Malaysia : Road Trip to Cameron Highlands

1fast1

The peak is not at the tea center. Its entrance from the main read is the same. But instead of heading right at the fork to the plantation, take the left side and you will head up to the peak. Incline id about 20 deg towards the top. Just a road that terminates at a look out tower. If its a foggy or drizzly day, best to give it a miss as there's nothing else there if you can't see anything

Ya i agree. My friends went to the peak and they turn back half way cos it is very foggy, can't see the road well. There nothing much just the mossy forest.

Trip advisor forum also commented that the road is very challenging, not suitable for inexperienced driver.

Edited by Dleodleo
↡ Advertisement

Just drive up on Wed mid nite and back Sat. Went up via old road and down via new road (Ipoh).

lucky I took both road. enjoy the different and experience.

Hey bros, any advice if I should book rooms online or just try my luck when I reach CH? Intending to go there during this long weekend. Am itching to leave tmr night right after work, but it'll be kinda LPPL to arrive in the middle of the night right? Or, any ideas where I should have a short stopover during the night before continuing on the journey?

Also, if possible, I don't really feel like taking the NSHW. Any longer detours via the eastern coastal routes etc? Maybe NSHW one way, old roads the other. Advices on which option I should use first? I guess if I chiong thru the night, NSHW will be safer in case s--t happens haha.

Thanks in advance!!

Hey bros, any advice if I should book rooms online or just try my luck when I reach CH? Intending to go there during this long weekend. Am itching to leave tmr night right after work, but it'll be kinda LPPL to arrive in the middle of the night right? Or, any ideas where I should have a short stopover during the night before continuing on the journey?

Also, if possible, I don't really feel like taking the NSHW. Any longer detours via the eastern coastal routes etc? Maybe NSHW one way, old roads the other. Advices on which option I should use first? I guess if I chiong thru the night, NSHW will be safer in case s--t happens haha.

Thanks in advance!!

Make your reservations early. The place likely to be packed for the long weekend. You'll have a hard time getting a room or paying exorbitant rates. At this point, only the most expensive, Cameron Highland Resorts, or the cheapest, those shophouse hotels, might have rooms. Good luck.

You can take either Route 1 or 5, if you choose not to take the NSHW. Night driving on these roads are not advisable as they are poorly lit, if even lit for most stretches. You are better move on the NSHW. Allow around 7 hours from SGP to Tapah. 1.5 hours for the climb. Add a half hour break and it is approximately 8 hours.

Make your reservations early. The place likely to be packed for the long weekend. You'll have a hard time getting a room or paying exorbitant rates. At this point, only the most expensive, Cameron Highland Resorts, or the cheapest, those shophouse hotels, might have rooms. Good luck.

You can take either Route 1 or 5, if you choose not to take the NSHW. Night driving on these roads are not advisable as they are poorly lit, if even lit for most stretches. You are better move on the NSHW. Allow around 7 hours from SGP to Tapah. 1.5 hours for the climb. Add a half hour break and it is approximately 8 hours.

Hi bro Bavarian, ty so much for your advice [laugh]

Still waiting for Cameronian Inn to get back as to whether they still have rooms or not lol.

Pretty much safer if you reserve/book the room beforehand

Eastern route, by Kuantan?

Hey bro,

Yep most likely intend to head back to Sg via that ... road/route 3.

driving late on NSHW is quite stressful leh...take care.

Thanks bro, however ... quite ironically, its usually in the daytime when I get into near misses instead. So far its been pretty smooth sailing when I drive at night. Weird huh? [hur]

driving late on NSHW is quite stressful leh...take care.

Stress? I think uneventful more than stressful.

But to be fair, NSHW is good. Or I know why you stress, is it because of those "HW hooligans" that stress you?"

Hi bro Bavarian, ty so much for your advice [laugh]

Still waiting for Cameronian Inn to get back as to whether they still have rooms or not lol.

No problem. Have a nice trip.

Hey bro,

Yep most likely intend to head back to Sg via that ... road/route 3.

You meant the Cameron-Gua Musang-Lake Kenyir-Kuantan-Mersing route? That would add at least 5 hours to travel time, I think. Might be worthwhile to stopover at Lake Kenyir or the Terengannu coast then, just a suggestion, as total travel time would easily exceed 13 hours if I remember correctly.

Anyone taken Cameron-Gua Musang-Lake Kenyir route recently, last heard some parts of it were still under construction and road condition is not great.

You meant the Cameron-Gua Musang-Lake Kenyir-Kuantan-Mersing route? That would add at least 5 hours to travel time, I think. Might be worthwhile to stopover at Lake Kenyir or the Terengannu coast then, just a suggestion, as total travel time would easily exceed 13 hours if I remember correctly.

Anyone taken Cameron-Gua Musang-Lake Kenyir route recently, last heard some parts of it were still under construction and road condition is not great.

Hey hey, yel that's right. On my 2nd night now in CH, traffic's kinda bad during the peak hours and evening time as another bro has mentioned. Gonna wake up early tmr, have breakfast, before taking that route back home. So far so good over here.. reaching the summit was really a pain in the ass, but some of the scenic views did make it worthwhile i guess. Had a few occasions where i had to ask my gf to help me see if my wheels were gonna fall off the edge of the cliff while giving way to others. Well, gonna have dinner now.. have a great weekend all of ya!!

Neutral Newbie

Hi Hotshot,

You are a brave lass!

Heading north and head towards Gerik Hwy to East coast of Malaysia and head home is a long shot. You probably take 8-10 hours to reach Kuantan. Unless you have a reason to do so because you might be still travelling in the night on the eastern approach back home. Maybe a stop-over at Kuantan would be good.

If you have to cross over to the east side, suggest you head down towards KL and head for Karak highway (around 2.5hrs), afterthat you could use the East Coast Hwy (E8) to Kuantan (around 2.5hrs). Hence you could save some hours on the road this way. From Kuantan to JB (around 5 hrs), road condition is not better then NSHW as the road cut thru some small towns/forests and regularily single carriage way. Therefore advisable to travel in the day instead of pitch dark. Nevertheless, enjoy and take care.

Hey hey, yel that's right. On my 2nd night now in CH, traffic's kinda bad during the peak hours and evening time as another bro has mentioned. Gonna wake up early tmr, have breakfast, before taking that route back home. So far so good over here.. reaching the summit was really a pain in the ass, but some of the scenic views did make it worthwhile i guess. Had a few occasions where i had to ask my gf to help me see if my wheels were gonna fall off the edge of the cliff while giving way to others. Well, gonna have dinner now.. have a great weekend all of ya!!

Hi Hotshot,

You are a brave lass!

Heading north and head towards Gerik Hwy to East coast of Malaysia and head home is a long shot. You probably take 8-10 hours to reach Kuantan. Unless you have a reason to do so because you might be still travelling in the night on the eastern approach back home. Maybe a stop-over at Kuantan would be good.

If you have to cross over to the east side, suggest you head down towards KL and head for Karak highway (around 2.5hrs), afterthat you could use the East Coast Hwy (E8) to Kuantan (around 2.5hrs). Hence you could save some hours on the road this way. From Kuantan to JB (around 5 hrs), road condition is not better then NSHW as the road cut thru some small towns/forests and regularily single carriage way. Therefore advisable to travel in the day instead of pitch dark. Nevertheless, enjoy and take care.

Hi bro Hanyoung,

I wouldnt call myself brave, more like, foolish haha. I really love my ride alot, so wanna bring it to as many places and different environtment as I can before the COE is up hehe.

Had alot of thrills and spills going up CH via the old road in the middle of the night. By the way, thanks for the advice regarding the Gerik route back home, but maybe i'll have to pass on that since it seems like its probably gonna take a long time, and my gf has to work on monday :(

Will probably still go thru Kenyir lake though, wanna soak in the view since I'm so close by.

Note to all who intend to drive up the summit: Pls be careful if your front bumper is low, as turning into the slope from the main road probably might scrape it. I scrapped mine going up n down lol.

Enjoy your trip...been to all the attractions?tonight should have a pasar malam in brinchang.hope you din missed it. cheers. [cool]

↡ Advertisement