Scrap car and export to/import into Msia

Dualie

Turbocharged

This maybe an outdate...

my co-worker had scrapped his 10 year old Honda and found it exported to M'sia by local dealer. He is sure his old ride is somewhere now plying the road in that country since the vehicle was well maintained and wasn't involved in major accident.

yeah quite a few cars that were "scrapped" in SG were later exported to MY and used on the road. But AFAIK these are not legally registered for use in Msia.

i.e. no proper papers etc.

In Malaysia, these are commonly known as "cloned cars".

http://paultan.org/2015/04/24/too-cheap-to-be-true-jpj-busts-cloned-car-syndicate/

↡ Advertisement

Please read carefully:

Oh yes, I did. In fact, this MY terms and conditions which I sourced out lead me to the following conclusion:

a) there is NO polices that specifically forbid Singapore scrapped vehicles from being imported.

b) and contrary to your info, Malaysia's MITA does issue AP to registered M'sian citizen or organisation.

c) AP aren't cheap. It is a form of protectionist practice disguise as a "tax" to protect MY own motor industry.

d) Even that, it is not reducing the strong demand for non-MY made cars. (most of the AP cars are high-end Euro models or much sort-after JDM like Toyotas or Honda).

Which leads me back to my initial curiosity of LTA data disposal status showing "Malaysia" on an old scrapped SG-plate Honda.

Here is one example of an SG auto coy that seems to be doing roaring old-auto parts business between both sides of the Causeway. You can see some half-cut European models nicely staked in one of their MY outlet.

http://www.propel-auto.com/aboutus.html

This MY site even laggi more direct and open. On sale a complete car with the SG-plate still attached.

(A black WRX STI now selling for a whopping RM 28,500 !!!)

http://scrapsingapore.blogspot.sg/2014/01/subaru.html

We are selling unregistered scrap car from Singapore to Malaysia.
If deals on, car will be able to collect at Johor Bharu or Klang Valley.

Our 10-yr paper ownership policy is such a wasteful practice.

Oh yes, I did. In fact, this MY terms and conditions which I sourced out lead me to the following conclusion:

a) there is NO polices that specifically forbid Singapore scrapped vehicles from being imported.

b) and contrary to your info, Malaysia's MITA does issue AP to registered M'sian citizen or organisation.

c) AP aren't cheap. It is a form of protectionist practice disguise as a "tax" to protect MY own motor industry.

d) Even that, it is not reducing the strong demand for non-MY made cars. (most of the AP cars are high-end Euro models or much sort-after JDM like Toyotas or Honda).

Which leads me back to my initial curiosity of LTA data disposal status showing "Malaysia" on an old scrapped SG-plate Honda.

Here is one example of an SG auto coy that seems to be doing roaring old-auto parts business between both sides of the Causeway. You can see some half-cut European models nicely staked in one of their MY outlet.

http://www.propel-auto.com/aboutus.html

You can conclude whatever you want. All i can tell you is that there is no AP for Singapore car.

If you can find former Singapore car in Malaysia, it is likely a clone car or clone half cut car.

Edited by Davidtch

Can you double confirm with your motor contacts in M'sia again ?

Coz he showed me the export record from his LTA asset data which classified his scrapped car as "Chassis Disposal Type" - Malaysia.

And under the "EPZ Exit Reason" as "Export"

I am guessing your dealer friend is doing the same type of business as in the quoted newspaper article below.

http://mypaper.sg/top-stories/car-cloning-trade-thriving-malaysia-20150908

Car cloning trade thriving in Malaysia

A MAN who has been running an illegal car cloning syndicate across the Causeway for the last five years gave this assurance: There are no risks.

The Malaysian authorities will never find out and the chances of getting arrested are minimal, provided you buy the car from us, he said.

What The New Paper found out when its reporter recently went undercover was shocking.

The car cloning trade is a thriving one.

Singaporeans living and working in Malaysia are among those who buy these cars, which are scrapped vehicles from Singapore, two illegal dealers claimed.

Why are Singapore's scrapped vehicles prized by people buying them in Malaysia?

For one thing, they are cheap.

Several websites and Facebook pages boast that you can own an eight- to 10-year-old luxury sedan - a BMW, Mercedes Benz or Audi - for between RM14,000 (S$4,600) and RM40,000.

Japanese cars are cheaper.

A Toyota Camry can cost just RM7,800 whereas a Honda Jazz can cost as low as RM9,000.

These sites also promote their cloning services, which include providing fake documents for the vehicle.

John, (not his real name) the cloned car dealer, said: "Where else can you get such a price. In Malaysia, (there's) no COE (Certificate of Entitlement). You can drive your cloned car until you die."

He is among the many cloned car dealers who operate out of states like Pahang, Negri Sembilan, Johor and Terengganu.

Asked if Singaporeans were among his clients, John said in a phone interview: "You are not the first (Singaporean) and you are certainly not the last Singaporean to buy cloned cars. Singaporeans buy clones from me, especially if they have family in Malaysia or work here."

John did not reveal how many Singaporeans have bought cloned cars from him.

Yet, such services are being targeted by the Malaysian authorities.

In April, the Malaysia Anti-Corruption Commission (MACC) and Road Transport Department (RTD) said it had confiscated 153 cloned vehicles, mostly from Terengganu and Kelantan, worth RM13 million.

RTD director-general Ismail Ahmad said the vehicles smuggled from neighbouring countries, including Singapore, were three times lower than the market value.

Mr Ismail was quoted in The Star, saying: "The vehicles, previously declared as total losses in the country they were smuggled from, were sold for between RM20,000 and RM50,000 in Malaysia. This caused our government a loss of RM7 million in unpaid taxes."

It was reported then that the MACC would be calling up all 153 owners of the seized cars.

John explained that there are two types of clones.

A scrapped vehicle from Singapore can be made to assume the identity of a Malaysia-registered car or a Singapore-registered car.

John said: "If you want a Malaysian cloned (car), we will steal the identity of a car of the same model as the one you're buying from us.

"But we will make sure it comes from another (Malaysian) state. This way, the two cars don't meet on the road."

This service will cost an extra RM20,000, John said.

What is included in this package is a road tax sticker, a new engine and chassis numbers, and the possibility of adding your name to the car grant.

One Facebook post by a rival syndicate also lists the prices for each of the forging services required.

A Singapore clone is cheaper. John said his "people" will find a suitable licence plate number, on top of providing a Singapore road tax disc.

Said John: "I recommend to you a Singapore clone because our (Malaysian) police here have no way of checking who's the real owner of the car you're driving. They will only ask for your licence and passport or identity card. "

Like other syndicates plying this illegal trade, John, too, claims he has "inside people" on both sides of the Causeway.

In May, two RTD staff were arrested on suspicion of issuing grants for cloned cars.

More than 10,000 blank road tax stickers and 1,500 car grants were smuggled out of the RTD in Negri Sembilan between November last year and March this year.

On the other hand, there are legitimate websites and Facebook pages selling Singapore scrap vehicles for spare parts use.

Under the MACC Act 2009 and Malaysian Road Transport Act 1987, those convicted of falsifying documents relating to car ownership, road tax, and licence plates face one year's jail, a fine of up to RM5,000, or both.

The penalties are the same for those convicted of driving or selling a cloned car.

THE NEW PAPER

I am guessing your dealer friend is doing the same type of business as in the quoted newspaper article below.

http://mypaper.sg/top-stories/car-cloning-trade-thriving-malaysia-20150908

Precisely my thought.

Why would a scrapped SG car ended up across the Causeway when my friend traded in his 10-years old with a AD with all its official doc duely done ?

We know there are lots of shady dealings and transactions openly practiced right under the nose of the authority and LTA's own record clearly show that is the case.

Neutral Newbie

Can you double confirm with your motor contacts in M'sia again ?

Coz he showed me the export record from his LTA asset data which classified his scrapped car as "Chassis Disposal Type" -  Malaysia.

And under the "EPZ Exit Reason" as "Export"

Even if LTA has classified his scrapped car(10 years old) as a "Classic Disposal Type" it is not eligible for an AP. AP is only eligible for old car under the following types and conditions:

- Classic type and more than 25 years

- Vintage type and more than 50 years.

Pls see this link to a PDF file directly from MITI:

http://www.miti.gov.my/miti/resources/user_1/Approve%20permits/Guidelines/Guidelines_to_Apply_for_Import_Licence_for_Motor_Vehicles_2013.pdf

↡ Advertisement