How problematic is VW's 7 speed DSG?

Kar_lover

Same old issue with the dry dsg. I suspect due to mineral oil of dsg degrading over time. Try to do dsg oil change. Can ask reputable workshop. For dry dsg, ad dun replace the gearbox oil because it is supposedly maintenance free. They want u to replace mecha instead. Anyway now audi 5yr warranty. After warranty sell. Same as for most conti car.

↡ Advertisement

That's what they always say... unless it's a totally different gearbox, it can't be trusted. VW also said their DSG "fixed liao, fixed liao", but still same problems cropping up. It's not so easy to fix a design flaw, unless whole thing is redesigned from scratch.

Say fixed liao cannot trust. Say give 10 yr 250k warranty then can.

My DL501, going to be 8th birthday soon. Jerks on the downshift from 3rd to 2nd. Very annoying.

Edited by Ake109

Supercharged

My DL501, going to be 8th birthday soon. Jerks on the downshift from 3rd to 2nd. Very annoying.

is like dat one!

is automated manual gearbox, not auto gearbox, u must learn to drive it like a manual!

VW FTW, DSG WET or DRY equally good & flawless (since 2011)!

anyone who says different must be sour grapes or SEs of rival brands or dun even own VW so not qualified to comment!

[:p]

• Praise 1

Yah. Must put 10years warranty on dsg then I consider buying. Also pay me for every day of downtime due to gearbox. Only then will I believe it's fixed. Else kaki kong kaki song. Talk is free. Edited by Mkl22
  • Praise 2

My Friend's A6 got DSG stalled in the middle of expressway.

Not sure if it's the same inherent issue as the DSG

I was told 2014 onwards DSG are OK? True?

One thing for sure, I'm steering far away from VW & Audi after 6 years of trouble with my VW. Also notice less VW on the road these days. All scrapped? My former SE already jumped ship to Tan Chong...

The last facelifted A6 (Mid 2015 onwards) has the DL382-7F gearbox.

So IF your friend's A6 is the facelifted A6, also need to also know how it got stalled in the middle of expressway.

Was it abused early on (switching from D to R when vehicle still moving), or lightly pressing the brakes when car stationary to prevent auto start-stop from activating (means the gb was half clutching when stationary)? So all these factors we don't know. There are over 60 A4 owners in the whatsapp group chat, only one reported of a weird screeching noise from 2nd to 3rd gear (Still working, just noisy and annoying) and had it replaced already.

The last facelifted A6 (Mid 2015 onwards) has the DL382-7F gearbox.

So IF your friend's A6 is the facelifted A6, also need to also know how it got stalled in the middle of expressway.

Was it abused early on (switching from D to R when vehicle still moving), or lightly pressing the brakes when car stationary to prevent auto start-stop from activating (means the gb was half clutching when stationary)? So all these factors we don't know. There are over 60 A4 owners in the whatsapp group chat, only one reported of a weird screeching noise from 2nd to 3rd gear (Still working, just noisy and annoying) and had it replaced already.

The thing is, people do these things in other cars as well, but the gearbox is pretty solid and able to withstand such abuse. It's a different story for dual clutch gearboxes which apparently need more TLC.

My dad also has a habit of engaging R while car is still moving forward slightly, but his gearbox (conventional auto) is still going strong after 9 years.

My dad also has a habit of engaging R while car is still moving forward slightly, but his gearbox (conventional auto) is still going strong after 9 years.

I m guilty of doing this during quick reverse parking... c how long my dry dct gb can tahan...

For those of you without start/stop, do you shift from D to N at the lights? I find the half clutch when stopped at the lights very annoying.

Drive manual and all these problems stopped. Don't even need to worry about putting in N or P at stop. Pull up parking brake and both legs relak relak...

Edited by Kangadrool
  • Praise 2

For those of you without start/stop, do you shift from D to N at the lights? I find the half clutch when stopped at the lights very annoying.

nope.

believe auto box is designed to be left at D during traffic lights. 

Yes, I noticed there are lesser jetta/golf on the road nowadays compare with 2/3 years back. Every traffic juntcion sure see a jetta. Few years further back more golf 1.2 as well. Passat hardly see them nowadays. I see more tiguan nowadays than jetta on our road.

i put to N then pull handbrake then put to P if i know traffic light wait gonna take longer..

Drive manual and all these problems stopped. Don't even need to worry about putting in N or P at stop. Pull up parking brake and both legs relak relak...

car models i shortlisted dun have manual..

depends what auto. Some auto not so auto.

Traditional auto, leave in D.

Non-traditional auto like robotized manual GB whether single clutch or dual clutch (also known as auto), must put in N. But, high tech Brokewagon already programmed their GB to go in N when off throttle. So, correcto also, just leave in D.

Buying and driving an auto is no longer so easy as what some think. May need to research and take courses to understand simi auto simi not auto even auto....

nope.

believe auto box is designed to be left at D during traffic lights. 

Edited by Kangadrool

. But, high tech Brokewagon already programmed their GB to go in N when off throttle. So, correcto also, just leave in D.

My DL501 at least, doesn't totally declutch when braked and off throttle at a stop.

Can feel the car pushing slightly against the brakes, and also when viewing the instantaneous fuel economy (L per hour), it drops after shifting from D to N at the lights.

↡ Advertisement