How problematic is VW's 7 speed DSG?

Kar_lover

Don't get sucked into this VW onslaught...

All those i know who's driving with the 7-spd dry clutch DSG kpkb.

so the wet type is better, reliable though older.... [confused]

Edited by Hamburger
↡ Advertisement

Err...Where got other options that can give 160/240 @ < $130k?

Peugeot 308? I believe cheaper than Jetta but also have some reliability issue and not sure whether discon in SG cos go to sgcarmart under new cars -> peugeot, they only list 308cc, no 308. Maybe can consider 3008, only slightly more ex than jetta but again, have some reliability issue.

Citreon DS3 THP dun like and i want 4 door, tired of 2 door liao. Opel not even listed anymore. Skoda, dun like.

The facelifted 308 is in the showrooms now, i believe with 6sp auto and 156bhp 1.6T

dun want [:p]

what the point to stage 1 then reach the next traffic light 3 secs ahead of other car?

if need the extra kick just switch the gear shift to sport can already.

so what u mod on ur SSS?

my friend SSS is damn fast

So far my SSS only put a drop in filter. :D and also downsize rims cos no $..

What your friend do to his? Interested.

So far my SSS only put a drop in filter. :D and also downsize rims cos no $..

What your friend do to his? Interested.

sure boh no need so humble lah [:p]

what ur planned mod?

I will ask him, but since he got it as a 2nd hand , high chance he will also not know [laugh][laugh]

Neutral Newbie

All 7 speed is leh chye. Be it VW, Mercedes or Bmw. Be prepared to enter workshop frequently. Our country small and city drive is usless for 7 speed

Hi

Been contemplating getting a VW jetta but quite concerned about how serious the 7 speed DSG problem is. I would say its the only thing stopping me now. VW sales guy said its those ppl who mod (chip) the car. But what i heard from others is even not chipped also have problem. Every 1 or 2 month have to visit workshop. And their after sales is not fantastic either.

Anyone here can share?

Basically got VW sell so many cars, out of the 1000 cars they sell, 10 got problems, 990 don't have problems, the 10 will kpkb and the 990 will keep quiet, so gives the impression that they suckz, and many VW drivers go to the workshop every 1 or 2 months for mods....

Neutral Newbie

TS, to what I know, VW 7 sp DSG has 2 problems.

1. MU problem - there is a manufacturing defect for cars manufactured between mid 2009 to mid 2010.

Those who faced problem and was towed back to VCS had the MU changed and problem rectified. Of course, if you are preparing to buy a preown Jetta, maybe you hv to check if they have changed the MU. Thsis problem has been rectified.

2. Juddering issue - VCS said that this cud be due to clutch wearing off. They changed the clutch for those who complained. Some forumers said that problem goes for few months but came back again. Of course for some, it never come back. Some claim that problem cud be due to gear changing too fast from d1 to d2. When you do not step enough on the petrol pedal, the speed change is too slow causing it to judder like a manual gear change. Some people reported this problem at 10k, while others at 30k or 50k. Some claimed that DSG remap to slow the gear change can solve the problem... not sure though.

VW DSG gearbox got lots of problem. my colleague been going to workshop a few times to rectify the problem. The latest problem she faced is that while cruising at the highway, the gearbox suddenly down adjust automatically by itself from 4th gear to 2nd gear even though she did not slow down.

I think sometimes it's because those people don't know how to control the throttle, you have to drive it like a manuel rather than a conventional auto, abit like sillyspeed, sori I meant selespeed

Bear u sure?

Skoda I thought is more expensive then VW

BB model yes. but VRS comparable to GTI so Skoda cheaper when you get VRS lor. (if you get it during a good time of course)

Jetta is made in Mexico right? But funny why those badge concious owner do not refer them as Mexican car,unlike Chevy. Hmm

Chevy as in chervolet?? local chevolet is base on korean design so different case. if they bring in American design, then sure got more ppl buy. :wub:

I am thinking of sending my car to MTM for some happy stuffs but I dunno if that'll void the warranty (apparently so) but Audi can MTM and MTM is one the authorized tuners for VAG.

I like the words "some happy stuffs" [laugh] [laugh]

Basically got VW sell so many cars, out of the 1000 cars they sell, 10 got problems, 990 don't have problems, the 10 will kpkb and the 990 will keep quiet, so gives the impression that they suckz, and many VW drivers go to the workshop every 1 or 2 months for mods....

You must be one of those that make workshop happy every 1 or 2 months. :D

↡ Advertisement