• Search this thread
  • Reply to this topic
2836 replies to this topic | 6,425 praises

Posted 10 June 2019 - 04:02 PM

Arogab
  • Premium member
    Arogab
    5th Gear
    The points of the user determines the rank. The higher the points, the higher the rank.
    Author Image
    The bar represents the rank and points of the user. The longer the bar, the higher the rank and points.

Points are accumulated from other users who Praise or Disliked this users' posts.

Formerly driving a Merc w212 E300 V6. Changed to Lexus ES250 2014. First thing I noticed is the build quality inside Lexus, felt luxurious. Next is the ride quality. Both cars are fantastic but Lexus is much quieter when cruising at 80 to 90km/h. Power wise, can't make much comparison bcos not in the same cc category. Due to cc and engine wise, E300 is much more powerful. One thing I dislike is the door, E2S50 door don't seem to be as soild as E300 when closing, the japanese door seems too light and seems like I am slamming the door while closing it.

Bro, 

I went to C&C last month. Bloody sales was so stuck up and slamming the Lexus ES250. Not to her knowledge,  I did sound proofing for all doors and the boot and also install the Rewind tube in door seals. Everything sound so good with the installation. Only power loose to the E200 and of cos not to mention the 300. 

Actually, I wonder if we really need so much of the power cos my elder is driving the E250, space wise also loose out.

Can actually invite our Bros over here to discuss what is good cos I donno if I should change with my CO thinking a Merc is a Merc. Care to discuss?

1. Power - Merc up, LX down

2. Interior - Some say Merc up some say LX down, actually I like my current interior better

3. Space - LX up, Merc down

4. RWD - I see no difference

5. Solid feel - My sound proofing I feel is fantastic

6. Handling - LX has a soft touch, Merc has that sporty feel but I am for comfort and smooth ride

7. Engine - LX, quiet and smooth with NA. Merc rather rough with the turbo and not as quiet

8. Doors, seat controls and seat belt - the function is great for Merc and LX only basic

9. Dashboard - I like the LX's optitron meter than the Merc digital panel. Individual

10. Price - Another 40k at least.

11. Reliability - my ES till now is only just drive and service, I donno about Merc

12, Looks - I never feel LX looks inferior, somehow I donno what other feels

13. Petrol consumption - I get 10.5 km/Litre on my Avg Meter, but Merc claims better mileage, I don't care cos my mileage very low

Wonder all other bros can chip in. I also pondering if I should and want to change at any point of time. Thus exploring.....

Did an ECU Tune at BMS last week. Here's the Dyno chart:

attachicon.gifCBB629A3-1CE0-4F4D-8BB6-510ECE9E7852.jpeg

Injen Open Pod Intake, TRD Axleback Exhaust, Esso Ron98, 265/35/R18 rear tyres as Baseline.

Figures rounded up/down to nearest 1th.

Manufacturer Spec
241bhp
350nm
Assuming 20% drivetrain efficiency loss to the rear wheels, it's
192 whp
280nm

Baseline
183 whp
284nm torque

Baseline with Tom's Power Box
180 whp
289nm torque

Tuned
214 whp
329nm torque

Surprisingly,
1) With open pod and straight through exhaust, figures were lower than manufacturer spec.
2) Tom's Power box resulted in lower peak horsepower but had better torque in the low end which was felt in my daily drives.
3) Not much horsepower gains for a "Stage 1" type of tune compares to those VAG cars, but torque is fairly noticeable although I had hoped for a better figure. Then again, a friend who had his car tuned and dynoed at another workshop went to do a baseline at BMS and result was 70horsepower less.

Bro, 

You more experienced, can my ES be tuned to pick up faster? How much spent for how much extra torque? I assume HP is for higher speed and Torque is for pick up. Correct me if I am wrong

t0y0ta and steveluv praised this

Posted 10 June 2019 - 05:27 PM

Theoldjaffa
  • Premium member
    Theoldjaffa
    2Fast2Furious
    The points of the user determines the rank. The higher the points, the higher the rank.
    Author Image
    The bar represents the rank and points of the user. The longer the bar, the higher the rank and points.

Points are accumulated from other users who Praise or Disliked this users' posts.

Bro,

I went to C&C last month. Bloody sales was so stuck up and slamming the Lexus ES250. Not to her knowledge, I did sound proofing for all doors and the boot and also install the Rewind tube in door seals. Everything sound so good with the installation. Only power loose to the E200 and of cos not to mention the 300.

Actually, I wonder if we really need so much of the power cos my elder is driving the E250, space wise also loose out.

Can actually invite our Bros over here to discuss what is good cos I donno if I should change with my CO thinking a Merc is a Merc. Care to discuss?

1. Power - Merc up, LX down
2. Interior - Some say Merc up some say LX down, actually I like my current interior better
3. Space - LX up, Merc down
4. RWD - I see no difference
5. Solid feel - My sound proofing I feel is fantastic
6. Handling - LX has a soft touch, Merc has that sporty feel but I am for comfort and smooth ride
7. Engine - LX, quiet and smooth with NA. Merc rather rough with the turbo and not as quiet
8. Doors, seat controls and seat belt - the function is great for Merc and LX only basic
9. Dashboard - I like the LX's optitron meter than the Merc digital panel. Individual
10. Price - Another 40k at least.
11. Reliability - my ES till now is only just drive and service, I donno about Merc
12, Looks - I never feel LX looks inferior, somehow I donno what other feels
13. Petrol consumption - I get 10.5 km/Litre on my Avg Meter, but Merc claims better mileage, I don't care cos my mileage very low

Wonder all other bros can chip in. I also pondering if I should and want to change at any point of time. Thus exploring.....

Bro,

You more experienced, can my ES be tuned to pick up faster? How much spent for how much extra torque? I assume HP is for higher speed and Torque is for pick up. Correct me if I am wrong

Bro,
Merc vs Lexus, there's no comparison. It's all down to individual criteria and perception. What is useful/better to one may not be useful/better to another.

For tuning, on an NA car, very minimal gains. So I won't recommend it.
SiLangKia and steveluv praised this
--------------------------------------------
Common sense is not a gift, it's a punishment. Because you have to deal with those who don't have it.

Posted 10 June 2019 - 05:30 PM

Mkl22
  • Mkl22
    NOS-ed
    Author Image

if you are happier with lexus, then stick with lexus. Merc quality also so so only. with japanese you rarely get weird problems.

the recent new A class had many with aircon problems blowing hot air. and many took at least 2 visits to address. never heard of a japanese car with such problems.

steveluv praised this

Posted 10 June 2019 - 05:36 PM

Arogab
  • Premium member
    Arogab
    5th Gear
    Author Image

Bro,
Merc vs Lexus, there's no comparison. It's all down to individual criteria and perception. What is useful/better to one may not be useful/better to another.

For tuning, on an NA car, very minimal gains. So I won't recommend it.

Actually I damn sian when CO always put in the mouth the Merc is stil Merc and say our ES looks like the Camry. Makes me a bit dulan. I wanna tell her why in the first place you sapok the buy and not go straight to the showroom and tell me to buy the Merc.

On the oher hand, the old folks old liao, give them a good ride also good for them as something we can give when they old. I always want to give old folks everything besides keeping them company too. I can always save money when they not around although they always remind me to save up. 

So recently work stablized and can talk many stuffs here :grin:

Note you guys noticed I disappear for a long while due to new job. At least now things are good

Posted 10 June 2019 - 10:03 PM

JX83
  • Premium member
    JX83
    4th Gear
    Author Image

Did an ECU Tune at BMS last week. Here's the Dyno chart:

attachicon.gifCBB629A3-1CE0-4F4D-8BB6-510ECE9E7852.jpeg

Injen Open Pod Intake, TRD Axleback Exhaust, Esso Ron98, 265/35/R18 rear tyres as Baseline.

Figures rounded up/down to nearest 1th.

Manufacturer Spec
241bhp
350nm
Assuming 20% drivetrain efficiency loss to the rear wheels, it's
192 whp
280nm

Baseline
183 whp
284nm torque

Baseline with Tom's Power Box
180 whp
289nm torque

Tuned
214 whp
329nm torque

Surprisingly,
1) With open pod and straight through exhaust, figures were lower than manufacturer spec.
2) Tom's Power box resulted in lower peak horsepower but had better torque in the low end which was felt in my daily drives.
3) Not much horsepower gains for a "Stage 1" type of tune compares to those VAG cars, but torque is fairly noticeable although I had hoped for a better figure. Then again, a friend who had his car tuned and dynoed at another workshop went to do a baseline at BMS and result was 70horsepower less.

U on Tom’s power box and went for for Ecu tuning? Or u mean just go for dyno?
2 Anonymous members praised this
JX

Posted 10 June 2019 - 10:24 PM

Theoldjaffa
  • Premium member
    Theoldjaffa
    2Fast2Furious
    Author Image

U on Tomâs power box and went for for Ecu tuning? Or u mean just go for dyno?

Yup ECU tuning
Common sense is not a gift, it's a punishment. Because you have to deal with those who don't have it.

Posted 11 June 2019 - 01:49 AM

JX83
  • Premium member
    JX83
    4th Gear
    Author Image

Yup ECU tuning

Oh.. how much was the ecu tuning? Umm I thought usually can choose either Ecu tuning or addon piggyback. Didn’t know can 2 together.
JX

Posted 13 June 2019 - 09:48 AM

Toeknee_33
  • Premium member
    Toeknee_33
    Supercharged
    Author Image

Formerly driving a Merc w212 E300 V6. Changed to Lexus ES250 2014. First thing I noticed is the build quality inside Lexus, felt luxurious. Next is the ride quality. Both cars are fantastic but Lexus is much quieter when cruising at 80 to 90km/h. Power wise, can't make much comparison bcos not in the same cc category. Due to cc and engine wise, E300 is much more powerful. One thing I dislike is the door, E2S50 door don't seem to be as soild as E300 when closing, the japanese door seems too light and seems like I am slamming the door while closing it.

Wow! I changed out of a E300 too!

The Lexus I have now has 50% more BHP and travels 50% more on every litre of petrol. What is there not to like? Haha!

The W212 feels more solid in construction and more composed at speed which are traditional Merc attributes. The newer W213 in which I spent 2 weeks with, feels more modern but don't feel solid like the W212.

Overall, I don't miss my E300.
Freeder praised this

Posted 14 June 2019 - 10:39 AM

Theoldjaffa
  • Premium member
    Theoldjaffa
    2Fast2Furious
    Author Image

IS200t owners, our HID bulb is D4S.

Ballast is covered under warranty but bulb is not.

One of my bulbs failed (2.5 years) so I went to my workshop to check whether it's a bulb or ballast issue.

This is our stock bulb. Osram D4S. Just shattered inside like that. Had to vacuum the bits out.
85BA884D-0629-4E0E-807B-2F05A3768965.jpeg
Inlinefour praised this

Posted 14 June 2019 - 11:03 AM

Davidtch
  • Premium member
    Davidtch
    2Fast2Furious
    Author Image

One of my bulbs failed (2.5 years) so I went to my workshop to check whether it's a bulb or ballast issue.

This is our stock bulb. Osram D4S. Just shattered inside like that. Had to vacuum the bits out.
attachicon.gif85BA884D-0629-4E0E-807B-2F05A3768965.jpeg

So, what’s the problem?

To vacuum glass bit out of narrow light housing is a challenging job.
1 Anonymous member praised this

Posted 14 June 2019 - 03:42 PM

Theoldjaffa
  • Premium member
    Theoldjaffa
    2Fast2Furious
    Author Image

So, whatâs the problem?

To vacuum glass bit out of narrow light housing is a challenging job.

Dunno the root cause.

Vacuuming was ok as the opening is beside, not behind like most handlamps
Davidtch, Freeder and Inlinefour praised this

Posted 16 June 2019 - 12:08 AM

JX83
  • Premium member
    JX83
    4th Gear
    Author Image

Thanks for sharing bro..
JX

Posted 16 June 2019 - 02:39 PM

Qaz20
  • Premium member
    Qaz20
    3rd Gear
    Author Image

Wow! I changed out of a E300 too!

The Lexus I have now has 50% more BHP and travels 50% more on every litre of petrol. What is there not to like? Haha!

The W212 feels more solid in construction and more composed at speed which are traditional Merc attributes. The newer W213 in which I spent 2 weeks with, feels more modern but don't feel solid like the W212.

Overall, I don't miss my E300.

Lol.. you definitely love the GS450h more. 😉😉

85BA884D-0629-4E0E-807B-2F05A3768965.jpeg

Had D4S bulbs failed in my previous GS300, but none had shattered.
1 Anonymous member praised this

Posted 16 June 2019 - 08:48 PM

Toeknee_33
  • Premium member
    Toeknee_33
    Supercharged
    Author Image

Lol.. you definitely love the GS450h more. 😉😉

Thanks for keeping me company throughout the car acquisition process and for all the useful tips and advice Bro!

Posted 17 June 2019 - 09:52 PM

awhtc
  • awhtc
    5th Gear
    Author Image

Don't rock your car too hard  [laugh]

steveluv praised this

Posted Yesterday, 02:36 PM

clarjoa
  • Premium member
    clarjoa
    Clutched
    Author Image

Hi All,

Dekitting my is200t and looking for anyone who is interested in my 18" OZ racing hyper gt rims. Must swap with stock rims in good condition. One of the 4 rims have a minor kerb rash, the rest are in mint condition. Comes with ps4 tyres with plenty of thread left. Please offer. Labour for both cars to be borne by the buyer. Must deal by this thursday,18 July

Edited by clarjoa, Yesterday, 02:55 PM.

Posted Yesterday, 02:50 PM

Theoldjaffa
  • Premium member
    Theoldjaffa
    2Fast2Furious
    Author Image

this is clarjoa rims.

he also has a JB4 piggyback tuning box, plug and play for sale. 

OZ.jpeg

Back to Japanese Talk  ·  Car Brands Top Reply to this topic

Quick Reply

Tags: lexus, owners, suv, sedan and 1 more...

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users