Parallel import car BMW (HELP)

Zhiwei933

Hi Bro

I am interested to get a 5 series BMW. Today I went down to UBI car mart to survey the price before purchase. Much to my surprise, some of the car dealer able to provide less $40K than what I checked from BMW direct agent and they told me the reason was due to it is ''Parallel import car BMW''.

They told me there is not different in the car regardless or engine or specification and they mention they do have they own workshop for services that might costs only $200 rather than agent service $500. Anyone willing to share the different between as the price quite attractive to me.

BMW Direct Agent: 248K

Parallel import BMW: 208K

Thank you

Regards

Desmond

↡ Advertisement

Hi there r several reasons you need to take into account for the price differenc.

1) the PI version may fetch a lower omv

2) the PI may not have secured a guaranteed coe bid

3) makes sure on available stock from PI. Make sure you buy from a reliable established PI eg Vincar. Otherwise you may wait half a yr for delivery!

4) resale value maybe lower for a PI car as compared to a AD car

5) in the past PML did not sell the more exotic sub models like the M Cars and other spots models available in europe. So these are only available from a PI.

In general if u go to a good PI you dont really have to worry if you take note of the above.

Servicing is also no problem as a reliable PI will refer you to a good workshop for the servicing and warranty.

The servicing at PML actually sucks big time and you should visit the bmw forum to find out more as there are plenty of discussion threads there on this subject.

Good luck with your new acquisition

My observations on our bro's points

1) the PI version may fetch a lower omv (if you gain 40k overall, OMV would not make much difference)

2) the PI may not have secured a guaranteed coe bid (if stock is available for the colour and model you want, most of the PI would get you on first bid - you can negotiate for "guranteed COE" )

3) makes sure on available stock from PI. Make sure you buy from a reliable established PI eg Vincar. Otherwise you may wait half a yr for delivery! (very true - lot of warranty guarantee issues with those silly PIs)

4) resale value maybe lower for a PI car as compared to a AD car (Very true - again you gain 40k at the front itself)

5) in the past PML did not sell the more exotic sub models like the M Cars and other spots models available in europe. So these are only available from a PI ((All the models in 5 series available with PM)

6) Please check if the imported model was meant for Singapore. A car made for Russia may turn out to be a problem in Singapore

7) Generally insurance is higher for PI cars.

Are you looking for 523i?

Edited by Steptronic

PI, warranty issues??? Some PI will not honor the warranty..

As far as I know, PML will impose a "adpotion fee" if they have to attend to a PI car ..... 40 k saving is a lot, but I am not sure of the 248k is the listed or netted buy price. My suggestion is for you to check the best offer (overtrade) that you can get from PML if you have not check with the price from PML. The difference may not be 40k.

If wanna mod like hell .. Then PI should be advisable.

If plan to remain stock.. Then may I suggest PML

Cause even the smallest mod .. Your warranty might be void with PML.

Don't forget the high maintanence of this ride.. F10 a lot electronic stuff .. Mess with it .. U die!

• Praise 1

You might want to know. If your car ever have any issues and cannot be fixed by the PI workshop, sending your car to Performance Motors require a $10,000 registration fee.

Yes. $10k, even for changing a key.

Hi Bro

I am interested to get a 5 series BMW. Today I went down to UBI car mart to survey the price before purchase. Much to my surprise, some of the car dealer able to provide less $40K than what I checked from BMW direct agent and they told me the reason was due to it is ''Parallel import car BMW''.

They told me there is not different in the car regardless or engine or specification and they mention they do have they own workshop for services that might costs only $200 rather than agent service $500. Anyone willing to share the different between as the price quite attractive to me.

BMW Direct Agent: 248K

Parallel import BMW: 208K

Thank you

Regards

Desmond

You might want to know. If your car ever have any issues and cannot be fixed by the PI workshop, sending your car to Performance Motors require a $10,000 registration fee.

Yes. $10k, even for changing a key.

why so jialat?

other companies also a few 100 nia

why don't you sign up at bmw-sg forum and check with the bros there? i believe PML can easily slice 30-40k off the retail price... they're clearing the NA IL6 523i for the incoming Turbo IL4 520i and 528i now

Er i have heard of them before but never dealt with them. Why dont you visit the Vincar website and ask for Tony

i went last year with a friend and he ordered a z4 from them. Prior to that ordered e92 coupe also from them and they are reliable.

Whats the bhp for the 523i and 525i? Do they use same engine block as the coupes?

Hi bro

Thank for your advise. they promised me to delivery the car to me within 14 day upon my confimation.

Do you think this is a good PI:

http://www.primecars.com.sg/main/category/new-cars/

Thank and Regards

Desmond

Suggest you check with PML what is the best price they can offer you instead of just relying on list price. Sometimes, PML can give a very good overtrade for your existing car as well as discount over the list price, which will narrow the price difference dramatically between PML and PI

Edited by Achee

Hi Bro

They did offered me a high trade in price as I am driving Lancer Ex 1.5 GLX 2nd hand car June 2008 car and much to much suprise I eventually earned as previously I bought for 49K and now they willing to offered me 53K.

Hi Bro

They did offered me a high trade in price as I am driving Lancer Ex 1.5 GLX 2nd hand car June 2008 car and much to much suprise I eventually earned as previously I bought for 49K and now they willing to offered me 53K.

Jus a concern - unless u kena toto gp1, or happened to be adopted by rich man, lancer ex to bmw5 a super big jump; u sure u able to afford loan n other upkeep cost?

Hope u don't take offence.

Haha. Bro thank for your concern. Btw I got my license last yrs so my dad think that it better to get a 2nd hand car. However, just graduate and got a job so he thinking to change a new car :)

bro fuelsaver has a point. i'm currently working on a car calcuation app. i did the math.. lancer ex one month you should be able to fork out $1.2k for car alone

for a bmw 5 series, this figure will jump to $2.5k. think carefully. it's not only the car. fuel, maintenance, road tax. cheers.

Useful to check with PML on OT they could give. The overall price diff maybe minimal considering the many disadvantages associated with PI cars. Bot my F10 in Jun 11 and price was $246,800. After OT, it was around $214k. PI then was $198k.

↡ Advertisement