"New Zealand" is 纽西兰 or 新西兰???

Lurpsexx

i think you sld listen to news report as well...............New Zealand has been refer to 新西兰 in ch 8 news for a while already.............even in chinese newspaper it is also refer to 新西兰.....................

this i agree. however, the point one ought to remember is that heuristically speaking, when one romanises the term of reference pertaining to character, place or phenomenon, utmost effort has always been made to ensure that phonetically, the romanised version and the native term of reference do not deviate too far.

under the invasion of the PRC in newscasting and journal report, we are now having official China TV station in singapore.

Australia = 澳大利亚

New Zealand = 新西兰

In office with PRC colleagues, I always make sure I use 澳州 or 紐西蘭, just to let them know where they are.

ya... Australia is now 澳大利亚 and not 澳州...

yes...............this is another point..............

Seoul used to be called 汉城................now it is 首尔...........

this i agree. however, the point one ought to remember is that heuristically speaking, when one romanises the term of reference pertaining to character, place or phenomenon, utmost effort has always been made to ensure that phonetically, the romanised version and the native term of reference do not deviate too far.

that ..................is not for us to decide.............

should be consistent.. either all you follow the pronunciation or all you follow the meaning...

now..some country follow pronunciation, some follow meaning..some half half...

Edited by Baphomet

We were just joking about this just now.. From Wiki, " Taiwan here uses 紐 Niǔ for "New" phonetically in the same manner as 纽约 Niǔyuē (New York), whilst mainland China uses the semantic transcription 新 xīn which literally means "new" in Chinese. "

Heng, New York is still 纽约 Niǔyuē and not 新约 xīnyuē... :wacko: Hahahaha..... [laugh] At least until the Ah Tiongs try to be funny and twist things around their way again...

Things have been changing alot in SG in the last 2 decades since the scums in white open leg wide wide and let in all the foreigners... even our languages and culture have been arm twisted to suit other people's style.. who says Ch 8 is not China infested station now? Kee Chiu!

Singaporeans will be extinct in 20 years.... Chinapore or Indiapore will rise..... Will you still be around then?? Vote wisely.....

↡ Advertisement