provided with official confirmation on the condition of the vehicle as well as pertinent vehicle service maintenance and repair history.

This ensures customers can make an informed decision and enjoy peace of mind when purchasing a pre-owned Toyota or Lexus vehicle from us.

Alison Ong (Ms)

General Manager

Customer Relations Division

Borneo Motors (S)

I would like to share my experience pertaining to this.

I bought a 2nd 2006 Toyota Vios 1.5E FL in March 2009.

It was 42000KM of millage.

Before paying for deposit, I called Borneo Motors, asked for the last SERVICING and was advised 35000KM and highlighted that I am buying this as a Second hand car.

Alright, good, I thought it's good, agent serviced.

After collecting the car, I went to Borneo Sin Ming for a 40000KM servicing just because I just collected the car, I want to assure the condition.

The receipt given to me was with the Previous owner's Name, Full address, and his Contact number..

I DID mentioned before dropping the key with them that I am the new owner, update my particular.

I still have it with me, and I can slap Borneo Motor with that receipt with what they mentioned above.

Well, went back a few time and was very disgruntled with their quality of service, I went to have my servicing done outside.

This workshop I went, happens to be the workshop where the previous owner of my Vios went, to do his 10K, 20K, 30K & 40K servicing, promptly.

I smell something fishy, so I went down to Borneo Motors Bukit Batok Vicom to find out more about that 35K "Servicing" done there.

To my horror, it's a $7000 ACCIDENT REPAIR at the millage 35000KM.

I asked for details of the repair, they say: Sorry, we delete and destroy any information that happens more than one year ago.

Fine, forget it!

Well, I didn't persist on the matter, given the fact that the car has been serving me well with no after effect of accident.

But seeing this message from Borneo Motors, I feels dammm......

Borneo Motors, perhaps they don't walk their talk!

Whatever Ms Alison Ong mentioned above, I don't seems to see it at all, NOT at all.

Until today, I still thinking of calling the previous owner to find out what accident he have en-counted with the car.

Edited by Gohsj89

Dont mind me asking, is there any specific car model that is not expensive to fix? I am quite surprised by the cost to repair my Honda for a rather small superficial damage....good thing I'm not paying.

I heard Nissan parts made in Taiwan are cheaper than Honda's?

I notice when they valuate yr car, the 1st thing they do is open up the hood to check engine & parts.

Any idea what they are watching for? What is the tell tale signs?

Had you tail-gated and just rear-ended another car? Shoddy repairs workmanship can be identified.

Not always so much profit....i know cos after i sold my car to used car dealer, i monitored sgcarmart n the last listed price b4 it was sold translated to a $2K profit for the dealer. [cool]

The last car I bought, was sold to be at the used car dealer's purchase price by their newbie salesman (did not know/forgot about profit mark-up for making his first car sale). He got sacked the next day although he got his commission for the sale.

Dealer's loss is not necessarily your gain.

I prefer to buy 2-3 years old car, first owner takes huge hit on depreciation. Cars these days are usually build to last at least 5 years, after the fifth or sixth year, lots of wear and tear items to replace. 7th? Sounds scary, too much risks to save a few thousand dollars.

You make it sounds like cars here are all factory surplus stocks (usually applicable to some local made cars). I ever owned car with less than a thousand dollars spent on maintenance cost (servicing, replacement for brake pads, tire, shock-absorbers) over more than 9 years.

↡ Advertisement