Need some answers answered abt fiber broadband

Mllcg

Twincharged

all allow you to use your own router if you are not getting digital phone line. BUT ONT installation is a big scam to screw you of $50++!! what they basically do is bring the fibre converter to your home, plug in the fibre and say bye bye [mad]

they say it is a mandatory service. also, upon termination, you CANNOT return the ONT yourself even if it is next to your home. it is another scam to screw you of another fee in collection [mad]

and don't forget to keep the original box ... if you return without box, there will be packaging charges also.

↡ Advertisement

Twincharged

yes. this is the setup i want.

3 devices only

ONT---> router----> switch----> computers.

only M1 offers it?

when they came down to install for me, they brought the ONT and then plugged it in and then used a device to measure something ... i dunno is it measure or take some reading or what, but they used a device on the ONT.

as for the gateway, they dun even want to touch it, unless you tell indemnify them.

so as far as M1 is concerned, they only have to fix up the ONT. the rest is DIY.

when they came down to install for me, they brought the ONT and then plugged it in and then used a device to measure something ... i dunno is it measure or take some reading or what, but they used a device on the ONT.

as for the gateway, they dun even want to touch it, unless you tell indemnify them.

so as far as M1 is concerned, they only have to fix up the ONT. the rest is DIY.

ok.

so u didnt use their gateway at all right?

only used the ONT?

Well, I am a fibre optic installer, and yes, it is possible to run your own switch in conjunction with the provided router, just that we will not set it up for you. Also, installing the ONT requires the PLOAM password, and checking of your OpenNet point using a GPON meter, so nope, its not very possible to do it on your own :D

Well, I am a fibre optic installer, and yes, it is possible to run your own switch in conjunction with the provided router, just that we will not set it up for you. Also, installing the ONT requires the PLOAM password, and checking of your OpenNet point using a GPON meter, so nope, its not very possible to do it on your own :D

If you guys are shorthanded, can come here to get some part timers....

:D

ok.

so u didnt use their gateway at all right?

only used the ONT?

Ok.. I chop, confirmed, certified, I only got ONT from M1. Router is self supply.

SH got direct ONT connection also... their ONT is provided by Nucleus Connect...

My ONT is also from Nucleus Connect from M1. You can just take the ONT and use your own router

for M1 Fibre.

Turbocharged

I just received a letter from M1 to recontract my fiber BB. currently, I am on 200mbps plan and the recontract is 1Gbps for the same price.

if I upgrade to 1Gbps, do I need to upgrade any hardware in order to enjoy the extra bandwidth?

and do I need to change my router too?

those who have upgraded, you do feel a significant increase in speed?

I just received a letter from M1 to recontract my fiber BB. currently, I am on 200mbps plan and the recontract is 1Gbps for the same price.

if I upgrade to 1Gbps, do I need to upgrade any hardware in order to enjoy the extra bandwidth?

I think (I am noob on this) you need to upgrade:

1) router to support this protocol:

IEEE 802.11ac is a wireless networking standard in the 802.11 family (which is marketed under the brand name Wi-Fi), developed in the IEEE Standards Association process,[1] providing high-throughput wireless local area networks (WLANs) on the 5 GHz band.[1]

This specification has expected multi-station WLAN throughput of at least 1 gigabit per second and a single link throughput of at least 500 megabits per second (500 Mbit/s).

2) use cat6 LAN cables

Cat5: A Little Older, A Little Slower

Category 5 cabling, also known as Cat5, is an older type of network cabling. Cat5 cables were made to support theoretical speeds of 10Mbps and 100Mbps. You may be able to get gigabit speeds on a Cat5 cable, particularly if the cable is shorter, but it isn't always guaranteed.

Cat5e: Faster with Less Interference

Category 5 enhanced cabling, also known as Cat5e, is an improvement on Cat5 cabling. It was made to support 1000 Mbps "gigabit" speeds, so in theory, it's faster than Cat5. It it also cuts down on crosstalk, the interference you can sometimes get between wires inside the cable. Both of these improvements mean you're more likely to get fast, reliable speed out of Cat5e cabling compared to Cat5.

Cat6: Even Faster, But Not Super Necessary

Category 6 cabling is the next step up from Cat5e, and includes a few more improvements. It has even stricter specifications when it comes to interference, and in some cases is capable of 10-Gigabit speeds. You probably won't use these speeds in your home, and the extra interference improvements won't make a huge difference in regular ueage, so you don't exactly need to rush out and upgrade to Cat6.

3) PC to support 1G LAN port

4) etc...

• Praise 2

Supersonic

You'll get more bandwidth on the WAN side. Instead of 200Mbps, now you get 1Gbps.

Depending on what you have currently, you might not need to change your hardware, if the bottleneck is already on the WAN side.

So, I wouldn't throw in money yet on the router.

And you probably won't find much "increase" in speed, unless you have multiple sources demanding on the network at the same time.

• Praise 2

i just changed from singnet 200m to M1 1Gb.

on singnet, i was getting only 50 mbps for download and now M1, i am only getting 60+ mbps for download.

All on WIFI.

any ideas why?

Supersonic
(edited)

on singnet, i was getting only 50 mbps for download and now M1, i am only getting 60+ mbps for download.

All on WIFI.

any ideas why?

Did you try with wired ethernet ?

Wifi is limited by the kind of router you have and the different protocol connected.

Even with wired ethernet, the router should ideally support gigabit port and using cat 5E/6 cable.

A better way may be using router with fibre-to-fibre connection to your PC, but I don't think that's usually available bcuz it's more expensive.

Usually fibre connections are found in high-end commercial servers.

Edited by Kb27

Turbocharged

All on WIFI.

any ideas why?

Your router is very important...should have an AC type.... Btw, you connected with 2.4 or 5.0Ghz?

Twincharged

Your router is very important...should have an AC type.... Btw, you connected with 2.4 or 5.0Ghz?

Very important is also whether the device support such high speed. Like my handpone Sony Xperia z3 can only support max 150mbps ac standar, my laptop also 150mbps max ac, my pC because I buy asus wireless adepter that support up to 1.3ghz, so I Have no issue hitting max speed that I subscribe with starhub 200mbps.

Router also plays an important role too.

I was previously on 200 mbps fibre plan. Upload and download speed when I tested with wired connection to the modem router was about 200+ mbps. Now I have upgraded to 500mbps with a newer dual channel router provided by ISP. However, when I did a wired connection test it is still about 200+ mbps :pissed-off: . Anyone encountered before or know why ?

I was previously on 200 mbps fibre plan. Upload and download speed when I tested with wired connection to the modem router was about 200+ mbps. Now I have upgraded to 500mbps with a newer dual channel router provided by ISP. However, when I did a wired connection test it is still about 200+ mbps :pissed-off: . Anyone encountered before or know why ?

if you are still paying the same price then you are not cheated [laugh][laugh]

• Praise 1

Twincharged

Check you using cat5 or cat6 lan cable? For 500mbps should got cat6 lan cable due cat6 can support up to 1gbps

↡ Advertisement