Japan: Going Japan for a holiday

Texas5

bro you are going to love Tokyo whether for shopping or for chiobu.

Get the sub way map, get a day pass and travel to the different areas like crazy. Shibuya (the busiest crossing in the world), Ginza, Roppongi, Akihabara, Shinjuku (busiest sub way station in the world) is a must.

Try their maid café.....it's funny and kinki all mix together.

Bro, I will be going in mid Jan. The subway day pass is like our mrt ezlink card? Can take any train and then refund?

↡ Advertisement

Turbocharged

Bro, I will be going in mid Jan. The subway day pass is like our mrt ezlink card? Can take any train and then refund?

Yes, you can take any of their subway (metro), for one day. i don't think it can be refunded.

But the pass cost only around SGD$10/day. Can be bought from a machine at any subway station.

nice thread ... was in transit at Narita mid last year, really have PRC service staffs and a lot of PRC tourists ... maybe Tokyo is not the same as it was when last visited like almost 10 years ago.  But good thing is can communicate in Mandarin with the PRC staffs.

Now thinking of next trip, will be going to Hokkaido, and maybe try Osaka, never been to the inside of USJ.  Does any do that, Osaka and Hokkaido? I know people normally go to Tokyo if going to Hokkaido.

Turbocharged

nice thread ... was in transit at Narita mid last year, really have PRC service staffs and a lot of PRC tourists ... maybe Tokyo is not the same as it was when last visited like almost 10 years ago.  But good thing is can communicate in Mandarin with the PRC staffs.

Now thinking of next trip, will be going to Hokkaido, and maybe try Osaka, never been to the inside of USJ.  Does any do that, Osaka and Hokkaido? I know people normally go to Tokyo if going to Hokkaido.

I have been to Hokkaido and love it , love it, love it.

I make a point to go Niseko ski resort every year for snowboarding.  Ski-ing down a mountain slope with awesome views and powdery snow underneath is an experience no money can buy.

If you go Hokkaido, visit Otaru, Hakodate, Chitose (the airport is there) , Niseko. Sappore.  If you love onsen stuff (not for me though) , Noberitsu is a great place. Lake toya too.  Anyway, Onsen areas are scattered everywhere in hokkaido. The inner Hokiado areas are far and cold,  so I didn't go there. In Sapporo, a must to go is the Sapporo Beer museum. Outside the museum  during snow,  has an extremely romantic feel. Next to it is a grill restaurant, their food especially the grill beef is to die for.

Be prepared for snowing everyday in late Dec-Jan. Sometimes very heavy snowfall as well, but what an experience to see snowflakes pouring onto you.

On 26th March 2016, there will be a first bullet train from Tokyo to Hokkaido. It wlll be amazing.

Don't miss Hokkaido unless you are more into shopping which in that case, Tokyo would be the best. Hokkaido is more adventure and sight seeing. Osaka is really for USJ which they have the Harry Potter rides which USS doesn't have.

Edited by Icedbs
  • Praise 4

Beside the usual touristy spots such as Tokyo, Osaka, Hokkaido, it is good to venture to other places more authentically Japanese with more and more PRC people making their presence felt.

I would suggest you all to google such places like Matsumoto, Hakuba, Kamogochi, Takayama. But of course families with young children would want to include Disneyland/sea and USJ in their itinerary.

• Praise 1

There are tons of places not yet invaded by tourists but preferably you should know a little of the local language. Menus got no pictures one also, no visa or master only jcb or cash [laugh]

Knowing a little of Japanese is definitely helpful especially when it comes to ordering food. But if you know how to read Chinese characters, it is very easy to guess what is listed even without pictures or food samples, as there would be definitely be text-based menus or names of dishes with prices listed on the walls. The restaurant types are very distinctive, either rice set/ramen/yakiniku/yakitori/western/etc with common dishes. Even in those not touristy towns, there would be those more westernised restaurants with well-illustrated food menus that are easy to understand. And you will be surprised by the price of things which are much cheaper.

Nowadays most of the hotels, or even traditional higher-end ryokans, allow use of international credit cards to pay bills. I have used my POSB and UOB credit cards many time to pay for lodging and food and items without fail.

But I understand the fear of what ifs, haha. I have spent enough time there to be confident of what I put down.

What I propose is just to venture out more in order to experience the authentic Japanese experience instead of those touristy cities. Best would be to stay in certain places for longer period and rent/buy a bicycle to explore its vicinity. Would have been much more fun and leisurely.

Turbocharged

What I propose is just to venture out more in order to experience the authentic Japanese experience instead of those touristy cities. Best would be to stay in certain places for longer period and rent/buy a bicycle to explore its vicinity. Would have been much more fun and leisurely.

I agree.

Actually there is no need for anyone to worry about language in Japan. The Japs are always willing to help out anyone who approaches them even if they don't understand a single word of English. So often I got into  situations where they draw on paper to describe or they call their neighbour who understand some basic english.

Their train/subways has English, and thesedays they even make announcement in Chinese.

Edited by Icedbs

I feel that their culture was really contagious, once u step into Japan u will feel it. The respect for individuals and the pride they have towards their job.

Even those prc workers also become better behave (except those tourist), so far my experience with those prc workers in Japan generally quite gd.

According to MCF must be because I'm handsome =D

Edited by Bacteria83
  • Praise 3

What you want to order from here ? [laugh]

menu02.gif

Or here. [laugh]

attachicon.gifnabe.gif

I must be frank that I do not enter every type of restaurant even when I am hungry, especially those 居酒屋. The first menu seems to be from that type of restaurant. I can understand most of the items but do not know how to pronounce some of them. What I will do is to point what I want and say kolewahitoci or futaci or mici if 2 sets or 3 sets. Most waiter/waitresses are very forgiving and they will understand.

The bottom menu is taken from a nabe restaurant, those steamboat type. You order from 1 of the 3 basic types on the right, and can add soup items or noodles. This is more common.

I attach a few more menus that are more common.

post-101253-0-75148500-1451826772.jpg

post-101253-0-22824200-1451826787.jpg

post-101253-0-16453800-1451826792.jpg

post-101253-0-64664700-1451826795.jpg

post-101253-0-35693700-1451826798.jpg

Hi Guys. I will be heading to Osaka. Are you able to recommend any car events/museums/galleries I will be able to visit for car enthusiasts there?

I only know of Osaka Auto Messe in feb. 

Kinda like a smaller cousin to TAS

Xooomer, on 19 Apr 2016 - 3:38 PM, said:

Anyone knows if Osaka is okay for free and easy travel?

depend where u wanna visit..city roaming..easy on own

can take train to Kyoto see temples and swee chio nihonjin

or join local tours

• Praise 1

Yes me 22 days over Chinese New Year.

Fly into Osaka, take a boat from the airport

to Kobe, have a steak lunch and sigh see

and then fly to Hokkaido. No need to go Tokyo.

:D

• Praise 4

Hokkaido is my favourite too. Should try the outdoor onsen with snow falling on your head as you soak in the warm water. Heavenly !

Is it a mixed onsen with both men and women?

As a lesbian trapped in a man's body

I don't feel comfortable sharing an onsen

full of naked men. I don't mind if there are

women around too. To tell the truth I rather

have women around.

:D

• Praise 3

Had almost already decided to bring whole extended family to Japan for 3 weeks in late November, but the recent earthquakes really threw a big spanner into the plan. Now having second thoughts, sian...

↡ Advertisement