Poison in soft drinks?

SimonTan

Quite scary to know that some poison banned in certain countires are allow in other countries.

Aspartame is another poison that is banned in many countires....but allowed in Singapore.

I totally stopped my zero drinks one month ago....now I think clearer and feels more refreshed!

I wonder how many poison are allowed into Singapore. How come it always take Taiwan to warn first before other countires take notice. What can I do without these spot on Taiwan watch dog. respect!!

TAIWAN - A batch of Coca-Cola Zero imported into Taiwan from Shanghai has been found to contain an additive banned by Taiwan authorities but allowed on the Chinese mainland.

One batch of the syrup used to make free-flowing Coca-Cola Zero has tested positive for methyl p-hydroxybenzoate, a kind of antiseptic?which cannot be added to fizzy drinks in Taiwan, the Xinmin Evening News reported on Monday.

According to test results of the health department of Taiwan, each kilogram of syrup in the batch tested contained 2062 milligrams of the banned antiseptic. The batch of this original liquid has been banned from sale in Taiwan. However, the addictive is not banned on the mainland.

Cola-Cola said in a statement that this antiseptic is allowed by the food-related laws in many countries and regions including the USA and Hong Kong.

The banned syrup is used to make Coca-Cola Zero used in drink dispensing machines, such as those used in some fast-food chain stores, and is not used in the bottled or canned beverage.

Zhai Mei, a Coca-Cola Co. official, said the sample tested in Taiwan was concentrated ingredients and it would be diluted before sale. After dilution, the percentage of the antiseptic will be much lower - 0.015 milligram per kilogram, Zhai added.

↡ Advertisement

Some ingredients in shower foams are also banned in Taiwan market.

But, you know how they do it?

Just paste a sticker over the listed ingredients and put Taiwanese date and everything is still the same inside the bottle. [laugh] [laugh] [laugh]

So black hearted manufacturer.....sometimes cannot believe these Chinese food.

I see so many cheap Chinese cookies and crackers in supermarket.....don't know safer not.

I used to feed my kids Berocca vitzminC dissolved fizzy drinks.

Then I realized it contained Aspartame.

Aspartame will harm young kids brain.

Damm angry with myself for not reading the ingredient properly.

Aspartame is not a ingredient per se, so it might not even be listed in many preserved fruits or drinks or food stuff.

This is a very dark world!!

I used to feed my kids Berocca vitzminC dissolved fizzy drinks.

Then I realized it contained Aspartame.

Aspartame will harm young kids brain

Damm angry with myself for not reading the ingredient properly.

Aspartame is not a ingredient per se, so it might not even be listed in many preserved fruits or drinks or food stuff.

This is a very dark world!!

No wonder nowadays kids got no brain........ [laugh][laugh][laugh]

By Chai Hung Yin

Is your shampoo making you fat?

Research emerging from separate centres has pointed to phthalates - a chemical found in some shampoos - as a possible culprit for weight gain.

Phthalates, used as a gelling agent in cosmetic products, could disrupt hormonal balance in humans, the studies said.

And it is this balance of hormones in our bodies which acts as a natural weight-control system, said Dr Paula Baillie-Hamilton, an expert on metabolism and environmental toxins at Stirling University in Scotland.

Dr Bailie-Hamilton was among the first to make the link between the obesity epidemic and the increase of chemicals in our lives, said the latest issue of the American Nutrition Association's newsletter.

She calls chemicals that act as endocrine disruptors "chemical calories".

While diethyl phthalate (DEP) isn't banned here, products which contain two other types of phthalates are not permitted to be sold.

Doctors at Mount Sinai Medical Center in New York have also found that daily exposure to phthalates could result in childhood obesity and weight problems in adults.

Measuring the exposure to phthalates by analysing the urine of 330 girls living in East Harlem, US, they found that "the heaviest girls have the highest levels of phthalates in their urine".

Professor Philip Landrigan, who is also a paediatrician, was quoted in international news reports as saying: "(The phthalates level) goes up as the children get heavier, but it's most evident in the heaviest kids."

In another study done in 2007, researchers found that phthalates contribute to abdominal obesity and insulin resistance - which results in diabetes - in men.

Researchers at the University of Rochester's school of medicine in New York, in their study of 1,451 men, found that those with the highest amount of phthalates in their urine had more belly fat and insulin resistance.

This suggested that phthalates lowered testosterone levels, which caused their weight gain, the report said.

Another substance called Bisphenol A (BPA) could also provide "chemical calories".

BPA is commonly used to make containers and bottles.

Lowers testosterone levels

Studies on animals have consistently shown that BPA reduces testosterone levels and mimics oestrogen.

Both have been linked to weight gain.

So, should you be dumping your shampoos, cosmetics and cleaning detergents?

Not yet, said doctors here whom The New Paper on Sunday spoke to.

They said the studies weren't conclusive and there's no real cause for alarm.

Dr Peter Eng, an endocrinologist at Mount Elizabeth Medical Centre, said: "There's no universal agreement on the exact risk or danger of these chemicals.

"It's unlikely that they are a big contributor to weight gain in general."

The president of the Singapore Association for the Study of Obesity, Dr Lee Chung Horn, said: "They present a tantalising idea, but it mustn't be taken as scientific fact. At least not yet, not on the basis of the evidence cited in the studies."

The most important causes of weight gain are still an excessive diet and insufficient exercise, said Dr Eng.

Dr Lee said environmental research "on the whole (was) not easy to perform, as it is very hard to set up proper controls for rigorously conducted experiments".

He said: "The bugbear in environmental research lies in the fact that numerous possible associative or causative factors come into play, and it is hard to say which factor (among many) is the important one."

In an e-mail reply, the Health Sciences Authority (HSA) here said it hasn't received any reports of weight gain associated with the use of cosmetic products.

Nevertheless, Dr Eng highlighted that endocrine disruptors have been reported to have various possible effects on reproduction, development, puberty and metabolism for many years.

Thus, there is some cause for concern about excessive exposure, especially in pregnant and breast-feeding women, he said.

↡ Advertisement