Worring trend in motor insurance

Limws1

Hi All,

I discovered that nowadays, insurance companies will use the number of reported incident you made to price your insurance premium. This is regardless of whether you are at fault or not, or whether any claim is being paid out. As long as you made a report, they will use it to increase your premium.

I need to renew my insurance soon, went through an agent to get quote from RSA after declaring that I have an accident 2 years ago. The premium was $9xx. When I decided to renew with them, they pointed out I have made another report last year. Despite telling them that last year incident was not my fault because I was hit by another car from the rear while my car is stopped, and I didn't made a claim against the other party, RSA still increase my premium to $10xx.

DA also practise the same method in pricing premium.

So the lesson learnt is that if you do not intend to make a claim, do not report the accident even though your inurance company ask you to. You only penalize yourself.

↡ Advertisement

Hi All,

I discovered that nowadays, insurance companies will use the number of reported incident you made to price your insurance premium. This is regardless of whether you are at fault or not, or whether any claim is being paid out. As long as you made a report, they will use it to increase your premium.

I need to renew my insurance soon, went through an agent to get quote from RSA after declaring that I have an accident 2 years ago. The premium was $9xx. When I decided to renew with them, they pointed out I have made another report last year. Despite telling them that last year incident was not my fault because I was hit by another car from the rear while my car is stopped, and I didn't made a claim against the other party, RSA still increase my premium to $10xx.

So the lesson learnt is that if you do not intend to make a claim, do not report the accident even though your inurance company ask you to. You only penalize yourself.

be it your fault or others... any record just give them a reason to increase whatever and whenever... they are the industry that set their own rules... just rem your ncd % increase the more you pay year after year lol...

Sure, you don't report when you don't claim. But when 1 yr later you receive a lawyer letter with claims of a few k then you gotta handle it yourself

Own car also suka...farking high insurance..and lacks of parking space :wacko:

Taking "World Class" transport also suka...increase fares and kena jammed inside tunnel???? <_<

If all insurance companies have details of everyone's reports and claims, which I believe they do, then why on earth do they ask for details and then quote on the replies given instead of immediately giving a quote on what info the guy requiring the quote gives them.

Stooopid to say the least.

Reasons to void your policy when claiming.

Hi All,

The entire car insurance industry in SG is f**ked and need a major revamp! Why do we keep paying them more when they can't solve the escalating claim problem and keep using creative methods to charge us more? We are simply paying and feeding their incompetency!

It is a vicious cycle and moral hazard!

The insurance company has to set an amount (iirc its 1.5k) as claims under your record

when you make a report.

Thus, when you renew, they need to take that into consideration.

To reverse the effects of your report, you can sign a letter of undertaking to indemnify the insurance company from any claims relating to that report.

All my cliams have been settled.

You made report but never claim against the other driver right ?

The insurance company also cannot determine whether the other driver will claim against you mah.

Actuaries need to take into account number of accidents as well as amount of claims made before arriving at your premium amount.

Edited by Unfair

Hi All,

I believe what they mean is: mercy-mercy, can not cope with too much business. [:p] Or please do not insure your cer.

The entire car insurance industry in SG is f**ked and need a major revamp! Why do we keep paying them more when they can't solve the escalating claim problem and keep using creative methods to charge us more? We are simply paying and feeding their incompetency!

It is a vicious cycle and moral hazard!

Was told got at least one already closed shop due to incompetency/mis-management.

i was told by DA that i need to increase my premium 6 months after i sign with them due to a accident i was hit by e back 2 years ago..

i seriously need to consider to renew with DA again.. i should have choose that india dunno what insurance..

Our gahment is their back up for car insurance.. becos law say that all cars must have insurance...

So insurance company can yaya papaya..