Volkswagen Sharan..

VellfireS

Yes same with me, no car very inconvenience. And right, 5 years now.

I’m comparing seat Alhambra also, similar spec, looks the same but cheaper. Anyone have experience with this car?

Reliability is a big question mark wor...

↡ Advertisement

care to share which part is of concerned?

well, the most important parts are the engine and the gear...

• Praise 1

Since its going to be a people mover and you going to spend that kind of money. 

If you already looking at Sharan and SEAT, would a Skoda Kodiak 7 seater be something that will interest you at 165K for the 2.0T?

Its seems rather adequately specs. Just that I have not test driven it . But when I was looking at it in the showroom, it does give me a sense of design and well appointed interior of the car "atas" factor.

For an apple to near apple comparison, you have to use the Audi Q7.

well, the most important parts are the engine and the gear...

If you referring to the 2.0T oil consumption, the latest one EA888.2 /.3 seems "fixed". Then again, MPV is not really a huge volume seller, so can't say for sure 100%. 

But there does not seem to be a lot of "cry father cry mother" buyer of MPV with gearbox issue as compared to the dry clutch cousins.

2.0T is rather robust, but as I mention some time back on another thread, probably the way I maintain it at 60,000 km for the gearbox oil change religiously, give or take 2000 to 3000 Km with the occasional NSHW journey for my ownership experience.

But its on a GTi with 380,000km on the car before scrapping. 

Edited by Sdf4786k
  • Praise 1

bro if i am not wrong VW is giving 5 yrs warranty now... time to change hahaha

not just the warranty mah. going down to WS not waste time meh. even if u get a replacement car. 

If u don't stay in condo, u still have to sort out office and home parking issues  [laugh]

• Praise 1

My 1 year 3 months Facelift Sharan have just cross 55,555 Km mark (just this morning), and nothing unusal for the engine and gearbox. The same goes for my previous Superb (4.5 years / 158K Km), which was running on the previous gen EA888 2.0 TSI paired with DQ250 6 speed wet clutch DSG (same setup as the Mark 5/6 Golf GTI, Passat & CC 2.0).

Sad to say that many hearsay and the infamous 7 speed dry clutch DSG issue has cast doubts on the reliability of VW model (I am not defending them in anyway), but for serious buyer, you should have read by now that the combi (EA888 2.0 TSI with DQ250 6 speed wet clutch DSG) is relatively reliable (they have been around on the market - starting from Mark 5 GTi, for >10 years!).

Engine oil issue in the earlier EA888 series, is more of a design issue technically, as the oil level sensor was placed too high in the sump, thus triggering the alarm when the oil level is still relaticely full. My Superb always has the warning light popping up after about 5 - 7 Km, but I just need ~1L of EO when I top it up myself. For evaluation purpose, I choose to ingore the warning light and the car can make it to 15K servicing without have the RED warning light up (which is when EO level falls below 1/3 level or roughly about 2L mark).

As a current Sharan owner, I would say that I am very satisfy with the performance (and even FC), but built quality could have been better. Nothing breakdown so far *touch wood*, but there are some minor issues such as rattling noise coming from the loose door lining, knocking noise upon braking when I reverse my car, and yah, I have 2 centre wheel cap (with the VW logo) dropping off my front rim when I am driving (totally unbelievable - and I have to prove it to the SA that the cap was loose in the first place).

To all intetested buyers, go and check / test out the car, to feel for yourself and see if it suit your need (the 3rd row space and brisk peformance are what sealed the deal for me).

• Praise 6

not just the warranty mah. going down to WS not waste time meh. even if u get a replacement car.

If u don't stay in condo, u still have to sort out office and home parking issues [laugh]

Point! I have driven my fair share of conti cars. Yes, the safety, build and drive is incomparable, Asian makes just cannnot cut it.

But generally conti makes do have their small niggly issues. All these needs time to settle. When I was younger, sure... Now with family, my time is limited. Hence I've decided to get my first Toyota to sample its renowned reliability.

My 1 year 3 months Facelift Sharan have just cross 55,555 Km mark (just this morning), and nothing unusal for the engine and gearbox. The same goes for my previous Superb (4.5 years / 158K Km), which was running on the previous gen EA888 2.0 TSI paired with DQ250 6 speed wet clutch DSG (same setup as the Mark 5/6 Golf GTI, Passat & CC 2.0).

Sad to say that many hearsay and the infamous 7 speed dry clutch DSG issue has cast doubts on the reliability of VW model (I am not defending them in anyway), but for serious buyer, you should have read by now that the combi (EA888 2.0 TSI with DQ250 6 speed wet clutch DSG) is relatively reliable (they have been around on the market - starting from Mark 5 GTi, for >10 years!).

Engine oil issue in the earlier EA888 series, is more of a design issue technically, as the oil level sensor was placed too high in the sump, thus triggering the alarm when the oil level is still relaticely full. My Superb always has the warning light popping up after about 5 - 7 Km, but I just need ~1L of EO when I top it up myself. For evaluation purpose, I choose to ingore the warning light and the car can make it to 15K servicing without have the RED warning light up (which is when EO level falls below 1/3 level or roughly about 2L mark).

As a current Sharan owner, I would say that I am very satisfy with the performance (and even FC), but built quality could have been better. Nothing breakdown so far *touch wood*, but there are some minor issues such as rattling noise coming from the loose door lining, knocking noise upon braking when I reverse my car, and yah, I have 2 centre wheel cap (with the VW logo) dropping off my front rim when I am driving (totally unbelievable - and I have to prove it to the SA that the cap was loose in the first place).

To all intetested buyers, go and check / test out the car, to feel for yourself and see if it suit your need (the 3rd row space and brisk peformance are what sealed the deal for me).

Bro, if it doesn't rattle its not a Veedub!

Hahaha...

Edited by Othello
  • Praise 1

If u don't stay in condo, u still have to sort out office and home parking issues  [laugh]

I supposed cars have not reached a state of evolution like the fridge where mine lasted 17 years without a single problem other than the usual maintenance of clearing the condenser tray of water to restore the cooling function.

• Praise 1

I supposed cars have not reached a state of evolution like the fridge where mine lasted 17 years without a single problem other than the usual maintenance of clearing the condenser tray of water to restore the cooling function.

You should ask @mkl22 about his parents Toyota Wish

Its all about setting one's expectations right.

Edited by Othello

WTF  [laugh]  [:p]  [laugh]

Saw the VW Sharan on the papers yesterday... I posted a thread on my dad wanting to change his Estima quite some time back.. Do you guys think , space and performance wise , the Sharan is better or go for Vellfire/Alphard/Elgrand? The Sharan looks not bad , 200bhp from a 2L TFSI engine is fantastic.. RT cheaper , FC better..

Please input your comments ... I am open to other suggestions as well..

My friends & I bought the VW Sharan back then. Total of 3 cars, were bought together, both of them had visiting the VW service center frequently (ask to refer to Macpherson Branch).  Thinking I am the luckiest one but I was wrong....I ended joining them Hahaha. When the car is new, the fuel consumption is good but later year the fuel consumption is high.  For this I can accept and then later....

1) mu problem

2) gearbox

3) engine

4) fan- coil (air con) 

5) compressor (air con)

Both of my friends sold their cars much earlier then I followed. 

In the servicing center Macpherson, I had a conversion will a Touran owner, that was his 3rd visit to the workshop. His Touran, shutdown while he is still driving, he got to safety by getting to the extreme left lane and using hand brake little by little to stop the car. At the workshop you will see angry customer yelling & shouting to the staffs....

Go for Velfire or Alphard. Have a peace in mind while driving & owning a car.

• Praise 8
  • Dislike 1

My friends & I bought the VW Sharan back then. Total of 3 cars, were bought together, both of them had visiting the VW service center frequently (ask to refer to Macpherson Branch).  Thinking I am the luckiest one but I was wrong....I ended joining them Hahaha. When the car is new, the fuel consumption is good but later year the fuel consumption is high.  For this I can accept and then later....

1) mu problem

2) gearbox

3) engine

4) fan- coil (air con) 

5) compressor (air con)

In the servicing center Macpherson, I had a conversion will a Touran owner, that was his 3rd visit to the workshop. His Touran, shutdown while he is still driving, he got to safety by getting to the extreme left lane and using hand brake little by little to stop the car. At the workshop you will see angry customer yelling & shouting to the staffs....

This is within how many years of ownership?

Twincharged

1) mu problem

2) gearbox

3) engine

4) fan- coil (air con) 

5) compressor (air con)

VW have many known problems. but to be fair, lately the japanese are also not that perfect themselves. you have torque converter problems with Harriers, fuel injector problems with honda vezels on relatively new cars

Edited by Mkl22
  • Praise 3

1) mu problem

2) gearbox

3) engine

4) fan- coil (air con) 

5) compressor (air con)

@hamburger

• Praise 1

Neutral Newbie

Finally heard some people complaining about Sharan. I'm reluctant to bite the bullet coz I think too many people mentioned too many good things and I needed some to balance it [:p]

• Praise 1

@hamburger

No point trying to change others perception.

Happy Sharan owner can joy for themselves for something different..

For me, I have enough of 3 different jap 2.4L mpv  I used to drive.

Edited by Hamburger

I hope VW will announce the all new Sharan soon.  Current model had been around since 2011.

The Sharan is a good mix of space, power and comfort among all the MPVs on sale.  The Odyssey will be more comfortable for the middle row captain seats but the drive and pace with is lacking.  I agree with some of the current Sharan owners that the E888 engine paired with the 6 speed DSG is reliable with ample power.

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 2