Continental or Bridgestone, Please advise

Civic2000

Then why do you have the thinking that changing tyres 40k is abnormal in the 1st place?

Anyway, IMHO having more grip is never an overkill unless you are driving on jammed roads all the time like in Indonesia.

Something must be really wrong to have a 2 litre engine to get such a poor FC, considering the Power to weight ratio and dynamics are pretty normal for a 2 litre car.

Even when I drive a 3.5 litre car in australia, I'm getting 11km/l consistently.

Yap, I am using lousy tires as the car dont require me to have good ones.

It will be overkill....

It is consider quite normal for RN3 to have around 8.5km/l.

I have a heavy foot and 90% of my time is in city driving...

I ever hit 10km/l - 80% Expressway, 20% City.

Last time when I was driving a FIT, going up KL, I need around 50 litres of fuel.

When I was drving a V-Tec, I used around 30 litres of fuel only.

Fit is known to be a city curiser while V-Tec works well in high revs.

Definitely CSC5. Beats RE001/002 hands down. Definitely better than CSC3.

Bridgestone is less comfortable. Unless you are very particularly about steering feel.

Usually Bridgestones give the best steering feel.

Finally I see a supporter of continental tyres that gives more info rather than just stating Conti is better without stating why.

Definitely CSC5. Beats RE001/002 hands down. Definitely better than CSC3.

Bridgestone is less comfortable. Unless you are very particularly about steering feel.

Usually Bridgestones give the best steering feel.

Then why do you have the thinking that changing tyres 40k is abnormal in the 1st place?

Anyway, IMHO having more grip is never an overkill unless you are driving on jammed roads all the time like in Indonesia.

Something must be really wrong to have a 2 litre engine to get such a poor FC, considering the Power to weight ratio and dynamics are pretty normal for a 2 litre car.

Even when I drive a 3.5 litre car in australia, I'm getting 11km/l consistently.

FC can be improve if that I were to convert to stock set up.

195 to 215 = 80mm increased in overall contacts.

Secondly, alignment is set up with a "greater toe than normal" + more negative camber = higher straightline resistance = better in corners.

Thirdly, I travel 90% in CITY and if that I were to travel 50%/50%, my FC will be around 10km/l.

Having too much grip in a MPV will be a "overkill" as I will lose control due to high CG before maximum speed which the tires can handle.

Ok, now I can understand why only your FC is poorer than normal (and not all streams), but I don't agree on your point that having too much grip can

lead to losing control.

May I know do you have the literature on this as I don't seem to find any literature that reinforces what you said.

FC can be improve if that I were to convert to stock set up.

195 to 215 = 80mm increased in overall contacts.

Secondly, alignment is set up with a "greater toe than normal" + more negative camber = higher straightline resistance = better in corners.

Thirdly, I travel 90% in CITY and if that I were to travel 50%/50%, my FC will be around 10km/l.

Having too much grip in a MPV will be a "overkill" as I will lose control due to high CG before maximum speed which the tires can handle.

Finally I see a supporter of continental tyres that gives more info rather than just stating Conti is better without stating why.

Thank you for the compliment.

I am very particular about tyres, more especially when the ride is more expensive. I read a lot of tyre reviews.

In my experience, Continental has a balanced and well-rounded feel with strong braking and good aquaplaning resistance and wet handling. I drove on CSC3s for about 2 years on my last ride. Pity it wore out a bit more in the centre because I overinflated the tyres for better FC. It was quite expensive for 18", about $400+ per tyre.

My experience driving a Wish years ago on Bridgestone GR80 gave very good steering feel, which has always been a strong point for Bridgestones. My current ride with option 18" wheels comes with Bridgestone RE050A which complements the handling of the car greatly with very accurate steering and excellent steering feel. But it is a ultra-performance tyre with less comfort, so I will be looking elsewhere in future.

I am keen on CSC5, but it depends on the price.

It will be a hard fight between CSC5 and Goodyear F1 Asym 2.

But for my size 235/45R18, there aren't other good alternatives.

Edited by Grix17

My current set of Bridgestone RE001 (205/50/R17) has been used for 3 years and it's high time for me to replace them soonest possible. I have checked with 2 tire shops and below are what they have quoted:

Shop A - CSC 5 (215/45/R17) - $230 per pc nett. (Inclusive of GST, installation, balancing, FOC tyre repairs & unlimited rotations every 10,000k with purchase of 4 tyres).

Shop B - Bridgestone RE001 (205/50/R17) $220 per pc nett (Inclusive of GST, installation, balancing). This shop does not have CSC 5 but quoted me CSC 3 (215/45/R17) @ $265 per pc (High price as this model is NOT ON OFFER).

The price of CSC 5 and RE001 quoted by these two tire shops are quite competitive. Which one is the better deal? Your feedback is much appreciated.

hey bro.. can share the contacts of the tires shops?

thanx alot!

Ok, now I can understand why only your FC is poorer than normal (and not all streams), but I don't agree on your point that having too much grip can

lead to losing control.

May I know do you have the literature on this as I don't seem to find any literature that reinforces what you said.

I dont think I did claim that too much grip to lose control.

I only mentioned that too much grip is a wastage.

I guess I have to write a book on my thoughts then...

1) Toe:-

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tiretech/techpage.jsp?techid=4

Toe out more = more drag = better handling for corners for FR cars.

2) Increased in weight:

post-61679-1319512917_thumb.png

1) + 2) =

3) Increased in Rolling Resistance:-

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tiretech/tec...e.jsp?techid=29

+ Average joe will know that increase in width of the tire = more drag = higher F/C.

Neutral Newbie

Hey bros, pardon me for changing tires branding here. One workshop recommended me Goodyear directional 5. He says it's v good & quieter compared to my s drive. Anyone tried this tires yet? Btw, it's MIT.I'm alittle reluctant.

Thanks!

Looks like we have a misunderstanding.

I quote what you wrote that lead to my conclusion and question.

When I said literature means, to list the literature that says you'll lost control due to high CG, and not the other stuffs which I already know.

I dont think I did claim that too much grip to lose control.

I only mentioned that too much grip is a wastage.

I guess I have to write a book on my thoughts then...

1) Toe:-

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tiretech/techpage.jsp?techid=4

Toe out more = more drag = better handling for corners for FR cars.

2) Increased in weight:

1) + 2) =

3) Increased in Rolling Resistance:-

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tiretech/tec...e.jsp?techid=29

+ Average joe will know that increase in width of the tire = more drag = higher F/C.

Hey bros, pardon me for changing tires branding here. One workshop recommended me Goodyear directional 5. He says it's v good & quieter compared to my s drive. Anyone tried this tires yet? Btw, it's MIT.I'm alittle reluctant.

Thanks!

doesnt mean MIT will be lower grade..

My tyre still Michelin Vivacy/MIT..

Had already change twice,same products all the while..

Quiet+comfort.. :D

Thanks!

GSD5 is an upgrade of the F1 Eagle GSD3.

Cheaper than F1 A2 and made in Asia.

1 rung below F1 A2 in terms of performance and prestige.

Should be worth the money but range of sizes suits more 17" and below.

be careful when you go and toe and camber your wheels too much. mfgs align the wheels a certain way suited for road driving. if you go to those alignment shops and tell them to give you the "racing" toe/camber you are going to firstly wear your tyre out unevenly and secondly end up with very dangerous driving situations on our wet road with reduced contact during straights or easy turns. cornering my ass... how fast you want to make a turn? please read gambas ave accident on another thread

please stick to mfg wheel alignments.

as for wheels... csc3 has poor wear rate. usually 1-1.5 years botak. never tried csc5. but conti is a good tyre.

i had gr90 on my ex ride. also very decent. good wear rate (can tahan longer), progressive, grippy not so much (csc3 better), steering feel is good.

gy assym1 is decent but gets noisy quickly. wears also pretty quickly. i would say on par with csc3 or slighly weaker in terms of handling.

if you have the budget try michelin pilot sport 3. damn good tire. damn expensive also.

Edited by Detach8

It's good to see that there are pple who are particular about tyres as this is the part that most pple take for granted. I experienced insufficient grip with lousy tyres many times for my 1st car during emergency braking(fortunately nothing happens). Thereafter I switched on to moderate tyres, before going on to one of the best street tyres of its time (BS S02). It was then that I realised that grippy tyres makes a lot of difference as compared to "normal" tyres, and I never turned back. Unless one goes tracking or drive on the limit on the street roads, changes to suspension is not required once you put on the top of the range tyres.

As I went through many tyre changes in the last 12 years, other than the usual treadwear, speed/load ratings, price other characteristics that I would take into consideration during tyre selection includes, weight of tyre, stiffness of sidewall, softness of tyre compound, steering response, progressiveness, wet/dry performance etc. And this has helped me to narrow down quickly on which tyres to select as there are so many tyres out in the market which I guess would confuse most consumers, who would probably go with the recommendations of friends or the tyre fitter.

Thank you for the compliment.

I am very particular about tyres, more especially when the ride is more expensive. I read a lot of tyre reviews.

In my experience, Continental has a balanced and well-rounded feel with strong braking and good aquaplaning resistance and wet handling. I drove on CSC3s for about 2 years on my last ride. Pity it wore out a bit more in the centre because I overinflated the tyres for better FC. It was quite expensive for 18", about $400+ per tyre.

My experience driving a Wish years ago on Bridgestone GR80 gave very good steering feel, which has always been a strong point for Bridgestones. My current ride with option 18" wheels comes with Bridgestone RE050A which complements the handling of the car greatly with very accurate steering and excellent steering feel. But it is a ultra-performance tyre with less comfort, so I will be looking elsewhere in future.

I am keen on CSC5, but it depends on the price.

It will be a hard fight between CSC5 and Goodyear F1 Asym 2.

But for my size 235/45R18, there aren't other good alternatives.

Neutral Newbie

doesnt mean MIT will be lower grade..

My tyre still Michelin Vivacy/MIT..

Had already change twice,same products all the while..

Quiet+comfort.. :D

Thanks! As I have been told to avoid MIT tires. :)

↡ Advertisement