"New Zealand" is 纽西兰 or 新西兰???

Lurpsexx

Yup I ķnow New York is name after York of England.

Likewise on New England US or Newfoundland in Canada

So back to TS question on "New Zealand" is 纽西兰 or 新西兰???

The correct Chinese term should be 新西兰.

Now what should New York be called in Chinese?

↡ Advertisement

New Zealand is 纽西å°.

Other names is not valid in Singapore context.

No need to dispute.

official Chinese media in SG already using 新西兰...

official Chinese media in SG already using 新西兰...

That's why Mediacrap.

They made Singapore "bow" to China and forget that we have built up our own identity from independence till the 21st century.  [thumbsdown]

County only.

When they say 坡县, they don't mean it in an insulting way. It's just like how we call ourselves a little red dot.

That's why Mediacrap.

They made Singapore "bow" to China and forget that we have built up our own identity from independence till the 21st century.  [thumbsdown]

Please, could you even bother to read what I wrote?

The problem here isn't exactly about China.

In translation class, one will always learn that the translation of a name should always be what the person prefers. As was the case with Obama who preferred 欧巴马 instead of 奥巴马.

Of course, we don't really know what New Zealand prefers. Yet, in any case, 新西兰 is much more respectful towards the people who gave the country its name (and since they still use it today...). 

Please, could you even bother to read what I wrote?

The problem here isn't exactly about China.

In translation class, one will always learn that the translation of a name should always be what the person prefers. As was the case with Obama who preferred 欧巴马 instead of 奥巴马.

Of course, we don't really know what New Zealand prefers. Yet, in any case, æ°è¥¿å° is much more respectful towards the people who gave the country its name (and since they still use it today...).

Yeah 新约

Turbocharged

this is the second time they try to "standardise" to the so-called Chinese standard

the first time i remember was in the 80s, when they tried to "hanyu pinyinise" not only our names but also the places in Singapore

eg Nee Soon to Yishun, Bukit Panjang to Zhenghua

backfired in the end :D

I'm Chinese and I've hear other folks saying both 新西兰 and 纽西兰 randomly. It really doesn't matter what's correct as long as ppl all know what we are talking about. It's like we call potato 马铃薯 or 土豆. And tomato is called 西红柿 or 番茄 randomly. 

Supersonic

this is the second time they try to "standardise" to the so-called Chinese standard

the first time i remember was in the 80s, when they tried to "hanyu pinyinise" not only our names but also the places in Singapore

eg Nee Soon to Yishun, Bukit Panjang to Zhenghua

backfired in the end :D

Yishun is still Yishun.  :XD: