Volkswagen Sharan..

VellfireS

Hypersonic

My 1 year 3 months Facelift Sharan have just cross 55,555 Km mark (just this morning), and nothing unusal for the engine and gearbox. The same goes for my previous Superb (4.5 years / 158K Km), which was running on the previous gen EA888 2.0 TSI paired with DQ250 6 speed wet clutch DSG (same setup as the Mark 5/6 Golf GTI, Passat & CC 2.0).

Sad to say that many hearsay and the infamous 7 speed dry clutch DSG issue has cast doubts on the reliability of VW model (I am not defending them in anyway), but for serious buyer, you should have read by now that the combi (EA888 2.0 TSI with DQ250 6 speed wet clutch DSG) is relatively reliable (they have been around on the market - starting from Mark 5 GTi, for >10 years!).

Engine oil issue in the earlier EA888 series, is more of a design issue technically, as the oil level sensor was placed too high in the sump, thus triggering the alarm when the oil level is still relaticely full. My Superb always has the warning light popping up after about 5 - 7 Km, but I just need ~1L of EO when I top it up myself. For evaluation purpose, I choose to ingore the warning light and the car can make it to 15K servicing without have the RED warning light up (which is when EO level falls below 1/3 level or roughly about 2L mark).

As a current Sharan owner, I would say that I am very satisfy with the performance (and even FC), but built quality could have been better. Nothing breakdown so far *touch wood*, but there are some minor issues such as rattling noise coming from the loose door lining, knocking noise upon braking when I reverse my car, and yah, I have 2 centre wheel cap (with the VW logo) dropping off my front rim when I am driving (totally unbelievable - and I have to prove it to the SA that the cap was loose in the first place).

To all intetested buyers, go and check / test out the car, to feel for yourself and see if it suit your need (the 3rd row space and brisk peformance are what sealed the deal for me).

boss... mk5 gti used ea113 engine. ea888 first appeared in mk6 gti.

have you resolved your brake knocking noise upon reverse?

mine was resolved after changing out the worn front brake pads.

↡ Advertisement

Supersonic

My friends & I bought the VW Sharan back then. Total of 3 cars, were bought together, both of them had visiting the VW service center frequently (ask to refer to Macpherson Branch).  Thinking I am the luckiest one but I was wrong....I ended joining them Hahaha. When the car is new, the fuel consumption is good but later year the fuel consumption is high.  For this I can accept and then later....

1) mu problem

2) gearbox

3) engine

4) fan- coil (air con) 

5) compressor (air con)

Both of my friends sold their cars much earlier then I followed. 

In the servicing center Macpherson, I had a conversion will a Touran owner, that was his 3rd visit to the workshop. His Touran, shutdown while he is still driving, he got to safety by getting to the extreme left lane and using hand brake little by little to stop the car. At the workshop you will see angry customer yelling & shouting to the staffs....

Go for Velfire or Alphard. Have a peace in mind while driving & owning a car.

Wah, so serious.

Could be the batch problem since bought together.

Neutral Newbie

I think i am under moderation cannot PM. Lol.

Any list of good to have items to upgrade or add?

• Praise 1

I think i am under moderation cannot PM. Lol.

Any list of good to have items to upgrade or add?

ok I PM you my number instead!

Supersonic

My friends & I bought the VW Sharan back then. Total of 3 cars, were bought together, both of them had visiting the VW service center frequently (ask to refer to Macpherson Branch). Thinking I am the luckiest one but I was wrong....I ended joining them Hahaha. When the car is new, the fuel consumption is good but later year the fuel consumption is high. For this I can accept and then later....

1) mu problem

2) gearbox

3) engine

4) fan- coil (air con)

5) compressor (air con)

Both of my friends sold their cars much earlier then I followed.

In the servicing center Macpherson, I had a conversion will a Touran owner, that was his 3rd visit to the workshop. His Touran, shutdown while he is still driving, he got to safety by getting to the extreme left lane and using hand brake little by little to stop the car. At the workshop you will see angry customer yelling & shouting to the staffs....

Go for Velfire or Alphard. Have a peace in mind while driving & owning a car.

when did you buy and after how long did the problems start to appear?

Hi All,

I am considering to purchase a Sharan and may sign the purchase on Thursday. What freebies can I ask for without getting a pushback?

Thanks for any feedback in advance.

• Praise 2

Neutral Newbie

My 1 year 3 months Facelift Sharan have just cross 55,555 Km mark (just this morning), and nothing unusal for the engine and gearbox. The same goes for my previous Superb (4.5 years / 158K Km), which was running on the previous gen EA888 2.0 TSI paired with DQ250 6 speed wet clutch DSG (same setup as the Mark 5/6 Golf GTI, Passat & CC 2.0).

Sad to say that many hearsay and the infamous 7 speed dry clutch DSG issue has cast doubts on the reliability of VW model (I am not defending them in anyway), but for serious buyer, you should have read by now that the combi (EA888 2.0 TSI with DQ250 6 speed wet clutch DSG) is relatively reliable (they have been around on the market - starting from Mark 5 GTi, for >10 years!).

Engine oil issue in the earlier EA888 series, is more of a design issue technically, as the oil level sensor was placed too high in the sump, thus triggering the alarm when the oil level is still relaticely full. My Superb always has the warning light popping up after about 5 - 7 Km, but I just need ~1L of EO when I top it up myself. For evaluation purpose, I choose to ingore the warning light and the car can make it to 15K servicing without have the RED warning light up (which is when EO level falls below 1/3 level or roughly about 2L mark).

As a current Sharan owner, I would say that I am very satisfy with the performance (and even FC), but built quality could have been better. Nothing breakdown so far *touch wood*, but there are some minor issues such as rattling noise coming from the loose door lining, knocking noise upon braking when I reverse my car, and yah, I have 2 centre wheel cap (with the VW logo) dropping off my front rim when I am driving (totally unbelievable - and I have to prove it to the SA that the cap was loose in the first place).

To all intetested buyers, go and check / test out the car, to feel for yourself and see if it suit your need (the 3rd row space and brisk peformance are what sealed the deal for me).

I had the same rattling sound from loose door linings too! VSC got it fixed within 1 day. My sharan was 1.5yrs only and the left front side door panel came off. I think the catch was loose. They did and check and sort of tighten it back.
  • Praise 1