Japan: Going Japan for a holiday

Texas5

Had almost already decided to bring whole extended family to Japan for 3 weeks in late November, but the recent earthquakes really threw a big spanner into the plan. Now having second thoughts, sian...

You cannot let these things stop you getting on in life.

I will just send my MIL there instead.

:D  

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 7

You cannot let these things stop you getting on in life.

I will just send my MIL there instead.

:D  

we need to encourage your MIL to join mcf.

your MIL will enjoy reading your posts.  :grin:  :grin:

• Praise 3

will be going to Tokyo in May 2018... planning itinerary now...

You will love it. !

If you are planning for some shopping, you need to give it more time. A lot of shopping stores which I thought I maybe spend 1-2 hours, I ended up there for half a day even though I am not a shopping person.  I was there 2 weeks just for sightseeing and chilling out  and honestly it wasn't enough. And this is from me who gets bored after 1 week in San Francisco or any city in Europe (except Swiss!)  and can't wait to come back.

But I guess the best thing in Tokyo (or anywhere Japan) is the people.  Superbly considerate bunch of people.  Every time when I come back from Japan,  for the first week, I will have this strange feeling like Singapore is a third world country. I need to actually adapt back. Not because Singapore has poor infrastructure, but because our people just doesn't have that culture of consideration for others.

I am thinking of taking a break to visit Shirakawago, the Unesco site and stay in the Ryokan there for a few days in January. To get back to nature and experience simple life where you see people treat others with care and compassion. That's how life should be. 

Enjoy the planning, it will be fun.  You should also plan for a day trip out to Mt. Fuji from a domestic tour company. It is lovely....

• Praise 2

You will love it. !

If you are planning for some shopping, you need to give it more time. A lot of shopping stores which I thought I maybe spend 1-2 hours, I ended up there for half a day even though I am not a shopping person. I was there 2 weeks just for sightseeing and chilling out and honestly it wasn't enough. And this is from me who gets bored after 1 week in San Francisco or any city in Europe (except Swiss!) and can't wait to come back.

But I guess the best thing in Tokyo (or anywhere Japan) is the people. Superbly considerate bunch of people. Every time when I come back from Japan, for the first week, I will have this strange feeling like Singapore is a third world country. I need to actually adapt back. Not because Singapore has poor infrastructure, but because our people just doesn't have that culture of consideration for others.

I am thinking of taking a break to visit Shirakawago, the Unesco site and stay in the Ryokan there for a few days in January. To get back to nature and experience simple life where you see people treat others with care and compassion. That's how life should be.

Enjoy the planning, it will be fun. You should also plan for a day trip out to Mt. Fuji from a domestic tour company. It is lovely....

wow thanks for the response bro! yes i'm really looking forward to this trip! current plan is to spend maybe one night near Mt Fuji (thinking of Fujikawaguchigo) and the rest of the week in Tokyo itself.

will be leaving the kids with my in-laws before going for the trip, so this is considered our 2nd honeymoon haha... both of us are not shopping people though, but nonetheless will still allocate time to walk around the malls...

had a very short 4d3n trip to Tokyo before, so agreed on your comment on SG being like a 3rd world country...

when you planning to go Shirakawago? you need to take a break once in a while bro.

I'm going in April to Tokyo too. Need to start planning and booking accommodation liao.

yup you mentioned before... you will be going with the kids right? Tokyo Disneyland perhaps? but may not be able to take some of the rides... 

yup you mentioned before... you will be going with the kids right? Tokyo Disneyland perhaps? but may not be able to take some of the rides... 

i've been to disneysea before. Not been to disneyland.

yeah. sakura season. Go before my girl goes primary one then cant go non-school holiday trips

i've been to disneysea before. Not been to disneyland.

yeah. sakura season. Go before my girl goes primary one then cant go non-school holiday trips

hows Disneysea? worth going? 

yeah once hit primary school then have to squeeze into the sch holiday peak periods. air tickets and accom expensive... 

we will be just missing the sakura season since going in May, but may still see some if we go Fujikawaguchigo... 

hows Disneysea? worth going? 

yeah once hit primary school then have to squeeze into the sch holiday peak periods. air tickets and accom expensive... 

we will be just missing the sakura season since going in May, but may still see some if we go Fujikawaguchigo... 

It's great. Really enjoyed it but it really depends on whether u like the experience or not. I still enjoy watching animation so it's subjective i guess.

It's great. Really enjoyed it but it really depends on whether u like the experience or not. I still enjoy watching animation so it's subjective i guess.

i see, thanks for the recommendation. will do some research on it. wife is a disney fan so we may consider to go. 

i see, thanks for the recommendation. will do some research on it. wife is a disney fan so we may consider to go. 

Won't regret. It was more fun than i expected. The japanese really love the disney experience. When the park opens, everyone rushes not to go on the rides, but buy the mickey ears so that they wear it the whole day.

But if your wife wants to buy some disney clothing for memory sake, should get that first, afternoon time, women tops all no sizes one.

• Praise 1

wow thanks for the response bro! yes i'm really looking forward to this trip! current plan is to spend maybe one night near Mt Fuji (thinking of Fujikawaguchigo) and the rest of the week in Tokyo itself.

will be leaving the kids with my in-laws before going for the trip, so this is considered our 2nd honeymoon haha... both of us are not shopping people though, but nonetheless will still allocate time to walk around the malls...

had a very short 4d3n trip to Tokyo before, so agreed on your comment on SG being like a 3rd world country...

when you planning to go Shirakawago? you need to take a break once in a while bro.

For Fujikawaguchigo, avoid staying in front of the lake.  Very expensive.

Highland Hotel is a good choice.  My overnight stays include 2 day onsen + Theme park entrance.

Get PASMO card (like our ez-link).  Easy to switch around difference train operator without the need to buy so many ticket.  Somemore, certain food places accept it.

Lastly, land at Haneda & stays around Shimbashi/Hamamucho area (if you choose AirBnB).  Door to door like 30 - 40 minutes via Monorail Express.

Edited by Davidtch
  • Praise 1

Highland Hotel is a good choice.  My overnight stays include 2 day onsen + Theme park entrance.

Get PASMO card (like our ez-link).  Easy to switch around difference train operator without the need to buy so many ticket.  Somemore, certain food places accept it.

Lastly, land at Haneda & stays around Shimbashi/Hamamucho area (if you choose AirBnB).  Door to door like 30 - 40 minutes via Monorail Express.

thanks for the recommendations. 

for Fujikawaguchigo, theres a place recommended by my colleagues who went there earlier this year. still checking out other alternatives. will take a look at Highland Hotel too. 

http://www.weekendshuffle.com/

the last time we went to Tokyo, we bought the JR pass. will research and decide again once our itinerary is more firmed up. 

we will be staying at a friend's place in Tokyo, so free accom  :XD:

i'm ok with ghibli but not that big a fan of it.

my wife is a big fan... 

yeah this is a concern for me, cos i'm taking JAL redeye to Haneda and reaching tokyo in morning. worried about rush hour.

Edited by Lala81
↡ Advertisement