Offer COE rebates for couples with young chewren...

RadX

....wah jialat liddat. Now Gahmen must take care of ppl liddis too.....knn, never hear of taxi ah <_<<_<

OWNING a car is a necessity, not a dream, for a family with young children.

Just think of the daily morning rush to send a child to day care or a baby to the grandparents' homes. From prams to milk bottles, diapers to food, change of clothing to wet wipes, the list of mandatory baby or child supplies is long and difficult to trundle if one has to resort to public transport.

The weekend is short when one has children and errands must be undertaken with the entire family in tow. How do you visit the bank, take the child to the doctor, buy groceries and visit the grandparents in a day? Answer: By having a car, which makes a significant difference in the quality of life for Singapore families.

The Government has announced further reduction in vehicle growth rate which will ratchet up prices of certificates of entitlement (COE) further, beyond the reach of young couples. The Government should consider offering COE rebates for cars with 1,600cc capacity and less to families with at least one child, and rebates for bigger-capacity cars to families with at least two children.

The latter takes into consideration families with grandparents, two young children (two car seats required) and a maid.

For a family with young children, a car is not an optional, flashy plaything.

Wang Siang Ling (Ms)

↡ Advertisement

good idea, but only give rebates if you have 4 children and above [sly]

just 1 or 2 kids also want rebates, crazy [whip]

just choose a childcare centre near to home lor, every morning walk there can already.

Edited by Kiario

Twincharged

see ... things are always different when you are n the other side of the fence.

i believe the writer must have hated cars before she got her handful.

anyway, per a previous discussion, i still support that only one car can be registered to an family cluster/address.

....wah jialat liddat. Now Gahmen must take care of ppl liddis too.....knn, never hear of taxi ah <_<<_<

Just think of the daily morning rush to send a child to day care or a baby to the grandparents' homes. From prams to milk bottles, diapers to food, change of clothing to wet wipes, the list of mandatory baby or child supplies is long and difficult to trundle if one has to resort to public transport.

The weekend is short when one has children and errands must be undertaken with the entire family in tow. How do you visit the bank, take the child to the doctor, buy groceries and visit the grandparents in a day? Answer: By having a car, which makes a significant difference in the quality of life for Singapore families.

The Government has announced further reduction in vehicle growth rate which will ratchet up prices of certificates of entitlement (COE) further, beyond the reach of young couples. The Government should consider offering COE rebates for cars with 1,600cc capacity and less to families with at least one child, and rebates for bigger-capacity cars to families with at least two children.

The latter takes into consideration families with grandparents, two young children (two car seats required) and a maid.

Wang Siang Ling (Ms)

I got a feeling Ms Wang is asking for it. -_-

see ... things are always different when you are n the other side of the fence.

i believe the writer must have hated cars before she got her handful.

anyway, per a previous discussion, i still support that only one car can be registered to an family cluster/address.

I don't quite totally agree with you on this....

If our children are still young and does not own a driving licence, then I agree but when they are grown up and needs a car because of their work and you need the car also because of work, then 1 car 1 family will not work..... [:(]

I understand if someone asked Gahment help for needs like, public transport, food, education, public housing.. But for luxury items like car, got the cheek to ask gahment for help??

Like that I should ask gahment to help me upgrade to 55" TV.. coz it helps to bond with my family.

Wang Siang Ling (Ms)

Bloody useless, hopeless Singaporeans ..... want a car work hard, save hard lah. Everything also expect the gahment to help. Cannot afford new car, there is still cheap option available - 6-7 years Korean made which will meet the budget.

Sometime is frustrating to read such postings ......

Bloody useless, hopeless Singaporeans ..... want a car work hard, save hard lah. Everything also expect the gahment to help. Cannot afford new car, there is still cheap option available - 6-7 years Korean made which will meet the budget.

Sometime is frustrating to read such postings ......

She should just walk around with a sign "Will Make Babies for Car". <_<

a government's role is to provide basic needs or provide infrastructure to help secure them for citizens (other than its other roles).

anything else, please work hard and buy it yourself.

people who whine and complain so much and claim that car is a need, seriously F you. you're damn spoilt.

not having a car will suffer, yes, but it will not kill you.

if want private transport, there are many cheap and old ones available. sorry but beggars ain't choosers.

Whole generations grew up without a car. I am one of those (but now I have 3, yeah). Women used to single-handedly raise multiple kids (many more than what couples are producing nowadays) without a car and sometimes with a single income.

A car is a luxury, not an entitlement. It is not govt's job to provide luxuries. After car, what next? Subsidised holidays?

I agree with Ms Wang even though I don't have any kids.

The COE system is a crude implementation to regulate car population growth in Singapore.

Govt has mentioned before they won't try and address the issue of who has a greater need for cars as it is a thorny issue.

However, in this case it is not about the family need for cars, rather it is the nation's need for more babies to replace a greying population and up the replacement rate in Singapore which currently stands at around 1.16.

of course it is entirely possible to bring up kids without cars, but all things being equal, the availability of a car to cater for family needs will definitely help to ease the burden of taking care of kids (imagine rainy weather with 1 toddler & 1 baby, wife gets complications after giving birth, baby running high fever during morning peak hours, etc)

1 thing i don't understand, why do parents wif kid bring a lot of barang barang out?

Pampers (this one alone take out lots of space. just remember every 2 hour need to change)

Milk powder,

Extra clothing,

Water.

This is the kind of ME ME ME lobbying that Singapore must never start to give in to.

One very simple question that she will never be able to answer -

Now she is asking for COE rebate for family with kids because she is in that sub group.

So what happens if we give this group the rebate - what about those families who cannot afford a car even with a COE rebate. Do we next give free cars to these families with young children who cannot afford a car.

And if we give them free cars, and they cannot afford the petrol? Do we give them free petrol so they can bond with the families , have better quality of life, and do their banking all in one day?

Or are the poor not deserving of a better quality of life that comes with owning a car ?

Edited by Aventador
↡ Advertisement