Volkswagen Sharan..

VellfireS

yup. agreed.. once pricing not spot on and brand does not sway.. tough unless consumer is adventurous [laugh]

The whole world is sort of price sensitive. Not only here in Singapore....

Haha!

↡ Advertisement

As promised, here is my unbiased review of the VW Sharan. As I have driven the Estima Hybrid and the Galaxy Ecoboost for a substantial amount of time, I feel qualified enough to compare my test drive with my experiences with my previous/current rides. Comments will be by category.

Exterior

Overall looks: Design is a bit on the safe side (Estima is sleeker, Galaxy is more muscular looking)

Front design: All-too-common VW face, but daytime running lights beat the other 2 cars.

Rear design: About the same as all large MPVs, with a discreet spoiler adding a sporty touch.

Size: About the same length, but wider than the other 2 at 1.9m.

Wheels: 17" design is smallish - 18" will look just nice.

Doors: Sliding doors useful but rails on the side are ugly (Estima's are discreet under the window while Galaxy has no sliding doors)

Interior

Dashboard: Well-equipped ICE system with navigation and built-in reverse cam; various functions better than the other 2 cars.

Steering: Multi-function with reach and rake, but cannot extend too far. Limited range.

Pedals: Layout of pedals is near ideal, with accelerator pedal hinged on the floor.

Front seats: Multiple direction electrical operation for both front seats, with excellent lumbar support adjustment. Pity cannot tilt headrests.

2nd row seats: Easy to slide outermost seats as they pivot further to give better access to 3rd row. Middle seat easy to tug & fold.

3rd row seats: Easy folding with minimal effort as compared to the other 2 cars.

Seats overall: Quite comfortable, deep & wide enough, factory-fitted leather, easy to extend headrests

Legroom: I am nearly 1.8m tall, and I fit comfortably in every row. 'Nuff said.

Aircon: Nice to see Estima-like roof aircon vents for 2nd, 3rd row that are sufficiently powerful. Galaxy's is abysmal in this area.

Boot space: As large as Estima's and decent for an MPV. Pity no spare tyre, only repair kit.

Storage space: Lots of space, even in 3rd row recess area but not very spacious. Smallish sunglasses holder. Galaxy is best in this area.

Misc: pull-up blinds for 2nd row - strangely none for 3rd row. Moonroof - didn't try.

Ride & Handling Description

Body control is excellent for a large MPV, with minimal roll helped by the wide track. Independent suspension works quite well to absorb bumps and to resist too much roll. Did not try out squat and dive under braking though. Brakes are a bit grabby but will be easy to get used to. Steering is speed-sensitive but feels really light and not very direct feeling; lighter than Estima but less steering feel than Galaxy. Engine is powerful, but noisy under even moderate throttle - leaves questions about the noise insulation. Power delivery is smooth, and so is the gearbox. Gears are indicated even in auto mode, and there are paddles to play with (didn't try though). Electronic parking brake and auto-hold function should work well when you're used to it.

For driving enthusiasts, the Galaxy is still the best to drive among the 3 cars with the most responsive and accurate handling, but the Sharan comes close with a very settled feeling. Galaxy feels more like a wagon/estate while the other 2 feel larger (like the MPVs they are). But the Sharan is slightly easier to manoeuvre than the Estima due to a better suspension setup.

Key convenience features

1. Powered sliding doors can be activated by pulling handle inside & outside, button on B-pillar, on dash console or on remote.

2. Powered tailgate (similar to Touareg) is very useful but don't stand too near (as the tailgate is quite long).

3. Reverse camera built into navigation system has a basic parking assist with the lines superimposed on the image.

4. Seats really fold very easily and fold flat too.

5. Front seats have a lot of adjustment features.

6. Keyless entry and push-button start-stop.

Overall take

If I had not bought my Galaxy, I would be won over by this car, with only a $15k difference to make up for a multitude of convenience features such as powered sliding doors and tailgate, higher specifications, more comfort, daytime running lights. I was won over by the experience today. My only quibbles are that the steering feels too light, and the engine sounds a bit unrefined/noisy.

Other than these minor points, it is an excellent car to transport 7 full-sized people (up to 6 ft tall) in comfort and with good speed and handling. If I had to choose any large MPV in this price range, I would choose the Sharan hands-down. If anyone is keen, better take it up soon. First 40 units have the optional extras as standard and price is 188k with launch discount (otherwise 194k I think). I'll have to wait 5 years before I can change car!!!

Edited by Grix17
  • Praise 1

I have no qualms about buying a Skoda Superb over similar cars in the price range.

It's a pity that the dealers are not trying hard enough, especially if around the world the brands are not popular too (like Skoda).

Magazine writers/reviewers and driving enthusiasts are mostly brand-neutral (maybe not country-neutral) - but buyers surely aren't.

They won't be swayed by an excellent review of a lesser-known car.

Hey bro , Are you driving the Galaxy?

Hey bro , Are you driving the Galaxy?

Yup, and enjoying it.

Handling is better than many sedans, steering is very accurate, and engine is superb.

My only peeve is that the gearbox is a bit erratic and throttle response not as good as VW DSG + 2L turbo.

Actually, since it seems a lot of people have concerns about waiting time and appointment with only 1 VW service center here, why don't go to other workshop? Forgo the warranty? Personally I would, although I don't like any VW at all, ever since they ramped up their presence and pushed out a lot of 1.4 twin-charged DSG cars;

side thought: why don't they bring in Golf (normal 1.4 TSI), Polo, in humble simple 5 speed manual? it would be nice, but surely market too small for that, logistic and planning not worth it,

But i am only thinking that because 5MT is 'universal' foolproof, rather than relying on authorised svc center;

Personally my thinking is, I don't care warning lights/message, as long as the car runs everyday working condition, I would choose to bring even Merc BMW to any uncle workshop in those Ubi, Eunos etc area, or JB workshop also can, as long as the car runs

Kenny

side thought: why don't they bring in Golf (normal 1.4 TSI), Polo, in humble simple 5 speed manual? it would be nice, but surely market too small for that, logistic and planning not worth it,

But i am only thinking that because 5MT is 'universal' foolproof, rather than relying on authorised svc center;

MT cars are just losing out of steam..or rather already bo steam lio...

Edited by Cluboxed

Yup, and enjoying it.

Handling is better than many sedans, steering is very accurate, and engine is superb.

My only peeve is that the gearbox is a bit erratic and throttle response not as good as VW DSG + 2L turbo.

Hmmmm.. Noted bro.. With thanks.. [laugh]

Will be heading down to Leng Kee soon..

Tio bo? A Mercedes R class easily costs $290K. You called that stretch budget, it is around $100K different, your pocket must be very deep & elastic.

I wonder what car you are driving now? I hope it not a Korean 1.6L.

what a superficial question and sry not korean made 2 cars 1 made in japan 1 made in germany

Twincharged

My brother-in-law 6 months old Sharan,now 7800km,need to top up 1 litre of engine oil,half litre of coolant,is it normal.???

Twincharged

Obviously something very wrong for a new car. Better come back agent n check.

Agent the most help you top up coolant & oil,will not look 'deep' into it....anyway V.W. service cte sucks.!

Twincharged

Today my Brother-in-law's Sharan got a flat battery,just 8 months old,mileage 8600km,lousy car,24 hrs road side service came,change battery.....

Alphard is a huge car with more space than Sharan.

I see the DSG Dual Gear Box is the major benefit while other aspects Alphard seems to be dominating like the interior. Driving is an Alphard is definately a pleasure. My pick is the Alphard.

Alphard is a huge car with more space than Sharan.

I see the DSG Dual Gear Box is the major benefit while other aspects Alphard seems to be dominating like the interior. Driving is an Alphard is definately a pleasure. My pick is the Alphard.

But Alpard not carpark friendly. Need minimum 2m height limit carpark ..

↡ Advertisement