Japan: Going Japan for a holiday

Texas5

Twincharged

sorry OT abit... do you guys prefer taking day flights or redeye flights for midrange flights, eg. to Japan? does anyone find it difficult to sleep during redeye flights?

i ask cause during my recent Japan trip, i couldnt sleep well on the flight there, so my 1st day in Japan was pretty much zombified...

Me too! I always try very hard to sleep but couldn't despite feeling sleepy.

My coming trip to Tokyo in December is a midnite flight thus I plan the 1st day rest and relax.

• Praise 6

Hypersonic

Me too! I always try very hard to sleep but couldn't despite feeling sleepy.

My coming trip to Tokyo in December is a midnite flight thus I plan the 1st day rest and relax.

My coming Dec is morning 9am+. Reach there already 5pm+.

Narita airport some more. So 1st day is basically all spend on travelling.

Night flight advantage is full day on 1st day, but in a semi conscious conition.

• Praise 1

Turbocharged

Redeye with young kids is an absolute nightmare. I will never ever take a red eye again.

This is weird, my young kids usually sleep well at night flights. In day flights need to entertain them... even more tiring

• Praise 1

Hypersonic

This is weird, my young kids usually sleep well at night flights. In day flights need to entertain them... even more tiring

every child different lor.

my girl still managed to zzz like 1-2 hrs.

my son cannot sleep in the seat or being hugged by my wife so he lied down across horizontally over 2 seats leaving my wife seated on less than half a seat. He only fell asleep for a while before its time to land in haneda.

Then reach haneda, all the red eye flights arrived at same times. customs alone took 40mins to clear.

Lucky i got bring videos for them to watch while queuing up.

I alone queued another 1hr + just to get the JR pass at haneda. Queue formed even before office open at 650am. I left the office at 0755 i remember. So essentially from 6am i been standing in queue.

my wife and i collapsed after being allowed to check in at 3pm. and we slept until 6-7pm.

I've never been so shack since i last did overnight calls in hospital.

I was falling asleep standing up in the train before we were allowed to go back 
  • Praise 3

(edited)

my wife and i collapsed after being allowed to check in at 3pm. and we slept until 6-7pm.

so no diff from taking morning flight !!  [laugh]  [laugh]

I reached my airbnb, put bags and walk out for dinner just nice 

Edited by Othello
  • Praise 1

Hypersonic

so no diff from taking morning flight !! [laugh][laugh]

I reached my airbnb, put bags and walk out for dinner just nice

I chose it cos boh pian cos morning departure tickets ran out Liao when I booked in November (departure in April). I already know my kids won't adjust well to redeye flight, but it turned out really jialat.

Next flight to Japan is confirm do the same as you. Or else I wont even bother going.

Hypersonic

I chose it cos boh pian cos morning departure tickets ran out Liao when I booked in November (departure in April). I already know my kids won't adjust well to redeye flight, but it turned out really jialat.

Next flight to Japan is confirm do the same as you. Or else I wont even bother going.

To Japan, peak season have to book real early. At least more than half a year. Cherry blossom is peak season, Dec also peak season. Flight ticket never have good promotion.

Hypersonic

To Japan, peak season have to book real early. At least more than half a year. Cherry blossom is peak season, Dec also peak season. Flight ticket never have good promotion.

yeah lots of people there. Won't go there during peak season again. Though the weather and flowers were nice.

I am not sure if you have prep your young kids for the night flight by planning to make them feel tired at the "right" moment?

I know some parents will think it is going abit far, but my wife and I will do that as we will know what would happen otherwise. For example if the kids had rested very well by a good nap in the afternoon, how do you expect them to fall sleep easily later, especially with the excitement of taking a plane. Also, I would forbid my kids to use the in-flight entertainment system even though they have been paid for haha. It might seems cruel, but there is really not much thing to do if there is nothing there to divert the attention from the lala-land with the lightings being switched off.

To me, some planning and logical thinking would be good to ensure more enjoyment of the trip for myself. But this is not saying you have not done that, as some kids are hyper regardless of situation. 

For me, frankly it is not worth it to take night flight just to save abit of money if the saving is not significant. The kids would be deprived of a flight experience as they are expected to sleep through the few hours on flight, not to mention the unearthly hours to get on the plane. Also the father/mother in-charge of the itinerary would definitely cannot sleep well knowing the challenge facing them when the plane has landed. Especially for those going there the first time. They could have asked their friends/relatives and rehearse the route and required process, but nothing beat doing them the first time, for example buying subway tickets during peak hours with queue forming behind you while you trying to make sense of the bloxxy machine infront of you! So to me, if first time travelling there, try to spend the first day leisurely, taking it as rehearsal eating in restaurants, taking trains, etc., for the chionging after that.

yeah lots of people there. Won't go there during peak season again. Though the weather and flowers were nice.

To me, the best time to go would be Mar/Apr for sakura blooming and Nov/Dec for autumn leaves. And would be crowded like crazy going to the scenic spots. No choice lah.

• Praise 1

Hypersonic
(edited)

my kids didn't sleep that afternoon except my son who naps at noon time. 

They watched videos until they shut the lights off. maybe around 12MN.

Anyway I also cannot really sleep on flights, so i don't blame them either.  Me and my wife took a redeye to NZ before, also not a good experience. But that one boh pian, cos really time on ground very little.

I am not sure if you have prep your young kids for the night flight by planning to make them feel tired at the "right" moment?

I know some parents will think it is going abit far, but my wife and I will do that as we will know what would happen otherwise. For example if the kids had rested very well by a good nap in the afternoon, how do you expect them to fall sleep easily later, especially with the excitement of taking a plane. Also, I would forbid my kids to use the in-flight entertainment system even though they have been paid for haha. It might seems cruel, but there is really not much thing to do if there is nothing there to divert the attention from the lala-land with the lightings being switched off.

To me, some planning and logical thinking would be good to ensure more enjoyment of the trip for myself. But this is not saying you have not done that, as some kids are hyper regardless of situation. 

For me, frankly it is not worth it to take night flight just to save abit of money if the saving is not significant. The kids would be deprived of a flight experience as they are expected to sleep through the few hours on flight, not to mention the unearthly hours to get on the plane. Also the father/mother in-charge of the itinerary would definitely cannot sleep well knowing the challenge facing them when the plane has landed. Especially for those going there the first time. They could have asked their friends/relatives and rehearse the route and required process, but nothing beat doing them the first time, for example buying subway tickets during peak hours with queue forming behind you while you trying to make sense of the bloxxy machine infront of you! So to me, if first time travelling there, try to spend the first day leisurely, taking it as rehearsal eating in restaurants, taking trains, etc., for the chionging after that.

To me, the best time to go would be Mar/Apr for sakura blooming and Nov/Dec for autumn leaves. And would be crowded like crazy going to the scenic spots. No choice lah.

I landed on sunday, and just went to hotel to put luggage down.

Eat a BF then went to Ueno to spend the day until 3pm.

But it being peak season, Ueno park was damn crowded and seriously just a turn off.

Go there also no mood. Just walk through the main path once then go look for place to eat lunch liao.

Everywhere also bloody crowded  [laugh]

Lucky there was toy train cafe on top of the uniqlo building okachimachi, At least the kids enjoyed the lunch and watching the trains.

Edited by Lala81

That's Jpn for you. I guess its the lifestyle there. Dun say holidays, weekends the people there really GO OUT.

• Praise 1

That's Jpn for you. I guess its the lifestyle there. Dun say holidays, weekends the people there really GO OUT.

That's why must stay AirBnB.  Will understand why Jap will go out rather than staying at home.

In 4 seasons countries, Spring and Autumn is the nicest weather for outdoor.

Twincharged

Airbnb removes 80% of Japan home-share listings

Unregistered dwellings taken off site ahead of June 15 law

https://asia.nikkei.com/Business/Airbnb-removes-80-of-Japan-home-share-listings

No wonder my host cancelled my booking for December. [:(]  

every child different lor.

my girl still managed to zzz like 1-2 hrs.

my son cannot sleep in the seat or being hugged by my wife so he lied down across horizontally over 2 seats leaving my wife seated on less than half a seat. He only fell asleep for a while before its time to land in haneda.

Then reach haneda, all the red eye flights arrived at same times. customs alone took 40mins to clear.

Lucky i got bring videos for them to watch while queuing up.

I alone queued another 1hr + just to get the JR pass at haneda. Queue formed even before office open at 650am. I left the office at 0755 i remember. So essentially from 6am i been standing in queue.

I've never been so shack since i last did overnight calls in hospital.

I was falling asleep standing up in the train before we were allowed to go back 

I agree.  Every child is different.  My children sleep or dun sleep in the afternoon can also sleep in nite flight.  I sleep or dun sleep also cannot sleep in plane.  [laugh] [laugh]

• Praise 3

Hypersonic

they can only max rent 180 days per year based on the new law.

Dunno how they going to get around this.

lucky i went liao.

Airbnb removes 80% of Japan home-share listings

Unregistered dwellings taken off site ahead of June 15 law

https://asia.nikkei.com/Business/Airbnb-removes-80-of-Japan-home-share-listings

No wonder my host cancelled my booking for December. [:(]  

I agree.  Every child is different.  My children sleep or dun sleep in the afternoon can also sleep in nite flight.  I sleep or dun sleep also cannot sleep in plane.  [laugh] [laugh]

• Praise 1