ST Forum: Analyse Jobless Skill Sets To Fine-tune FW Intake

Vulcann

Wonder how much Mr Mohan is advertising to pay for this job?

From ST Forum:

http://www.straitstimes.com/STForum/Online...ory_757592.html

Analyse skill sets of jobless to fine-tune intake of foreigners

Published on Jan 20, 2012

I DISAGREE with the view that foreign workers are taking jobs away from citizens and suppressing the potential pay of Singaporeans (''Foreign talent policy had effect on income gap''; Tuesday).

I have had a business in software services for more than 32 years and I have seen my staffing headcount drop to 15 from 65 because I offshored the work.

My company is automated in every conceivable way possible but there is a minimum number of IT skilled staff we need. We advertise regularly for staff and only about 2 per cent of the applicants can pass the skills test that we set, and even then, just barely.

In one case, the applicant took a toilet break and did not return for the test.

The skill sets of the unemployed should be analysed so we can see which type of person is unable to obtain a job. Once that is established, the foreign worker quotas can be fine-tuned accordingly.

The increase in the minimum salary for employment passes has, in certain categories, just increased employers' costs as suitable Singaporeans cannot be found.

Harendra Mohan

↡ Advertisement

From ST Forum:

I DISAGREE with the view that foreign workers are taking jobs away from citizens and suppressing the potential pay of Singaporeans (''Foreign talent policy had effect on income gap''; Tuesday).

I have had a business in software services for more than 32 years and I have seen my staffing headcount drop to 15 from 65 because I offshored the work.

My company is automated in every conceivable way possible but there is a minimum number of IT skilled staff we need. We advertise regularly for staff and only about 2 per cent of the applicants can pass the skills test that we set, and even then, just barely.

The skill sets of the unemployed should be analysed so we can see which type of person is unable to obtain a job. Once that is established, the foreign worker quotas can be fine-tuned accordingly.

The increase in the minimum salary for employment passes has, in certain categories, just increased employers' costs as suitable Singaporeans cannot be found.

Harendra Mohan

I do agree with him a certain degree, many job applicant is just mismatch and wasted quite a bit of resources be it employer and job seeker side.

I do agree with him a certain degree, many job applicant is just mismatch and wasted quite a bit of resources be it employer and job seeker side.

also for smaller company, they rely on their own ads and with time constraints and no backup, end up not many local apply.

From ST Forum:

Harendra Mohan

I believe he is not alone about it.

Example: ex-colleague I met last week after many years, said many people (building construction contractors) looking for my calibre. He would like to recommend me to them. I had to explained to him: I had enough of these people who do not want to pay upon delivery. Our common Employer did that to me years ago. I believe many/most of those who claimed to have problems employing locals, actually want to pay next to nothing (free-of-charge if can be done) to employees/sub-contractors).

How to find numerous ready supply of free/almost free labour with expertise so easily?

Example: I was drawing (believe to be only one) more than current new MP's salary while we were colleagues. How many contractor(s) want to employ me? Of course I had been approached directly by many contractors all these years already (my expertise: recovered time lost within half the lost time; halfed project delivery time for new project without additional/extra cost).

I think this Mr Mohan is quite stringent in his criteria as the potential applicant need to clear a skills test which he admitted not many could clear.

Maybe it would be better he relaxes a little on the requirement and do away with the test but provide training instead. This is, however, a more time consuming and costly way. Furthermore there is the fear that the folks who completed the training may quit unless he can make them sign some kind of bond to tie them down.

I believe the main problem is that given the pay for rank and file IT workers is nothing to shout about, it is no wonder he have problem getting them. The only way is to get cheap foreign ones but I am quite sure he already has reached the maximum quota for foreign staff and seems to be appealing for more to sustain his business in this letter here.

I think this Mr Mohan is quite stringent in his criteria as the potential applicant need to clear a skills test which he admitted not many could clear.

Maybe it would be better he relaxes a little on the requirement and do away with the test but provide training instead. This is, however, a more time consuming and costly way. Furthermore there is the fear that the folks who completed the training may quit unless he can make them sign some kind of bond to tie them down.

I believe the main problem is that given the pay for rank and file IT workers is nothing to shout about, it is no wonder he have problem getting them. The only way is to get cheap foreign ones but I am quite sure he already has reached the maximum quota for foreign staff and seems to be appealing for more to sustain his business in this letter here.

If he is willing to pay high salary twice the salary than the norm, which has been already bring down by the FT rate, our local will surely go for it.

Take for an example, fresh grad Lawyer salary in 15 yrs ago is 2k, accountant is 1.8k while an engineer is 2.3k.

What are we seeing now? The salary of the carreer which has been influx by FT most will not able to increase in par as other career which has been influx lesser by them.

I believe he is not alone about it.

Example: ex-colleague I met last week after many years, said many people (building construction contractors) looking for my calibre. He would like to recommend me to them. I had to explained to him: I had enough of these people who do not want to pay upon delivery. Our common Employer did that to me years ago. I believe many/most of those who claimed to have problems employing locals, actually want to pay next to nothing (free-of-charge if can be done) to employees/sub-contractors).

How to find numerous ready supply of free/almost free labour with expertise so easily?

Example: I was drawing (believe to be only one) more than current new MP's salary while we were colleagues. How many contractor(s) want to employ me? Of course I had been approached directly by many contractors all these years already (my expertise: recovered time lost within half the lost time; halfed project delivery time for new project without additional/extra cost).

And:

1) To work a 7-day week day and night including PHs especially near TOP and miss social/family life?

2) To be shunned by members of the public and even your family/friends because of your attire plus odour?

3) To comply with authorities' strict requirements, face nasty clients, put up with neow bosses, endure unreasonable consultants, kowtow to consultants site staff, work with play punk sub-cons (nominated or domestic), deal with unreliable suppliers, instruct clueless staff/workers and the most irritating but bo bian part which is to attend to complaining neighbours?

4) To risk life and limb?

5) To "enjoy" all the weather elements, rain or shine?

6) To kena summons because of infringements of the WSHA?

7) To attend to defects even 100 years (ok this part a bit 夸张)after the DLP?

8) To be dragged to court because of civil suits by owners/developers?

9) To keep yourself constantly updated of the latest authority requirements?

10) And the most scary part: To put up with the ups and downs of the hire/fire nature of the constriction industry [sweatdrop]

You 老鸟already are already know all of the above more than anyone else liao but still my advice to you when your kakis ask you again is:

maifz1.png

[laugh] [laugh] [laugh]

In my (admittedly) limited encounters with the lower-educated and unemployed looking for job, unfortunately, I have to say the impression was not good.

Only very few were motivated, eager to learn and therefore trainable, and expected to be committed to the job.

The worst cases even have punctuality and discipline problems... so how to fit into workplace in the first place?? We're not even talking about skills yet - and these are young people I'm referring to, not the middle-age out-of-job looking for work types.

Edited by Sosaria

And:

1) To work a 7-day week day and night including PHs especially near TOP and miss social/family life?

2) To be shunned by members of the public and even your family/friends because of your attire plus odour?

3) To comply with authorities' strict requirements, face nasty clients, put up with neow bosses, endure unreasonable consultants, kowtow to consultants site staff, work with play punk sub-cons (nominated or domestic), deal with unreliable suppliers, instruct clueless staff/workers and the most irritating but bo bian part which is to attend to complaining neighbours?

10) And the most scary part: To put up with the ups and downs of the hire/fire nature of the constriction industry [sweatdrop]

You 老鸟already are already know all of the above more than anyone else liao but still my advice to you when your kakis ask you again is:

[laugh] [laugh] [laugh]

But I see my ex-schoolmates in construction/building related engineering job now enjoy quite nice life and good pay because their skill-sets and knowledge are much in demand overseas, e.g. middle east, where construction is booming.

But I see my ex-schoolmates in construction/building related engineering job now enjoy quite nice life and good pay because their skill-sets and knowledge are much in demand overseas, e.g. middle east, where construction is booming.

Bro trust me the construction industry is a very tough one & those friends of yours deserve every cent they earn.

There are many more things that what was described about that anyone wishing to work for/as a contractor must put up with.

I will never encourage my kids to be engineers, not even going near engines [laugh] , or work in the construction industry.

If he is willing to pay high salary twice the salary than the norm, which has been already bring down by the FT rate, our local will surely go for it.

Take for an example, fresh grad Lawyer salary in 15 yrs ago is 2k, accountant is 1.8k while an engineer is 2.3k.

What are we seeing now? The salary of the carreer which has been influx by FT most will not able to increase in par as other career which has been influx lesser by them.

very true especially for IT, sectors which are flooded with FTs have this problem.

And:

[laugh] [laugh] [laugh]

[thumbsup] I like the way you put it. Time changes. We ned to adapt to the change of time. However, we do age as time goes by. My job has become simply trading my life and limps at construction sites for a monthly salary, which makes it no longer practical to continue. There could be many accidents next time. I just hope ther are not fatal/serious ones.

Personally I look forward to retire from my present job, to manage my latest hobby.

(edited)

[thumbsup] I like the way you put it. Time changes. We ned to adapt to the change of time. However, we do age as time goes by. My job has become simply trading my life and limps at construction sites for a monthly salary, which makes it no longer practical to continue. There could be many accidents next time. I just hope ther are not fatal/serious ones.

Personally I look forward to retire from my present job, to manage my latest hobby.

You still wana climb stagings or risk kena rebars falling from above meh? [sweatdrop]

Or have sleepless nights wondering if the 6m high temporary sheet pile retaining wall will hold in one of those "1-in-50 year" heavy rains? [sweatdrop]

Know this is easier said then done for many in the construction industry, if possible try to leave at your own terms rather than others' or worst [lipsrsealed]

Hope you can realize your dream soon [thumbsup][thumbsup]

Edited by Vulcann
↡ Advertisement