Car Second Battery

S7rik3R

Mine came with 2 factory installed batteries [:)]

One at the rear and the other in the cabin, I guess it's to keep them cool. :o

Mitsubishi EvolutionX ?

↡ Advertisement

So installing the second car battery will it damage the wiring ? Cause I google and only manage to find SINGTECH has them only in local?

Thanks ~

You have to be careful with the wirings.

If you want to install a 2nd battery, it means running another wire (thick enough) from the alternator to this battery via a isolator or a power diode.

Then all those electrical devices that you want (like camera) will be wired to this battery via a suitable fuse box and fuses.

If the 2nd battery go flat, it will not affect your starting battery, provided the starting battery is also protected with a isolator or power diode.

Car battery is actually built for starting engine only.

It is able to provide high current in a short period of time.

But it is not good in providing low/medium current for long periods of time. You need a deep discharge battery for this.

You have to be careful with the wirings.

If you want to install a 2nd battery, it means running another wire (thick enough) from the alternator to this battery via a isolator or a power diode.

Then all those electrical devices that you want (like camera) will be wired to this battery via a suitable fuse box and fuses.

If the 2nd battery go flat, it will not affect your starting battery, provided the starting battery is also protected with a isolator or power diode.

Car battery is actually built for starting engine only.

It is able to provide high current in a short period of time.

But it is not good in providing low/medium current for long periods of time. You need a deep discharge battery for this.

Wow ... then needs to find a shop that is Expert in this ... Don't wish to go back with only the "Steering Wheel" [:(]

If you're going to use all those cameras, alarms, anti-shock sensors, etc..etc..when your engine is switched off, you're going to kill your starting battery in a very short time.

A good idea is to put a 2nd deep discharge battery to power all those.

And as mentioned, you need a isolator so that the alternator can charge both batteries separately and they stay electrically apart.

Isolators can also be power diodes which allows current to flow one way but not the other.

That would also mean wiring separate circuits for those energy suckers when your engine is switched off.

Can ask if you know of any workshop that is knowledgable is this set up and provide the service?

I am looking to install a 2nd (rear facing) cam and would like to have both cams wired to a secondary battery with option for cut off or continue recording when parked.

Thanks in advance

Supercharged

reviving this thread.
i also looking at a secondary battery to power my in car cam. and mine being a weekend car, need a secondary battery to last at least 5 days.

Any OPC/ROPC brudders here got similar set up?
or any good secondary battery installer to recommend so can go down to enquire more?

reviving this thread.

i also looking at a secondary battery to power my in car cam. and mine being a weekend car, need a secondary battery to last at least 5 days.

or any good secondary battery installer to recommend so can go down to enquire more?

You need very large battery to last 5 days. Then you need to think of the recharging process, which would take quite some time too. So you need to consider a third set of batteries to stand in while second set is being charged.

• Praise 1

Twincharged

You need very large battery to last 5 days. Then you need to think of the recharging process, which would take quite some time too. So you need to consider a third set of batteries to stand in while second set is being charged.

Haha I find it rather ridiculous in the end. You need a back up to the main and then a back up to the back up. Maybe a 4th to back up all. Haha.
  • Praise 2

My brother used to do that. He bought 8 sets of 7ah sealed lead acid battery from Sim Lim Tower. 4 sets of batteries made into one set of battery that will last 4 days for a one channel in-car camera.

The other 4 sets of batteries made into the other set of batteries.

Then every 4 days, replace the batteries and recharge the depleted set. He even tried solar power to reduce his electricity bill. After a few months, he gave up.

Twincharged

My brother used to do that. He bought 8 sets of 7ah sealed lead acid battery from Sim Lim Tower. 4 sets of batteries made into one set of battery that will last 4 days for a one channel in-car camera.

The other 4 sets of batteries made into the other set of batteries.

Then every 4 days, replace the batteries and recharge the depleted set. He even tried solar power to reduce his electricity bill. After a few months, he gave up.ð

And then if one day one of the 8 will leak and make a mess. Unless He parks in the shade 100% of the time. Subjecting these sealed lead acids to high temps in the car while parked in the sun can roast them. Edited by Mkl22

reviving this thread.

Wah, so long never see you post.

What car you driving anyway?

And then if one day one of the 8 will leak and make a mess. Unless He parks in the shade 100% of the time. Subjecting these sealed lead acids to high temps in the car while parked in the sun can roast them.

Never leaked. He bought toyogo box to contain them as a set with voltmeter and ammeter. Also wired them up with cig plug, so its just plug and play when swooping or charging. Easy peasy. So if leak, also its contained within the box.

↡ Advertisement