Continental or Bridgestone, Please advise

Civic2000

Hi guys,

I also in dilemna between my choice of tyres. I was pretty set on PS3 till I saw the review on GY Assy 2. It is among the top 1 and 2 and has the shortest braking distance in both wet and dry.

Got the info from tyrereview.co.uk

I was choosing between PS3, S001 till I came across CSC5 and Assy 2.

Alamak... :wacko::wacko:

Previously I was on AD07 and afterwards RE001 and currently on CSC3.

In terms of wet, I find CSC3 better.

In terms of road handling, RE001

in terms of braking, RE001

To my current need, I drive my family around abt 80% of the time so I guess comfort and quiet is needed. When I'm alone, tts where I drive hard.

My budget is abt $275/pc for 18in.

What are your inputs?

Thanks alot...

I agree that Goodyears have better lateral grip than most. My problem with my last set of Assy was that it was not progressive at all. It holds traction quite well, but when it gives up, you will basically "fly." I feel that Bridgestones and Michellins are much more progressive.

My current set of Bridgestone RE001 (205/50/R17) has been used for 3 years and it's high time for me to replace them soonest possible. I have checked with 2 tire shops and below are what they have quoted:

Shop A - CSC 5 (215/45/R17) - $230 per pc nett. (Inclusive of GST, installation, balancing, FOC tyre repairs & unlimited rotations every 10,000k with purchase of 4 tyres).

Shop B - Bridgestone RE001 (205/50/R17) $220 per pc nett (Inclusive of GST, installation, balancing). This shop does not have CSC 5 but quoted me CSC 3 (215/45/R17) @ $265 per pc (High price as this model is NOT ON OFFER).

The price of CSC 5 and RE001 quoted by these two tire shops are quite competitive. Which one is the better deal? Your feedback is much appreciated.

all being equal go for CSC5. reason?? lighter in weight

Hi guys,

I also in dilemna between my choice of tyres. I was pretty set on PS3 till I saw the review on GY Assy 2. It is among the top 1 and 2 and has the shortest braking distance in both wet and dry.

Got the info from tyrereview.co.uk

I was choosing between PS3, S001 till I came across CSC5 and Assy 2.

Alamak... :wacko::wacko:

Previously I was on AD07 and afterwards RE001 and currently on CSC3.

In terms of wet, I find CSC3 better.

In terms of road handling, RE001

in terms of braking, RE001

To my current need, I drive my family around abt 80% of the time so I guess comfort and quiet is needed. When I'm alone, tts where I drive hard.

My budget is abt $275/pc for 18in.

What are your inputs?

Thanks alot...

$275 will be quite a good price for an 18".

My friend was quoted $360 for 245/40R18 for ASY2 and I thought that was reasonable.

There is already a RE002 which is supposedly better than RE001. There is also a CSC5 now.

I have been on PS3 (17") and I find it very good in wet, quiet and quite lasting in terms of wear rate compared to my previous F1 Eagle RS2.

Even when worn down to the wear-indicator, I could still get quite good traction and the slipping is progressive.

I would recommend PS3 over Eagles as there were reports of sidewall cracking for the older models.

For the tyre reviews, they use different sizes each time so results can be inconsistent.

If driven at our local traffic, think all not much difference.

Neutral Newbie

$275 will be quite a good price for an 18".

My friend was quoted $360 for 245/40R18 for ASY2 and I thought that was reasonable.

There is already a RE002 which is supposedly better than RE001. There is also a CSC5 now.

I have been on PS3 (17") and I find it very good in wet, quiet and quite lasting in terms of wear rate compared to my previous F1 Eagle RS2.

Even when worn down to the wear-indicator, I could still get quite good traction and the slipping is progressive.

I would recommend PS3 over Eagles as there were reports of sidewall cracking for the older models.

For the tyre reviews, they use different sizes each time so results can be inconsistent.

If driven at our local traffic, think all not much difference.

Thanks for the input guys.

After goin tru 5 pages of the tyres and rims pages, as of now, I somehow narrow it down to PS3 and CSC 5.

S001, without a shadow of doubt, is good. both the handling and road noise will be there.

Having gone from RE001 to CSC3, I'm quite a sucker for the lightweight tyres now. All bcos it will contribute to fuel savings but it also means longer braking distance, cos it has lesser rolling resistance. For those that are interested to know...

Tts why I am quite inclined to PS3 though the common feedback I heard is softer sidewall.

I do find my hard driving tapering down, not as frequent on my CSC3 as compared to when I was on RE001. But when I'm on N-S, my "horns" are out... [:p]

As for Assy 2, I somehow got the feeling that it will get noisy quite early due to the tyre pattern. One of the bros here posted that the shop owner commented tt the Assy 2 and PS3 tyre thread pattern are similar.

I did a comparison. Yes, they are similar.

1. Assy 2 has 4 ribs(grooves) and PS3 and 3. Assy 3 is better in wet. I was at one of the tyre shop and I remembered tt the shop guy was making a comparison and it was the same scenario and he commented tt the one with more ribs will be better in the wet. Tts how I came to tt conclusion.

2. Assy 2 has lesser little strokes(pattern) in between the main threads as compared to PS3. A cleaner look... I relate that to more contact on the ground, thus the earlier road noise. Then again, that could also mean better handling since more contact on ground?

3. the ribs for Assy2 are more of less equally spaced whereas PS3 is offset to the inner side. I am wondering if this means that the cornering/handling of PS3 will be better since it is a wider block, thus less flexing/ more contact. Any comments?

I think I am going too technical liao. :D :D

At the end of the day, I think there is no right or wrong tyres. What matters most is one gotta determine the kind of driving style one has cos safety is paramount. If it is just normal daily driving, get one with good wet characteristics due to our weather here.

Once priorities are listed, that should help narrowing down the selection.

Cheers...

Hi

can i assume that the general concensus is that between the GR90 and CSC5, the latter gives a more comfortable and quieter ride?

Thanks for the input guys.

After goin tru 5 pages of the tyres and rims pages, as of now, I somehow narrow it down to PS3 and CSC 5.

S001, without a shadow of doubt, is good. both the handling and road noise will be there.

Having gone from RE001 to CSC3, I'm quite a sucker for the lightweight tyres now. All bcos it will contribute to fuel savings but it also means longer braking distance, cos it has lesser rolling resistance. For those that are interested to know...

Tts why I am quite inclined to PS3 though the common feedback I heard is softer sidewall.

I do find my hard driving tapering down, not as frequent on my CSC3 as compared to when I was on RE001. But when I'm on N-S, my "horns" are out... [:p]

As for Assy 2, I somehow got the feeling that it will get noisy quite early due to the tyre pattern. One of the bros here posted that the shop owner commented tt the Assy 2 and PS3 tyre thread pattern are similar.

I did a comparison. Yes, they are similar.

1. Assy 2 has 4 ribs(grooves) and PS3 and 3. Assy 3 is better in wet. I was at one of the tyre shop and I remembered tt the shop guy was making a comparison and it was the same scenario and he commented tt the one with more ribs will be better in the wet. Tts how I came to tt conclusion.

2. Assy 2 has lesser little strokes(pattern) in between the main threads as compared to PS3. A cleaner look... I relate that to more contact on the ground, thus the earlier road noise. Then again, that could also mean better handling since more contact on ground?

3. the ribs for Assy2 are more of less equally spaced whereas PS3 is offset to the inner side. I am wondering if this means that the cornering/handling of PS3 will be better since it is a wider block, thus less flexing/ more contact. Any comments?

I think I am going too technical liao. :D :D

At the end of the day, I think there is no right or wrong tyres. What matters most is one gotta determine the kind of driving style one has cos safety is paramount. If it is just normal daily driving, get one with good wet characteristics due to our weather here.

Once priorities are listed, that should help narrowing down the selection.

Cheers...

1. Is correct. I have also read about having more grooves will allow more water dispersion hence better wet handling but provided the grooves between the 2 tyres you are comparing are of the same width. 3 big grooves vs 4 small ones could result in the same water dispersion rate but will affect dry handling depending on the position of the grooves and the air pressure.

2. On the roll, the one with more contact should have more road noise and more resistance but the compound plays a part too. My take is that a softer compound will expand more when force is applied on, say, in braking and in acceleration. Thus for same unit of force, the softer one may expand more and have more contact with the road.

3. PS3's design could be for better cornering like you said but also probably just to offset its softer compound / sidewall during cornering. In the end, the cornering stability may be the same as with Asy2.

So far the golden rule still applies - Good handling tyres are more noisy and less comfortable.

Hi

can i assume that the general concensus is that between the GR90 and CSC5, the latter gives a more comfortable and quieter ride?

These are 2 different class of tyres and in fact the GR90 with its very soft compound may be more comfortable.

GR90 is more comparable to CPC2.

Definitely go for Bridgestone, should try RE050...very good tyre...excellent performance.

But the wear rate 150....piang....1 track day chui liao.....but I can understand why they put it as OEM for Integra's, Type Rs and earlier STIs.

Buy as 2nd hand from those direct trade-in from new car to bring to track not bad.

I am on GR90 now, past the 2 years mark with about 40k+ mileage. Thus its probably time for a change.

I find the GR90 not really quiet (though I have to no way of having any reference point).

Or maybe it is just that my car is getting a little old now (4.5 years now) but I did change my engine mounting recently.

So I am thinking of trying another brand of tyres with the emphasis on comfort and being quiet.

I am looking for CSC5 235/45/18 i got the pricing of $345.00 per PC is it reassonalble or any one can recomend a better price .

i got my F1 ASY 2 recently last mth.

225/40/R18 Made in Germany $270

was quoted $290 for CSC 5

both prices for cash payment only. got them from eng wah.

I am on GR90 now, past the 2 years mark with about 40k+ mileage. Thus its probably time for a change.

I find the GR90 not really quiet (though I have to no way of having any reference point).

Or maybe it is just that my car is getting a little old now (4.5 years now) but I did change my engine mounting recently.

So I am thinking of trying another brand of tyres with the emphasis on comfort and being quiet.

If you find GR90 noisy, probably you can consider Michellin XM. I had that as OEM on my Impreza and I had never found any tyres quieter than those. And they are extremely durable. Took me 3 yrs with almost 40K km on the mileage to see it slightly worn.

Not sure whether shops still carry them or whether other newer models have taken over. They are pricier than most for the same profile but I think they are value for money.

<br />I am looking for CSC5 235/45/18 i got the pricing of $345.00 per PC is it reassonalble or any one can recomend a better price .<br />

<br /><br /><br />

It's a good price for that size in CSC5. I use that tyre and size but I got them at a higher price.

If you can get GY F1A2, it will be a better choice.

↡ Advertisement