Change car battery

Friendstar

Eng Wah, Vincent will always change battery with your engine on so that it wont lost all your settings. Did he do for you?

I only change battery when it's flat. Like that how?

Once I left my car for 3 months without starting. Battery flat and AA changed for me without engine on.

↡ Advertisement

A really bad battery will stall the engine bcoz it's pulling such a load on the alternator, everything just died.

I jump start a Picnic once. It moves down one level of a mscp, then stalled immediately.

And it was another frantic jump start bcoz it's now blocking traffic. [laugh]

You mean when the car is running and driving, the battery can make the car go dead? [shocked]

Wondering what is the average life span of a car battery nowdays? [:/]

Neutral Newbie

You mean when the car is running and driving, the battery can make the car go dead? [shocked]

Wondering what is the average life span of a car battery nowdays? [:/]

Yeap.

The battery is that bad that it cannot hold any charge.

So the alternator voltage normally 14V will be pulled down by the bad battery, so much so that if it goes below 10V (example), everything else will die.

Your ignition will no longer function bcoz it needs 12V supply.

No ignition, no spark, engine stalled.

Read here:

http://www.troubleshooters.com/dont_disconnect_battery.htm

Some day a well meaning mechanic or naive jump start expert will attempt to disconnect your battery with the engine running. If you value your car and your money, don't let him!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The man from the road service thinks he's being helpful. After he can't jump start your car, he puts in his own known good battery and starts your car. So far so good -- your battery was definitely either run down or bad, and he's proven it.

Now he decides to "test" your alternator by disconnecting the battery. After all, the car's ignition should be able to run on just the alternator's power alone.

Wrong!

The moment he disconnects either lead from your battery, it's entirely possible he caused thousands of dollars in damage. Here's why...

Your battery does more than just yield electricity. It also shorts AC, spikes and transients to ground. Removing the battery from the circuit allows those spikes and transients to travel around, endangering every semiconductor circuit in your car. The ECU, the speed sensitive steering, the memory seat adjustments, the cruise control, and even the car's stereo.

Even if your computers and stereo remain intact, in a great many cases removing the battery burns out the diodes in the alternator, necessitating a new alternator. If disconnecting the battery interferes with the voltage regulator's control voltage input, it's even possible for the alternator to put out hundreds of volts, frying everything.

Even the initial premise was wrong. If you disconnect the battery and the car conks out, you don't know if it conked out due to insufficient alternator current, or whether the resulting transients caused your ECU (the car's computer, which controls fuel mixture, timing, and much more) to spit out bad data, shutting down the car.

Nobody should EVER run your engine without a battery.

And yet when you tell them not to, they'll roll their eyes. "I'm a professional. I do this every day. It's fine!" They'll sound so authoritative. So commanding. So intimidating. But they're wrong.

The problem, of course, is that disconnecting the battery doesn't always damage something. It does it only sometimes. Less experienced jump start professionals and automotive technicians figure if they got away with it a few times, it must be OK.

Don't let them do it on your car. When you call for roadside service, or take the car in for possible electrical problems, or have your battery and charging system checked at a "battery shop", give them this letter.

I disagree with this statement in bold. The writer does not seem to know how an alternator works, converting AC to DC current. Thou I am not 100% electrical trained, I am at least 50% electrical trained.

There is a rectifier in the alternator so u wouldnt see "alternator to put out hundreds of volts" !!!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rectifier

The alternator is like a mobile phone charger which converts ur home AC to DC to charge ur mobile phone. If u leave the charger on and disconnected from the mobile phone, will the charger spoil??? If u parallel the output of the charger to run some other device, will the other device spoil becos the mobile phone is not plugged into the charger???

When changing car battery, just ensure the mechanic parallel the new battery while changing therefore there will not be lost in memory for the HU. Use the jump start cable will do.

Neutral Newbie

Very bad idea to leave the engine running and remove the battery.

The battery is a huge voltage stabilizer, protecting the expensive electricals in your car.

Alternator has voltage regulator which controls the charging voltage.

However, electronics can become defective and allows the alternator voltage to go up high.

so that leaves one question to be answer....

can a car be driven without stalling, and without a battery?? ^_^

Personal experience. My battery completely burnt. AA came and started my car with their battery in a mscp. Then drove all the way from selegie to gul circle without battery.

Another incident. My fren car died. She tried to jumpstart the car with cable connected to another car battery. Still cannot. In the end, I took out my battery and use it to start her car. Then removed my battery and told her to drive from factory in Tuas to Jurong to get her battery changed. She asked why I never connect back her battery. I said no use and no need.

Neutral Newbie

so that leaves one question to be answer....

can a car be driven without stalling, and without a battery?? ^_^

Depending on the car, it's possible but not advisable.

The important point to note is DO NOT leave the engine running while changing battery. If you go to a workshop and see they does that to other cars, RUN! [laugh]

When changing battery, the engine should always be off with the device plugged into the cigarette socket to power the car. I go to Leong Seng and they always do that without fail. Even Nam Wah does that if I remember correctly.

Personal experience. My battery completely burnt. AA came and started my car with their battery in a mscp. Then drove all the way from selegie to gul circle without battery.

Another incident. My fren car died. She tried to jumpstart the car with cable connected to another car battery. Still cannot. In the end, I took out my battery and use it to start her car. Then removed my battery and told her to drive from factory in Tuas to Jurong to get her battery changed. She asked why I never connect back her battery. I said no use and no need.

while we all agree on not advising to idle, let alone run a car without a battery, that sounds a bit risky................ [sweatdrop]

Turbocharged

got mine Amaron 74ah for $165. use that as a benchmark.

where u change S$165 (distrubutor selling at S$200). Amaron 74ah is it only 1 type?

Im going to change it every 12months.....dont want to be skin by all these battery mobile agent

Edited by Mcf777

Turbocharged

After changing battery, the whole car feel so powerful. I love the feel. just like after changing engine oil,

the whole car very smooth.

My last varta battery last only 1year 2weeks without warning..

If can get 165 for amaron, I don't mind changing bat every year.

After changing battery, the whole car feel so powerful. I love the feel. just like after changing engine oil,

the whole car very smooth.

My last varta battery last only 1year 2weeks without warning..

If can get 165 for amaron, I don't mind changing bat every year.

Alot of pple here just talk..what can claim from INS when accident with malaysia car la, honda jazz IVTEC can fly la, Amaron battery cheap la....when asked for details...all MIA

where u change S$165 (distrubutor selling at S$200). Amaron 74ah is it only 1 type?

Im going to change it every 12months.....dont want to be skin by all these battery mobile agent

Not sure how many type but mine is the Pro series. [:/]

Eng wah tyres in toa payoh

Edited by Jumpmanz
↡ Advertisement