National Service in Singapore

Scb11980

NS 2 year still ok. I only cannot tahan after tat bloody 2yrs still ask u go back reservice & taking IPPT & u fail got RT. Work also no enough time to rest. Somemore RT [hur]

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1

The thing is you can't even put your military skills into good use.

I still remember the "garang" look we have to dish out during baynott fighting in BMT.

If one is able to fight back the robbers, especially in our highly conscripted army, it does send a message down to would be aggressors that we do have an aggressive fighting force.

Right here, we are so close to our northern neighbour. Artillery fire can alone destroy our homes without the enemy even requiring to set foot on our soil.

I well trained to surrender, how do we expect them to fight like Gurkhas? Example: I happened to worked with someone who was introduced as an officer during his NS. This officer performance was like retarded (his boss almost scolded him every day for mistakes made that cause their company a lot of profit lost), overlooked one thing or another regularly. I even joke about them with ISO = I Surely Overlooked.

ALL OF YOU ARE WRONG!!!

NS should be about making enough babies to get rid to FTs ^_^

That is where the officers will panicked (if the deliveries were all albinoes)? officers to be put on charge for wrong orders?

That is where the officers will panicked (if the deliveries were all albinoes)? officers to be put on charge for wrong orders?

Then it is truly "Uniquely Singapore" and claim another world No.1 [laugh]

LKY will so proud

U ppl talk so much also no use... Even the officer lead his men "holland" instead of objective.. So whats the point?? I've seen it happening so many a times.. :D :D :D

How to fight a war?? And some times when i was the empire, can see some platoons charging against their own comrades instead of the "enemy"..

If singapore goes into war, some of the enemies will die definitely but due to laughing too much cos of the way they see us fight.. [:p] [:p] [:p]

During reservist in-camp we had retarded officer who can not read map lead us on wrong route march. Ration truck had to be diverted to deliver us lunch. Next day still repeated the same mistake. CO also gave up.

no way...

If Ho Ching or Saw Phiak Hwa is the head of army, we'd lose all the confidence during war times

[laugh]

I believe the problem is we assume/imagine we are well prepared for emmergency. So we become complacent enough to be off guard most of the time.

During reservist in-camp we had retarded officer who can not read map lead us on wrong route march. Ration truck had to be diverted to deliver us lunch. Next day still repeated the same mistake. CO also gave up.

How did he get commissioned as Officer in the first place, unless there is a problem in the selection system?

So this type of systemic failure does not happened only in SMRT, it even occur in the military? [laugh]

But given the short stint to be trained as an officer, it's only a matter of time the memory lapse will set in when one join the workforce. But as an Officer, he should take the responsibility to ensure what he does. The training schedule should be weeks before the reservice and he should have taken initiative to know what are the activities, polish up his skills if he has memory lapse.

That is why I've no confidence in the next generation of conscripted fighting force, despite the boost of technology.

It's amamzing that these people think that technologies will not fail at the critical time.

I would retract all my words if our paper generals can perform such a stunt by leading the troops on the ground in a real war situation instead of hiding in some underground bunkers.

Japanese Army with superior firearms during WW2 lost Papua New Guinea to natives having noctural vision, armed with bows and arrows.

US military with superior technology lost Vietnam War to the Vietcong.

When we assume/imagine we are going to win. We start to relax in order to lose.

Mandatory conscription at such low pay is just like free labour for the government .

In Switzerland, you can serve out parts of your army terms in time blocks instead of 2yrs straight. And you are paid last drawn pay.

Which other first world country has mandatory conscription at 'minimum' wage?

I finish 2 year of ns.

101% waste of time only.

I only learn how to scold cb n lanjiao from spec who scold us everyday with cb n lj.

Till now cb n lj still shooting out of my mouth.

It does occur to me that foul language invented by those who found themselves to be incompetent, desperate to relief stress from the frustration, at that point in time.Hence I believe most of the officers/NCOs are caught in such environment.

There is no reason to worry about proximity to our northern neighbours because Singapore, at least on paper, has a superior air force and navy, as well as longer range artillery, including the "rain of steel" HIMARS that we just acquired. Any piece of land that can fire a shot at Singapore, will be blown to stone age. There is no need to question Singapore's survivability in a quick hot war.

The problem is with a prolonged cold war. Malaysia and Indonesia can impose an air and sea blockade and starve Singapore to death long before a single shot is fired. Or more easily, just withdraw their nationals. Believe me, Singapore will cease to function if every single Malaysian and Indonesian citizen leave.

For starters, SMRT wont have a CEO. In fact, it seems much of SMRT's senior management are PRs.

And let's say we break the blockade by invading them. What's next? 8 years of Iraq style occupation? What will be left of the Singapore economy after such a war?

There is no question Singapore has threats. But being the glass house that Singapore is, if anybody starts throwing stones, we would have lost already. Doesnt matter if we stockpiled more stones than anyone else.

I agree deterrence is important, and we have invested well with the hardware. But does it really that much whether Singapore conscripts gets 2 full years of training or not?

In a real war time, how do soldiers get to their reporting centres? By taking the MRT? Or SBS Bus driven by PRC nationals?

Assumption/Imagination to be safe with superiority is the start of the fall in preparartion/alertness.

Had we got moblilisation for emmergency during the recent train outage, what can be the turn out be?

cb lar u all....so it seem that i wasted 2 yrs o my life in a combat unit...seriously underpaid and over-workrd till near death. the only pple i hate are those leechers who stays in spore as pr and dont serve or wont let their boy to serve ns. back then my ns pay was only 90 during recruit, increased to 130 after bmt and subsequently to 180. served my reservist for the nx 13 yrs without complain n the gov gave me a crappy 2 yrs increment for what i went thru. by the way, we were trained mostly on offensive exercise...so the saying that we are a defensive force is rather lame. the only defensive training we had was when we were converted to a pdf unit on the 10 yr of our reservist. the only thing i learnt during ns time was of collective punishment and listening to orders.....

Edited by Eviilusion
  • Praise 1

If Switzerland is so safe, why do they let their men bring home their service weapon? Every Swiss man has an automatic assault weapon AND ammo. At home. Compare that with the musical chairs we play with our generals, and then tell me with a straight face, Singapore is serious about defence, when bulk of Singaporean soldiers are still an MRT ride or bus ride away from our weapons and a further wait for our ammo.

Tell me that NS is not an issue for the likes of Patrick Tan, Lee Hsien Loong, Lee Hsien Yang, Teo Chee Hean, George Yeo, Lim Hng Kiang, Lui Tuck Yew. Tell them they were silly to disrupt from their full time NS to go for their studies. If they are so resourceful, they could complete their full time NS before studying and everything will still work out the same way.

Either the Elites never believe in NS or total defence. They believe in lip service/ceremonies. If you collect firearms not zeroed, How to be operationally ready? Surrender? Sure die like those who did during WW2 (kranji got many of them).

cb lar u all....so it seem that i wasted 2 yrs o my life in a combat unit...seriously underpaid and over-workrd till near death. the only pple i hate are those leechers who stays in spore as pr and dont serve or wont let their boy to serve ns. back then my ns pay was only 130 during recruit, increased to 150 after bmt and subsequently to 180. served my reservist for the nx 13 yrs without complain n the gov gave me a crappy 2 yrs increment for what i went thru. by the way, we were trained mostly on offensive exercise...so the saying that we are a defensive force is rather lame. the only defensive training we had was when we were converted to a pdf unit on the 10 yr of our reservist. the only thing i learnt during ns time was of collective punishment and listening to orders.....

You can use that as a life long experience of what not to do when you are running your life, family and organisation.

If Switzerland is so safe, why do they let their men bring home their service weapon? Every Swiss man has an automatic assault weapon AND ammo. At home. Compare that with the musical chairs we play with our generals, and then tell me with a straight face, Singapore is serious about defence, when bulk of Singaporean soldiers are still an MRT ride or bus ride away from our weapons and a further wait for our ammo.

Tell me that NS is not an issue for the likes of Patrick Tan, Lee Hsien Loong, Lee Hsien Yang, Teo Chee Hean, George Yeo, Lim Hng Kiang, Lui Tuck Yew. Tell them they were silly to disrupt from their full time NS to go for their studies. If they are so resourceful, they could complete their full time NS before studying and everything will still work out the same way.

Here it seems we prefer to issue firearms to for those who want to commit suicide?

I support the 2 years for a boy transformation to a really man....won't want my son to be a half pass six, half grown man....

Unquote

LoverofCar thinks his/her son will only be a half grown man without 2 years of NS. Doesnt that sounds like he/she thinks his/her son is guniang without NS? Would a Singaporean man think like that? I sincerely hope not.

Do *you* think that without NS, you yourself will only be a half pass six half grown man? If you do, I can only express sympathies for you as well.

It is no surprise Singaporeans are overran by foreigners. We Singaporeans are a self-loathing lot. When you look down on yourself, don't expect foreigners to respect you. 2 years or 20 years of NS wont make you any more or less a man that you already are.

Erm... I asking y u think loverofcar is a guniang aka woman..... Not the son... *facepalm*

Israeli citizens of Arab descent can choose not to serve military service, but most will choose to serve. Because they cannot find a job otherwise. In Singapore, any honest employer will tell you that given a choice, they would rather employ someone without reservist liabilities.

This being a car forum, let's use a car analogy. All else being the same, would you prefer to buy "car FT" , a car you can use everyday, or "car NS" that will disappear for a week or two every year? When you pile in the 20% Employer's CPF, buying the "car NS" makes no sense at all.

Compared that with how the foreigners kpkb about the 10% stamp duty for private property.

Sure NS pay is well higher than the 200 a month I used to collect. But is it close to market rates? Singapore government talk about free market about everything else, so how much would the free market charge for a 2 year contract of a healthy 18yo man? Why ask Singaporean men to disproportionately contribute their youth and money to defence?

Dont the women and foreigners enjoy the fruits of NS as well? Can't we tax them more to raise NS pay?

I like the way you put it.

↡ Advertisement