Offer COE rebates for couples with young chewren...

RadX

You have kids? Sometimes not so easy.

Not all childcare centres are equally well-run. Some overcrowded, understaffed or badly staffed, your child cannot settle there... no choice got to look a bit further.

Even nearby childcare centres within walking distance are not really "walkable" when your consider you have to cart your work stuff, the kid's bag, and sometimes the kid too (if he refuses or is reluctant to go childcare).

So all these are the considerations. Definitely will be late for work if you don't have a car to drive (centres only open at 7am and people usually drop their kids at 7:15am or so onwards).

4 and above? I think you need more than a car by then... mini-bus or van, maybe!

yes i do [wave]

↡ Advertisement

For a family with young children, a car is not an optional, flashy plaything.

Wang Siang Ling (Ms)

Ms. Wang just have to buy a 2nd hand car. Problem solved.

now a day 2nd hand car same price as first hand.. buy liao also come out same amount a year.

problem still not solve.

good idea, but only give rebates if you have 4 children and above [sly]

just 1 or 2 kids also want rebates, crazy [whip]

just choose a childcare centre near to home lor, every morning walk there can already.

Her reasons are valid when kids are growing. The car is even more demanding when kids have CCA and remedial lessons after schools. One kids easy to manage. Two kids and above, car becomes a necessary evil.

Edited by Rayleigh

now a day 2nd hand car same price as first hand.. buy liao also come out same amount a year.

problem still not solve.

Get an old 2nd hand car. Problem solved.

problem still not solve.

That's why my Granny always advice the girls to marry an educated man who can bring home the dole. -_-

i still dont get it. is it a valid reason to own a car? nowadays ppl really come out their own rationale.

i don't know, last time we also travel to school on our own(i go to school on my own since primary 1)

but now, 18 years old NSF still need parents to fetch/send them during book in/out days.

of course with car more convenient lah, but use this excuse to ask for rebates :wacko:

Edited by Kiario

gahmen will tell her take MRT

Can also tell her take cab. She juz wanna find excuses to own a car easily for her, she worry after her coe up she no longer can afford another ride.

sporeans turning into greeks ? everything must as govt to "give" ?

must buy new car with $50k/$70k coe?

check sgcarmart there are so many used car <5 years old and <$60k

sibei lame excuse must have a car for young children .. hmm, may be she plan to get a BMW/Audi 2012 new model ehh?

Edited by Wt_know

....wah jialat liddat. Now Gahmen must take care of ppl liddis too.....knn, never hear of taxi ah <_<<_<

OWNING a car is a necessity, not a dream, for a family with young children.

Just think of the daily morning rush to send a child to day care or a baby to the grandparents' homes. From prams to milk bottles, diapers to food, change of clothing to wet wipes, the list of mandatory baby or child supplies is long and difficult to trundle if one has to resort to public transport.

The weekend is short when one has children and errands must be undertaken with the entire family in tow. How do you visit the bank, take the child to the doctor, buy groceries and visit the grandparents in a day? Answer: By having a car, which makes a significant difference in the quality of life for Singapore families.

The Government has announced further reduction in vehicle growth rate which will ratchet up prices of certificates of entitlement (COE) further, beyond the reach of young couples. The Government should consider offering COE rebates for cars with 1,600cc capacity and less to families with at least one child, and rebates for bigger-capacity cars to families with at least two children.

The latter takes into consideration families with grandparents, two young children (two car seats required) and a maid.

Wang Siang Ling (Ms)

Looking at the big picture, this lady is not the only one facing this kind of problem. The real issue is not about owning a car or not. It's about the infrastructure or the lack of it and the lack of good policies to help the elderly.

The childcare/daycare center network is lacking. The number of childcare/daycare centers are obviously not enough to cater to the population. With ppl encouraged or boh pian have to work into their old age cos of high cost of living, there's no one to help look after the young ones. It's too much for old folks to work and have to help out on looking after young ones. Young couples also buay tahan where do the elderly get the energy? I dun think the maid can tahan much longer with the work load even with help.

Now that housing and transportation costs are skyrocketing it's no wonder ppl cry out fo help. This kind of environment totally prevents couples from wanting any children at all. Govt can bring in all the immigrants from China or India but eventually these immigrants will leave without hesitation. How to settle down and start a home with all these obstacles?

How to have economic growth when the govt do not take care of the welfare of its ppl first?

Her reasons are valid when kids are growing. The car is even more demanding when kids have CCA and remedial lessons after schools. One kids easy to manage. Two kids and above, car becomes a necessary evil.

Rubbish lah ... CCA and remedial = Need for car .... my dad never fetch me when I had CCA or remedial classes ... stop spoilting the kids lah.

There is always public transport ... MRT, Bus etc etc...

Edited by Civic6228

Looking at the big picture, this lady is not the only one facing this kind of problem. The real issue is not about owning a car or not. It's about the infrastructure or the lack of it and the lack of good policies to help the elderly.

The childcare/daycare center network is lacking. The number of childcare/daycare centers are obviously not enough to cater to the population. With ppl encouraged or boh pian have to work into their old age cos of high cost of living, there's no one to help look after the young ones. It's too much for old folks to work and have to help out on looking after young ones. Young couples also buay tahan where do the elderly get the energy? I dun think the maid can tahan much longer with the work load even with help.

Now that housing and transportation costs are skyrocketing it's no wonder ppl cry out fo help. This kind of environment totally prevents couples from wanting any children at all. Govt can bring in all the immigrants from China or India but eventually these immigrants will leave without hesitation. How to settle down and start a home with all these obstacles?

How to have economic growth when the govt do not take care of the welfare of its ppl first?

all I can say is that people need to plan and think of consequences before they do anything.

If you want kids, people should jolly well work out all the finances and possible infra and logistic support before having them. Don't go get kids already and then start to kpkb how to bring them up when things are expensive.

I find Sporeans lack planning in their daily life. They ignore the dark clouds. Then when the day starts to rain, they start looking and hassling for an umbrella. Sometimes they complain there is no umbrella. But hell, they should start looking for that umbrella when they see the dark clouds and not when it starts raining.

Edited by Icedbs

real issue is public transport CMI!

The real issue is lack of planning by Ms Wang.

But again...I don't understand what is her issue. If she just a need a cheaper A to B transport, just get a darn 2nd hand car. Get a 5 year old one and I am sure it's cheaper than any new cars.

problem is people want new, want nice, want brand, but when they don't have a money, they start to kpkb. With some realistic expectations and planning, the problem is not even an issue.

i don't know, last time we also travel to school on our own(i go to school on my own since primary 1)

but now, 18 years old NSF still need parents to fetch/send them during book in/out days.

of course with car more convenient lah, but use this excuse to ask for rebates :wacko:

This is becoz our time car is so ex that not any tom dick harry can afford. Most family dun have the luxury of having a car to fetch their kid. There r also many neighborhood schools around, kids can take a bus or walk, can reach there school easily. Ppl r like, if u cannot afford something, u will not think of it as a need. Eg if govt slash the condo price by half, no need downpayment and let u take loan up to 40 yrs-50 yrs with very low interest, all ppl will start saying they need to live in condo.

and that's the mentality that is going to bring usa and europe down.

The real issue is lack of planning by Ms Wang.

But again...I don't understand what is her issue. If she just a need a cheaper A to B transport, just get a darn 2nd hand car. Get a 5 year old one and I am sure it's cheaper than any new cars.

problem is people want new, want nice, want brand, but when they don't have a money, they start to kpkb. With some realistic expectations and planning, the problem is not even an issue.

....wah jialat liddat. Now Gahmen must take care of ppl liddis too.....knn, never hear of taxi ah <_<<_<

OWNING a car is a necessity, not a dream, for a family with young children.

Just think of the daily morning rush to send a child to day care or a baby to the grandparents' homes. From prams to milk bottles, diapers to food, change of clothing to wet wipes, the list of mandatory baby or child supplies is long and difficult to trundle if one has to resort to public transport.

The weekend is short when one has children and errands must be undertaken with the entire family in tow. How do you visit the bank, take the child to the doctor, buy groceries and visit the grandparents in a day? Answer: By having a car, which makes a significant difference in the quality of life for Singapore families.

The Government has announced further reduction in vehicle growth rate which will ratchet up prices of certificates of entitlement (COE) further, beyond the reach of young couples. The Government should consider offering COE rebates for cars with 1,600cc capacity and less to families with at least one child, and rebates for bigger-capacity cars to families with at least two children.

The latter takes into consideration families with grandparents, two young children (two car seats required) and a maid.

Wang Siang Ling (Ms)

I think if i were her husband, i would have committed suicide long ago.

This type of wife complain too much and do too little. Give all sorts of excuses all the time.

I think if i were her husband, i would have committed suicide long ago.

This type of wife complain too much and do too little. Give all sorts of excuses all the time.

the name is (Ms) leh.. maybe unable to find any husband?

↡ Advertisement