Lexus Owners (To share driving experience and advise)

LouislexusGS

Good Day to Everyone!

Finally got a chance to post and start a new forum myself; I am always looking forward for Lexus owners to share their driving experience, the things to watch out for the cars, maintainance, tyres / spare parts or some recommended service centres to share among all Lexus owners to better use the money when needed to deal with these matters for their cars.

Feel free to update and post any replies; thanks for your kind support then!

thumbsup.gif

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 2

Good Day to Everyone!

Finally got a chance to post and start a new forum myself; I am always looking forward for Lexus owners to share their driving experience, the things to watch out for the cars, maintainance, tyres / spare parts or some recommended service centres to share among all Lexus owners to better use the money when needed to deal with these matters for their cars.

[thumbsup]

rode in gs300 feels big , stable & very quiet ,no engine sound , steer will retract when off car , no paddle shift & high fc , a farmer will look different class driving it , but still the prestige feel is no where near ger car

• Praise 2

Car is good; V6 performance is also good, from interior to normal driving comparing to other car makes from Japan. I must admit Lexus do face a big competition among other European car makes, but it is still successful in its branding towards luxury maker for cars; especially its' LS model, it is a class of its own.

I chose this car and GS model because maintainance-wise, it is easier than other European make; because its' Toyota parts essential for normal parts. Faster and bigger in space than IS though.

• Praise 2

i had a RX300 for over 5 years. Among the 10+ cars that i have driven last 18 years, the RX has the least maintenance.

It also has the best sound insulation. i have even sound proof the whole SUV which probably added a 10kg to its weight.

FC is terrible. i get around 6km/l. One major problem i had is the cracks on the dashboard. i was told some conditioning might have prevented it.

Also, service from BM has been top notch.

• Praise 2

Wah! Your FC is pretty low! With heavy foot and fast driving manners, I still get about 9 to 10km/l. (Even if it is the sound proofing add-on weight, it is still very low)...I hope your FC doesn't start from day 1 since u drive though.

Can u check with the mechanics for this issue?

Neutral Newbie

Good Day to Everyone!

[thumbsup]

Have been a faithful fan of Lexus since starting with my IS200 few years ago. Silky smooth 6 cylinder engines, bullet -proof reiability, superb sound proofing, premium audio system, nice electronic features that work even though car is pass 5 years, easy to get toyota spare parts. This led to the GS 300 and now I am driving ES 300 bcos needed the larger boot for golf bags.

• Praise 2

ES boot like Camry 06' version got the biggest boot for 2000cc cars...GS boot is converging in and pretty smaller than ES. Used to drive a Camry and I miss my boot size last time to place things inside.

• Praise 1

RX is 4WD and 3.0L is underpowered. In fact, the RX350 has better FC than the 300.

And you are right, heavy footing and many start/stops also results to my high FC.

Anyway, i sold it away few months ago. Can't wait to see the new GS coming to town.

• Praise 1

i had a RX300 for over 5 years. Among the 10+ cars that i have driven last 18 years, the RX has the least maintenance.

It also has the best sound insulation. i have even sound proof the whole SUV which probably added a 10kg to its weight.

FC is terrible. i get around 6km/l. One major problem i had is the cracks on the dashboard. i was told some conditioning might have prevented it.

Also, service from BM has been top notch.

I have been waiting for a very long time to come across a fellow RX owner who did aftermarket sound proofing on the car. Can you please tell me what exactly you did? Did you remove the stock sound proofing to replace with your after-market ones, or do you just add on to whatever layer that is already there?

I drive a 3rd Gen RX. The engine is quiet, vibration free and very comfortable inside but I find the tire noise on rougher surface quite bad. I could just change the tire to a quieter model but it won't be due for another year or so, therefore would like to consider sound proofing instead (especially on the wheel well area)

By the way, my FC is about 9.4 km/liter average for the last 4 months. I drive a RX270, not 350. 40:60 city/highway. Very light footed driver.

Edited by Topspin
  • Praise 2

Hi Topspin,

I found that DB Aspec (spelling?) tyre the quietest when run on my RX.

Anyway, my sound proofing include 4 doors (double layer), base and wheel arc.

Bonnet has an original layer which i was told is for sound and fire proofing, so never touch.

i have also added a rubber strip along all 4 doors but frankly i doubt that has helps.

RX270 i presume is 2WD?

• Praise 1

Hi Topspin,

I found that DB Aspec (spelling?) tyre the quietest when run on my RX.

Anyway, my sound proofing include 4 doors (double layer), base and wheel arc.

Bonnet has an original layer which i was told is for sound and fire proofing, so never touch.

i have also added a rubber strip along all 4 doors but frankly i doubt that has helps.

RX270 i presume is 2WD?

Yes RX270 is FWD.

Will definitely change the tire to quiet type on my next replacement but options quite limited on my 235 60 R18. Yoko Aspec DB does not have my size.

Is there are insulation material originally in your car? If yes, did you have to remove your original material before placing the after-market ones? Did you notice significant difference before and after?

May I ask how much you paid for all your sound insulation and where did you do it? If this info is deemed not suitable to publish could you PM me the info instead. Thanks

• Praise 1

I am currently using the Yokohama performance tires; have not recycle yet to change from back to front and front to back (20km) and the base tire sound running on road is more visible than previously just changed.

I am thinking of changing to a better, quieter performance tires. Is there any good recommendation for GS?

There is no original sound proofing material in my RX except on the engine bonnet (a black velvet material).

I cannot remember the cost as i have many other stuff done by the shop. Its located in Toa Payoh and that's like 4-5 years ago.

Btw, mine's the second gen RX while yours is latest model.

My suggestion is first just do up a double layer material for each of your 4 doors. Change the original speakers and tweeters.

Throw in a few amp and if you can, change the original headset (i did mine with an aftermarket bracket).

You should feel more solid on the doors and improve in the speaker punch.

In later stage, add more sound proofing in area you feel required.

There is no point throwing everything in at one go as you'll probably dont feel any diff after a shortwhile.

Do bear in mind, most shop will encourage you to change EVERYTHING at one go to save cost. Dont! enjoy the improvement slowly and you'll probably enjoy your upgrade better.

Neutral Newbie

ES boot like Camry 06' version got the biggest boot for 2000cc cars...GS boot is converging in and pretty smaller than ES. Used to drive a Camry and I miss my boot size last time to place things inside.

Now that you mentioned. I have an 07 Camry also. The boot is still smaller than the ES 300 boot, however back seat leg room is better. I suppose it runs on longer wheel base. Most golfers tell me the biggest boot size was from the 2002 till 2004 camry.

For the GS boot, the boot entry is small plus got to load golf bag diagonally across boot unless i remove the driver. However the GS is a much better drive dynamically ie better cornering, better outright power. ES 300 uses camry parts so much cheaper to upkeep. More comfort rather than out and out drivers car.

• Praise 1

Have been a faithful fan of Lexus since starting with my IS200 few years ago. Silky smooth 6 cylinder engines, bullet -proof reiability, superb sound proofing, premium audio system, nice electronic features that work even though car is pass 5 years, easy to get toyota spare parts. This led to the GS 300 and now I am driving ES 300 bcos needed the larger boot for golf bags.

I tot gs is a bigger car than es?

es is easier to drive becoz it is fwd

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1