How problematic is VW's 7 speed DSG?

Kar_lover

Was at my usual jb workshop and saw a VW gb stripped for changing mechatronics.

So I asked if it's the usual 7dsg and the answer is no.

It's a wet 6sp.

Golden question:

How was the maintenance regime carried out for that transmission?

The Borg Warner Dual Wet clutch transmission is known for its reliability. They supply to VW, Nissan, Mitsubishi under rebranded names. The common problems leading to their failures are due to wrong transmission oil, wrong transmission oil qty, wrong transmission oil changing method, too long frequency of oil change (preferably every 60,000km), wrong filter or lousy filter used. These are common problems we may think it's common sense. But don't be surprised to have workshops making these sort of mistakes sometimes by negligence, ignorance or simply BC. So every time I see this transmission going for repairs, I will go for these questions first.

Was there any tuning to the engine? What tuning was done to the engine?

The gearbox is connected to the engine. This type of Gearbox specification includes the maximum torque transferable, centrifugal stabilization, cooling, flow rate for cooling and actuation. The mechatronics respond according to the program defined in the ECU by actuating the correct solenoids at the right time. By tuning the engine/transmission, you meddle with the actuation and de-actuation logic. This leads to unnecessary wear in the mechatronics and mechanical parts inside the transmission. This is why you should be clear with the modification history of any used VW you are buying.

• Praise 3

Golden question:

How was the maintenance regime carried out for that transmission?

The Borg Warner Dual Wet clutch transmission is known for its reliability. They supply to VW, Nissan, Mitsubishi under rebranded names. The common problems leading to their failures are due to wrong transmission oil, wrong transmission oil qty, wrong transmission oil changing method, too long frequency of oil change (preferably every 60,000km), wrong filter or lousy filter used. These are common problems we may think it's common sense. But don't be surprised to have workshops making these sort of mistakes sometimes by negligence, ignorance or simply BC. So every time I see this transmission going for repairs, I will go for these questions first.

Was there any tuning to the engine? What tuning was done to the engine?

The gearbox is connected to the engine. This type of Gearbox specification includes the maximum torque transferable, centrifugal stabilization, cooling, flow rate for cooling and actuation. The mechatronics respond according to the program defined in the ECU by actuating the correct solenoids at the right time. By tuning the engine/transmission, you meddle with the actuation and de-actuation logic. This leads to unnecessary wear in the mechatronics and mechanical parts inside the transmission. This is why you should be clear with the modification history of any used VW you are buying.

err.. i thought many if not all of those with problem service at agent right? so the question is do they(agent) know how to service a dsg gearbox correctly?... [laugh]  :XD:

• Praise 1

err.. i thought many if not all of those with problem service at agent right? so the question is do they(agent) know how to service a dsg gearbox correctly?... [laugh]:XD:

Don't be shocked by the dirt you can dig from an ownself check ownself workshop. heeheehee

my previous ride was 7sp dsg, 72k still no problem, never always ram accelerator, can count the number of times with 2 hands

quite a nice ride except for the drooping roof lining

• Praise 1

my previous ride was 7sp dsg, 72k still no problem, never always ram accelerator, can count the number of times with 2 hands

quite a nice ride except for the drooping roof lining

Seems like the drooping roofline is a signature of VW as well!

Seems like the drooping roofline is a signature of VW as well!

oh, mine traded over, have signs of dropping as well....bubbling at some corners

• Praise 1

I drive a PCC 1.8Turbo charged, left 11 months to go, DSG is problematic , Megatronic is troublesome indeed, during my tenure o f driving in 2 years, I have changed the mega twice, which caused a bomb, the problem of DSG/ mega is like cancer, it will come back 6mths later yo haunt you, all repair and replaced by a reputable w/s in Sin Ming, what else can thy do ? nothing much really.

In the end, i went to an ordinary workshop of more than 30+ years w/s also in Sin Ming Autocare, he troubleshoot the simplest issue - sensors and gasket replace, as compared to those reputable w/s ppl, they just merely replace the whole damn thing and expect to work like miracle, not counting the thousand dollars wipe out just like that. ( much much cheaper too at this place )

If one really want no problem with PCC, get the 2.0T, 6 speed, lesser issues and headache. [drivingcar]

• Praise 5

oh, mine traded over, have signs of dropping as well....bubbling at some corners

its a $400 job. got mine done at sin ming. and it's even better than factory

I drive a PCC 1.8Turbo charged, left 11 months to go, DSG is problematic , Megatronic is troublesome indeed, during my tenure o f driving in 2 years, I have changed the mega twice, which caused a bomb, the problem of DSG/ mega is like cancer, it will come back 6mths later yo haunt you, all repair and replaced by a reputable w/s in Sin Ming, what else can thy do ? nothing much really.

In the end, i went to an ordinary workshop of more than 30+ years w/s also in Sin Ming Autocare, he troubleshoot the simplest issue - sensors and gasket replace, as compared to those reputable w/s ppl, they just merely replace the whole damn thing and expect to work like miracle, not counting the thousand dollars wipe out just like that. ( much much cheaper too at this place )

If one really want no problem with PCC, get the 2.0T, 6 speed, lesser issues and headache. [drivingcar]

since it's a good workshop,care to mention it here? if not, can pm me. thnx

its a $400 job. got mine done at sin ming. and it's even better than factory

since it's a good workshop,care to mention it here? if not, can pm me. thnx

can let me know the workshop you used to fix the roof lining?

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1