Difference between buying from AD and parallel importer

Ssbcc

Apart from the price, there may be many exotic sub-models that the PI brings in which the AD does not sell. For e.g. PML only sells e92 320, 325i and 335i coupes.

If you want other submodels like e92 323i, 330i, M3 you have to go PI.

Can the bros with experience tell me the difference between buying a car from an authorised dealer versus parallel importer?

Aside from the price difference is there anything to be aware of?

Thanks.

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1

Apart from the price, there may be many exotic sub-models that the PI brings in which the AD does not sell. For e.g. PML only sells e92 320, 325i and 335i coupes.

If you want other submodels like e92 323i, 330i, M3 you have to go PI.

PML is only a dealer, not even an AD.

For M cars, can go to authorized dealer Munich Auto.

Edited by Alim

Nope PI does not support recalls.

Correction, be it AD or PI, they are required to required to notify LTA and owners of the affected vehicles imported or sold by them, of any vehicle recall initiated by the vehicle manufacturers.

Electronic Vehicle Recall System

However, if PI close shop, then bad luck.

Yup, certain cars have to go with the PI.

A very good example is the JDM CTR, way better than the UK CTR carried by Kah Motors because Japanese always reserve the best for their own market.

However if one day you LL have to go to PML to service that recurring issue, be prepared to pay some clandestine registration fee that cost a bomb. I know that thats true for mercs w.r.t. C&C.

im lucky that my neither my PML or PI unit has such problems..however adoption fee for PML is 10k if i'm not wrong. but if its a recurring issue..otherside workshop solves the problem much faster and better..i have quite afew friends with clutch/engine problem that PML cant solve but outside resolved it..

my experience is when it comes to resales prices are horrid compareed to PML..but then my car was bought when PI OMV is lower..now since its higher i dont really see alot of these issues

Just checked with a PI... if you buy a second hand car (which is a PI car) from a direct owner-seller, you need to pay the PI a flat $2k fee to transfer the warranty from old owner to new owner...

Is this the norm?

Neutral Newbie

Alot of times, PI gets their warranty from a 3rd party workshop and their coverage is very limited. Secondly, the workshop or the PI

might now be around anymore when u want to make a warranty claim. Definitely not worth paying 2k to transfer warranty.

That sounds logical. Going by their strong handed way of handling this "transfer of warranty for owners". I doubt they will honour any warranty anyway within the balance 18 months of the car's warranty... in that case, that 2k SGD is not quite worth it. So end up, buyers of that 18 months car will not have any warranty.

Neutral Newbie

i am still confused and not decided if to buy from PI..

thinking to buy a markX, since prices are quite similar to honda accord/carmy.

but i worry those PI reliability on servicing and waranty

About the MarkX, i heard good and bad comments..

i am not concern about "road handling, performance, .." .. becos i just dont understnad them :)

i just want to buy a saloon car ~140k +/- and feel good to drive and dont give me problem

so, is it a MarkX from PI or go AD for camry/accord or C180?

very confuse lei...

Neutral Newbie

spend 10-20 k to get peaceful mind.

BTW, for 2nd car, how can i know it was from AD or PI

if AD ... the seller sure mentioned AD la ... better price and higher confidence

AD car can get service record from AD

PI car is serviced at outside workshop that tied up with the PI

spend 10-20 k to get peaceful mind.

BTW, for 2nd car, how can i know it was from AD or PI

Neutral Newbie

can anybody educate me? why PI sell car 10-20k lower than AD? Is there any difference 10 years later.

can anybody educate me? why PI sell car 10-20k lower than AD? Is there any difference 10 years later.

just before your car's 10 years is up, you get back your PARF value plus maybe car body price. No difference AD or PI cars.

i am still confused and not decided if to buy from PI..

thinking to buy a markX, since prices are quite similar to honda accord/carmy.

but i worry those PI reliability on servicing and waranty

About the MarkX, i heard good and bad comments..

i am not concern about "road handling, performance, .." .. becos i just dont understnad them :)

i just want to buy a saloon car ~140k +/- and feel good to drive and dont give me problem

so, is it a MarkX from PI or go AD for camry/accord or C180?

very confuse lei...

Maybe you should consider leasing a car. Least problem, only pay more money. No worries about breakdown, road tax, insurance, servicing etc.

If you know nuts about car, AD is the way to go. In order to maintain the warranty, need to go back for services. So dun KPKB about the service cost.

For PI, JDM quality is slightly better notch. It has to go through 4 seasons in Japan rather than our tropical climate, spec tolerance is much higher. If you know where to get original spares from the parallel distributor, things will be a breeze rather than relying on workshop with cut throat price. Coming back to cost, PI might be slightly cheaper(same cc for comparison), the saving can basically last you for that 2-3yrs in AD warranty cost.

Neutral Newbie

There has been so many mentions of getting a 'reliable' PI.

I have been looking at Toyota Allion. Does Bros here have any recommendation for a good PI?

Thanks in advance! [:)]

↡ Advertisement