Lui Tuck Yew rebuts some MCF suggestions on car population

CKP

To encourage use of MRT, they can also offer incentives like discount for multiple trips within the month or week... more park & ride perks etc etc.

wait long long.

bus maybe can.

MRT no.

even concession pass holders AND the adult season pass, only allow 4 train rides per day.

and unlimited bus rides

↡ Advertisement

I also have itchy fingers like everyone else.

Pls...if I loaded I won't drive a Honda Stream...

Loaded ones are the table wiper, the businessman less than baddest, cigarette viceroy with menthol, the undertaker...

The only thing sounds rich is my nick [laugh]

you rich lah, i cannot even afford a honda stream [laugh]

Making public transport free would certainly provide a really good incentive to switch!

When that day comes, pigs will fly.

Public transport here are publicly listed companies.

They are here to MAKE MONEY FIRST.

When that day comes, pigs will fly.

Public transport here are publicly listed companies.

They are here to MAKE MONEY FIRST.

Seriously it's time to relook the profit motive of our public transport, to do something a little more creative and really try to encourage people to take.

Although I must admit - I pay $1.6X to come to work by MRT - is cheaper than I remember (I tot last time $2.XX) - the problem comes in when you have a whole family travelling together it starts to get "expensive" (at least comparatively speaking for the experience you have)

I have always felt that a portion of what is collected via "car taxes" should subsidise public transport. I would be willing to bet that enough is collected via ERP and COE to give everyone free rides - so why not, then everyone happy. Less cars on road so drivers don't mind paying, and if can save money I squeeze squeeze a bit for MRT.

Of course, given the current crowded MRT you have to wonder if gubermint really want to increase ridership or not.

Turbocharged

Seriously it's time to relook the profit motive of our public transport, to do something a little more creative and really try to encourage people to take.

Although I must admit - I pay $1.6X to come to work by MRT - is cheaper than I remember (I tot last time $2.XX) - the problem comes in when you have a whole family travelling together it starts to get "expensive" (at least comparatively speaking for the experience you have)

I have always felt that a portion of what is collected via "car taxes" should subsidise public transport. I would be willing to bet that enough is collected via ERP and COE to give everyone free rides - so why not, then everyone happy. Less cars on road so drivers don't mind paying, and if can save money I squeeze squeeze a bit for MRT.

Of course, given the current crowded MRT you have to wonder if gubermint really want to increase ridership or not.

With a new line just coming on the line and another two under construction, you can be sure that they will be looking at ways to maintain ridership level.. and what other method is better than 'forcing' borderline car users to give up their cars and revert back to MRT?

With a new line just coming on the line and another two under construction, you can be sure that they will be looking at ways to maintain ridership level.. and what other method is better than 'forcing' borderline car users to give up their cars and revert back to MRT?

Didn't they want "borderline" case to use OPC ?

Park and pay.

Or maybe they get confused now, where are the revenue generators ?

Didn't they want "borderline" case to use OPC ?

Park and pay.

Or maybe they get confused now, where are the revenue generators ?

they can take back the money from your "forgotten" to buy OPC coupons

Also for (1):-

Nowadays, on a typical 3 lane expressways we see slow trucks/vans sometimes even trailers occupying lane2 hence making lane2 effectively a slow lane, traffic on lane 1 quite often is also slow moving due to hoggers. Lane 3 is forever slow. Result: all three lanes on expressway are non-express!!!

Solution: simple, TP should release their enforcement team from morning/afternoon naps (usually nap starts 7am till 10pm) to patrol and enforce existing rules to make slow veh stay within lane 3, keep lane 1 for overtaking and fast moving veh, lane 2 for veh which travel near speed limit. Lanes 1 and 2 are reserved for fast moving traffic especially during peak hours.

The key problem is lack of enforcement to make efficient use of road space:- fast cars lane 1 or 2, slow traffic: strictly lane 3.

Millions of dollars are invested in the construction of expressways, but due to the lack of enforcement, the expressways are underutilised, in fact clogged by slow moving traffic even on the lanes intended for fast traffic. The napping TPs are one of the key culprits!!

Sorry for my Solution 1 = Max speed = 90km/h means every vehicle on that stretch of road must drive at that speed. Cannot 70km/h on lane 2 or 3.

Lane 1 due to the exits and Goods Vehicles must travell there only.

they can take back the money from your "forgotten" to buy OPC coupons

LOL, so OPC scheme is to 'catch' forgetful driver.... :D

btw, why not EPC and OdPC also, one for even-days, the other for odd-days? otherwise under current normal plate scheme, some people although only need to use their car on even days, but since they pay for full usage (ie normal plate) they will just make trips everyday to fully utilise what they have paid, therefore adding to traffic congestion unnecessarily. If these people are allowed to use either EPC or OdPC, they will only drive when necessary. [:)]

Edited by KARTer

Bro Shull, to be honest i will take the mrt to certain places like Holland V & Orchard because parking is a problem.

But if u say go Toa Payoh, AMK etc.... then different story already :D

Finally, i don't know why they have stations like Caldecott, who will go there?

LOL, so OPC scheme is to 'catch' forgetful driver.... :D

btw, why not EPC and OdPC also, one for even-days, the other for odd-days? otherwise under current normal plate scheme, some people although only need to use their car on even days, but since they pay for full usage (ie normal plate) they will just make trips everyday to fully utilise what they have paid, therefore adding to traffic congestion unnecessarily. If these people are allowed to use either EPC or OdPC, they will only drive when necessary. [:)]

lol.

then the rich will buy both cars. then everyday also can drive.

back to sq 1

lol.

then the rich will buy both cars. then everyday also can drive.

back to sq 1

you're quite right: those who can afford it will buy say 1 lamborg for EPC, 1 ferraris for OdPC. But the point is, he can only use one at a time, and becoz of this, as far as his 'contribution' to road congestion is concerned, on any one day, he only use ONE car to cause traffic jam, same as if he owns only ONE full time normal plate car.

he gets to enjoy 2 cars but does not cause traffic congestion any more than those who owns 1 normal plate car. :D

you're quite right: those who can afford it will buy say 1 lamborg for EPC, 1 ferraris for OdPC. But the point is, he can only use one at a time, and becoz of this, as far as his 'contribution' to road congestion is concerned, on any one day, he only use ONE car to cause traffic jam, same as if he owns only ONE full time normal plate car.

he gets to enjoy 2 cars but does not cause traffic congestion any more than those who owns 1 normal plate car. :D

then he can still afford to buy another 2 cars for his wife.

so both can drive.

money is nothing to them after all

then he can still afford to buy another 2 cars for his wife.

so both can drive.

money is nothing to them after all

LOL.... ya, ya... and maybe a mpv for the maid to go grocery shopping :D

come to think of it, wonder what will really satisfy the rich after they own say their 3rd ferraris? (they already got million-dollar yacht)... a tank? :D

LOL.... ya, ya... and maybe a mpv for the maid to go grocery shopping :D

come to think of it, wonder what will really satisfy the rich after they own say their 3rd ferraris? (they already got million-dollar yacht)... a tank? :D

private jet and helicopter

private jet and helicopter

but sgp very small, where car they go in these toys?.... fly one around and then land on Seletar airport where they took off? :o

maybe the Apache gunship should be fun, they can launch missles, just press the button :D

↡ Advertisement