"New Zealand" is 纽西兰 or 新西兰???

Lurpsexx

yes............refer to west malaysia............because east malaysia is refer to as 东马............... [laugh] [laugh]

i though Xiao ma [:p] [:p]

okay jokes aside...

↡ Advertisement

A

Afghanistan 阿富汗 a1 fu4 han4 Afghanestan

Albania 阿尔巴尼亚 a1 er3 ba1 ni2 ya4 Shqiperia

Algeria 阿尔及利亚 a1 er2 ji2 li4 ya4 Al Jaza'ir

Andorra 安道尔 an1 dao4 er3 Andorra

Angola 安哥拉 an1 ge1 la1 Angola

Anguilla 安圭拉 an1 gui1 la1 Anguilla

Antarctica 南极洲 nan2 ji2 zhou1 Antarctica

Antigua and Barbuda 安提瓜和巴布达 an1 ti2 gua1 he2 ba1 bu4 da2 Antigua and Barbuda

Argentina 阿根廷 a1 gen1 ting2 Argentina

Armenia 亚美尼亚 ya4 mei3 ni2 ya4 Hayastan

Aruba 阿鲁巴 a1 lu2 ba1 Aruba

Australia 澳大利亚 ao4 da4 li4 ya4 Australia

Austria 奥地利 ao4 di4 li4

马来西亚......has been shorten to.........马.......

菲律宾.....already shorten le..............the full name is 菲律宾共和国...........

looks like that one day was here long ago............... [laugh] [laugh] [laugh]

singapore ------> xiao (small) xin? :o

yes............refer to west malaysia............because east malaysia is refer to as 马............... [laugh] [laugh]

last time their PM was Dong Ku

Now Nanji is Nan-Ge (bro)??..... on Umno's chinese facebook :D

singapore ------> xiao (small) xin? :o

singapore is 狮城.......... ^_^ ^_^

xiao xin only happen in la bi xiao xin (蜡笔小新)lah................ [laugh] [laugh]

last time their PM was Dong Ku

Now Nanji is Nan-Ge (bro)??..... on Umno's chinese facebook :D

i not sure if there is a xi ku in malay or not leh.............

I also never follow Nanji face book........he call himself Nan Ge or Ji Ge.........also nothing to do with me leh.......... [laugh] [laugh]

i not sure if there is a xi ku in malay or not leh.............

I also never follow Nanji face book........he call himself Nan Ge or Ji Ge.........also nothing to do with me leh.......... [laugh] [laugh]

come to think of it, this thread has nothing to do with us also.... NZ is 10hrs flight from here.....maybe 12hrs?

come to think of it, this thread has nothing to do with us also.... NZ is 10hrs flight from here.....maybe 12hrs?

mayb nothing to do with you...................but something to do with me....................because i planning a holiday in NZ not far from now mah................ [laugh] [laugh]

in actual fact...................most of the threads here got nothing to do with us leh...................... [laugh] [laugh] [laugh]

Turbocharged

In England, football is played with 22 men chasing after a round rubber ball..

In US of A, football is played with big men chasing after a nut like ball and throwing it around..

So did US of A follow British standardization of the word "football"???

No one is compelled to follow ol Cheena in name standardization, like Taiwan chinese and PRC chinese are also different wat..

Like u said, if the words we are familiar with are not affected, then we OK? Then how did u learn the chinese wording for New Zealand in primary school then? (assuming u were in primary school like 30 years back) Was it xin xi lan or niu xi lan?

Well, you contradicted yourself above, when u said i was anti-PRCs for their naming of new zealand as xin xi lan... which i am sure it was not taught like that to me in school... but u will also be buay song with FT if china decide to internationalise the word "market" as 集市 instead of 巴刹?? So what is your stand? Aren't we talking about the same thing?

I buay song bec things and words are turned on its head, and different from what we used to know of them... so which is right? or maybe all is right or all is wrong??? I'm confused....

who cares about USA when FIFA standardizes football which originates from England?

even in WC, the national team of USA is called USA national football team and not national soccer team

so your argument is invalid

dunno what u dulan for what?

i quote the localised terms is because it's our culture, eg 巴刹 is direct translation from pasar, which is market in Malay

if FT comes and corrects me that i use the wrong word, i will tell them this is our Singapore culture... they have to get used to us, not we get used to them

it's like taxi in Taiwan is called 計程車, China calls it 出租车, Hong Kong 的士 and Singapore 德士

so if China decides to internationalise the name of taxi as 出租车, so be it

we Singaporeans will still call them 德士, but when u go overseas u better know the correct term, or else it will be a joke

u have to understand that Singaporean is a nationality and not a race... we never invent our own language

just like English, we follow British English and not Amercian English...

Turbocharged

dunno what's the fuss about...

last time capital of China was called Peking in English...

then in the 80s China and the West standardized the name to Beijing

so we should also buay song?

who cares about USA when FIFA standardizes football which originates from England?

even in WC, the national team of USA is called USA national football team and not national soccer team

i quote the localised terms is because it's our culture, eg 巴刹 is direct translation from pasar, which is market in Malay

if FT comes and corrects me that i use the wrong word, i will tell them this is our Singapore culture... they have to get used to us, not we get used to them

it's like taxi in Taiwan is called 計程車, China calls it 出租车, Hong Kong 的士 and Singapore 德士

we Singaporeans will still call them 德士, but when u go overseas u better know the correct term, or else it will be a joke

u have to understand that Singaporean is a nationality and not a race... we never invent our own language

si bei ho........... [thumbsup] [thumbsup] [thumbsup]

in china, taking a cab call 打车, shooting goal call 打门, wonder if 打手枪 is commonly use there [laugh] [laugh]

in china, taking a cab call 打车, shooting goal call 打门, wonder if 打手枪 is commonly use there [laugh] [laugh]

i think 打手枪 is international lor.................. [:p] [:p] [laugh] [laugh]

I not here to talk English with you.. FYI, Look at this.. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States...nal_soccer_team

if FT comes and corrects me that i use the wrong word, i will tell them this is our Singapore culture... they have to get used to us, not we get used to them => You took the words right out of my mouth... The words we had been using are now changed to reflect the PRC way of calling New Zealand.. who are they to tell us they are more correct than us?

It was never about inventing our own language; its about changing the way we thought it was by some external factors.. dun u cringe when the ah tiongs ask you where are the 出租车? Bet more than a handful of locals wont know what they are talking abt..

To me its not about who's standardization of wordings that matters.. rather, its about not turning something I know all along, into something else unfamiliar that breeds doubts in ourselves..

Dulan? Where got time.... [laugh]

Beijing was known as Beiping. 北 平 when China was ruled by the Kuomintang. China was then known as Republic of China. 中华民国

In 1928 with the Kuomintang government of the Republic of China, the name was changed from Beijing (Peking) to Beiping (Peiping, 北 平), the name change removed the element meaning "capital" (jing or king,) to reflect the fact the national capital had changed to Nanjing.(南京 )

The Communist Party of China reverted the name to Beijing (Peking) in 1949 again in part to emphasize that Beijing had returned to its role as China’s capital

During the 1950s and 1960s it was common in Taiwan for Beijing to be called Peiping to imply the illegitimacy of the PRC.

Edited by Civic2000