Used Car, what STA Inspection grade then can buy?

Saviourwu

I just got a 6 year old with 70,000+ KM, and STA gave a B grade.

I considered it as v good condition already.

6 year old with 70K mileage consider very good.

↡ Advertisement

Take the gradings with a pinch of salt. How can they be sure of the conditions in just an hour? For peace of mind that the car has not been in a major accident or something but nothing can be done regarding wear and tear. Luck plays a part when u buy a used car

Hi guys, just a check, what is the minimal grade acceptable for a used car to guarantee a safe buy?

B?

Will the STA inspection indicate all the defects and if got accident before will highlight to us? [hur]

For me, I will take 4 stars minimum. I learn that they will never give 5 star when come to used cars. When there is accident detected, my advice is not to buy even they fit it. You never know what will be other problems after major accident that the car chasis has been miss alligned with original stock position. Always put the condition clause on paper such as if there is accident detected and below 4 star grade then I can cancel the order with refund deposit.

Thus, It is better u r there when they do the inspection. The technician from Vicom will show you the problem when there is detected accidents. They actually perform a fixture on measuring pts checking on the chasis . if it is miss allign, it means there are major accident before. I am not sure if STA perform such checking.

Edited by Beachboy7718
  • Praise 1

How do you know that the mileage is real?

Not true wor.. usually if cars less than 2yo should get an A, B are acceptable due to wear and tear ma... if everything u wan good condition, buy new car.

I know of a few cars which have been involved in accidents and after repair (some of them pretty extensive, change radiator, change multiple panels, realignment, change entire pinion and rack steering etc) and still can get A. The point is, if the repair was good and restore the car to close to what it was, STA can still give A. I personally will siam already if it is as my impression is that STA assessment is a pretty run of the mill test and should have no problem getting A.

Supercharged

How do you know that the mileage is real?

this is one thing that u got to trust the dealer when buying an used car. no way to avoid this trust.

so long as the milage is reasonable, and looking at the general condition of engine parts and suspensions, u should be able to estimate for yourself.

sometimes u can tell by looking at the engine. if the engine looks kind of old, with worn out rubber hoses, nuts are not clean, suspensions squeaky, u will know the car is running longer than what the milage states. Anyway, these are still not full proof measures. You still got to trust whatever the dealer says.

this is one thing that u got to trust the dealer when buying an used car. no way to avoid this trust.

so long as the milage is reasonable, and looking at the general condition of engine parts and suspensions, u should be able to estimate for yourself.

sometimes u can tell by looking at the engine. if the engine looks kind of old, with worn out rubber hoses, nuts are not clean, suspensions squeaky, u will know the car is running longer than what the milage states. Anyway, these are still not full proof measures. You still got to trust whatever the dealer says.

you know whats worse? buying a car that has been thrashed and then dekitted (e.g. de-turbo-ed)

I wouldn't trust 70,000 km unless the car had a dealer service within the last 6 months with a recorded mileage close to that 70k.

Edited by Turboflat4

Supercharged

you know whats worse? buying a car that has been thrashed and then dekitted (e.g. de-turbo-ed)

actually, after de-kitted, u can also tell one.....

look at the nuts and screws and those small parts that were replaced. If your eyes are sharp, you will know whether they are being screwed and unscrewed before. The colour tones are also different from the original engine. [cool][cool]

even if they ever change the radiator before, you can also tell one......... original radiator looks different from a replacement one

For me, I will take 4 stars minimum. I learn that they will never give 5 star when come to used cars. When there is accident detected, my advice is not to buy even they fit it. You never know what will be other problems after major accident that the car chasis has been miss alligned with original stock position. Always put the condition clause on paper such as if there is accident detected and below 4 star grade then I can cancel the order with refund deposit.

Thus, It is better u r there when they do the inspection. The technician from Vicom will show you the problem when there is detected accidents. They actually perform a fixture on measuring pts checking on the chasis . if it is miss allign, it means there are major accident before. I am not sure if STA perform such checking.

Where u get the fifth * from?? 4* is already the max grade from vicom liao... [:)]

Twincharged

I will definitely not get anything lower than an A. Saw a car so badly damaged that the repair was actually just welding the rear of another scrap car to it. And it got B for the inspection.

Twincharged

look at the nuts and screws and those small parts that were replaced. If your eyes are sharp, you will know whether they are being screwed and unscrewed before. The colour tones are also different from the original engine. [cool][cool]

even if they ever change the radiator before, you can also tell one......... original radiator looks different from a replacement one

But then you do not need to have modded the car to have removed screws from it. Sometimes servicing also need to take out certain screws or parts.

What i did was to first google for images of the car's engine bay and also source for PDFs of the car manual. There is an advance car manual which are meant for mechanics. There is a detailed break view of the engine bay. I memorised the layout and i tried to spot for anomalies when i visited the car (when my friend asked me to follow along when he was sourcing for a car). When the engine bay layout is somehow different, i told my friend to move on.

Actually technically, assuming we have an OBDII adaptor, we can run a diagnostic on the car's innards, I figure this might be helpful. There are OBDII apps available. Just gotta get a OBDII adaptor that has a bluetooth interface.

Edited by Happily1986

Not "B" have issue on the said car (BUT "C") as "STA" also depends / consider the following minor points:-

- the aged of car

- the mileage of car

- the wear & tear condition of car

- the paint work

- the nos of dents on doors and panels

- the minor scratches on bumpers etc

Edited by Jefkking
  • Praise 1

Generally, it's the age and distance clocked by the car that determines the grade given by STA.

For a 3-year old ride, it will be a minimum of grade B and above

B for normal wear and tear of moving parts(mostly) but if there the chassis has been damaged, it can be anything from C, D etc

Vicom & STA inspection serve as just a general guide.

Best is to get your trusted mechanic to check the essential parts if you can get him/her. [laugh]

Actually inspection is just to check if any structural damage to car due to accident, not health of engine. I suppose if no serious structural damage to car, wl get B grade at least.

I know of a few cars which have been involved in accidents and after repair (some of them pretty extensive, change radiator, change multiple panels, realignment, change entire pinion and rack steering etc) and still can get A. The point is, if the repair was good and restore the car to close to what it was, STA can still give A. I personally will siam already if it is as my impression is that STA assessment is a pretty run of the mill test and should have no problem getting A.

Perhaps STA not skilled enuff to spot such faults? Really bad news for 2nd hand car buyers.